Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’
Quote | Reply
http://www.inquisitr.com/...would-upset-my-kids/

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Mar 16, 15 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they were doing was obviously more important than what everyone else was doing on that road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure seeing Dad arrested for hit and run will be far less upsetting than the blood.
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope they catch the car. Pretty sick.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Fortunately he was wearing a helmet, or I dread to think what might have bloody happened,”

prolly the same thing as happened, looks like.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horrifying and strange. They made a conscious, reasoned (poorly), calculated decision to hit and run, but felt they wanted to explain their reasoning to the victim? I've gotta think these people will be caught. They know too much about them. Is there such a thing as accessory to hit and run to charge the mom with? I think both Dad and Mom in this story are really f'ed up and evil people.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How upset will her kids be when she sitting in jail (hopefully)?
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

I once narrowly avoided getting hit by a car and cursed the driver out pretty good as they drove off. At the next stop light I caught up to them and the old lady driving the car started yelling at me that I shouldn't use "such foul language" because she had her grandkids in the car with her.

I might have used a few more f-bombs while pointing out to her that they would probably be better off hearing some swearing vs going through the experience of their grandmother running someone over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't make this shit up. Seriously...who fucking does that? ETA: I suppose we know the answer to that question now.

I would hate to imagine the driver/mom's reaction had they realized the cyclist was in critical condition or maybe even dead.
Last edited by: Jason N: Mar 16, 15 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
You can't make this shit up. Seriously...who fucking does that? ETA: I suppose we know the answer to that question now.

I would hate to imagine the driver/mom's reaction had they realized the cyclist was in critical condition or maybe even dead.

It is possible they would have done the same thing, just drive off.

Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one of the more appalling stories I have heard, wtf, who does that?

The stupidity of the stories you hear from motorists about their terrible an appalling driving skills and behavior are . . well . appalling. You can't make this stuff up.

They all seem to revolve around two principal axises. 1) A relinquishing of ALL responsibility for anything they do. 2)Brushing it off as, humour and/or making light of it all, even when it's been potentially a very dangerous situation.

My most recent incident involved both. I was nearly run right over in a round about, and had to take evasive action to not be run over by bunny hopping up onto the middle of the round about. I caught up to the offending car and driver at a stop light just down the road from the road about. His window was rolled down so, I asked him, "What the heck he was doing back at the road about?" He laughed it off, and say, "Hey chill. I did not see you. What's the big deal?" Of course the big deal is that I had the right of way, I was right in front of him. He did not see me and unless, I did what I did, I would have ended up being hit by him fairly hard, and pretty seriously banged up. Can their be no more negligent admission on the part of a driver, that he "did not see you" when you were right in front of him? What exactly was he focused on at that time?

The issue I have with this, is that motorists can get off right on up to fatalities by simply saying, "I didn't see the guy" - and the whole system from the police on through the courts, very often buy into this. It's got to be one of the lamest excuses going!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 16, 15 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not seriously hurt? His face looks like a cheeseburger.

I hope they catch the guy and woman. That is truly dispicable in so many ways.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who does that? Maybe it was the same woman that hit me when I was a teenage cyclist.

I was on a deserted road cutting between two office parks. She started to go around me, but cut over before actually clearing my front wheel. I went down in a heap and she actually stopped about 200 feet up the road and got out of the car. As soon as she saw me kind of wriggling around trying to disentangle myself from the bike, and not actually dead, she climbed back in her car and took off.

I still wonder what she would have done if I had been dead or unconscious. Maybe she just wanted to confirm her kill and I disappointed her.
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got hit a few years ago and the car came to a stop with me across the hood TJ Hooker style. First thing the woman who hit me said when she got out of the car was that she was already late for work.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is sad is there are so many people out there in the world like this. It is the "me syndrome"

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

I once narrowly avoided getting hit by a car and cursed the driver out pretty good as they drove off. At the next stop light I caught up to them and the old lady driving the car started yelling at me that I shouldn't use "such foul language" because she had her grandkids in the car with her.

I might have used a few more f-bombs while pointing out to her that they would probably be better off hearing some swearing vs going through the experience of their grandmother running someone over.

I was once cut off by a driver making a right turn; I caught up to her, stopped her at the next stop sign, showed her my badge and gave her a THOROUGH (yet professional) verbal ass-kicking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
What is sad is there are so many people out there in the world like this. It is the "me syndrome"

Yep, I just hope karma doesn't pay a visit to one of their children but if it does I'm sure it'll hit them like a ton of bricks
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I love it when you actually try to help a driver, while I'm cycling and then this happens:

Coming up to a blind curve on a narrow two lane road, I can hear and see with a quick shoulder check, the the car behind me, and also hear the car approaching from around the corner the other way, that the motorist arrears, likely is completely unaware of. So I motion to the car behind with a wave of my left hand palm down, that it might be helpful to slow down and NOT make that pass of me that I know they want to do. What's bizarre, are the many who after heeding my instructions/help, then give me the finger as they pass me!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [ifp123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
showed her my badge and gave her a THOROUGH (yet professional) verbal ass-kicking.

Where can I get one of those badges? Could come in handy.
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
showed her my badge and gave her a THOROUGH (yet professional) verbal ass-kicking.

Where can I get one of those badges? Could come in handy.

(County Police Officer)
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [ifp123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got any extras?
Quote Reply
Re: Teenage Cyclist Hit By Car Told ‘Sorry, I Can’t Stop, It Would Upset My Kids’ [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cycle commute through traffic. I get my fair share of abuse, and I'm a stickler for following the rules. I am numb to verbal abuse now.

On the other side of the coin however, I stop and talk to motorists and let them know when their tail lights of brake lights aren't working. Virtually all are happy to hear from me. I think that helps with engaging with motorists (they then see me as a person, not just another fricken cyclist), and since I pre-emptively help them, they seem to appreciate the help, and hopefully they see the nice side of cyclists.

I also ride with a GoPro and send the police, the bus company and other business, emails and videos of bad driving behaviour. Other than the Neanderthals at the bus company, I get nearly unanimously positive results.

Here in NZ, there has been a much publicised spate of overseas tourists doing stupid things on our roads and several causing fatality accidents. There has been a predictable, but not entirely fair backlash by Kiwis, wanting tourist drivers to get a local licence.

Just the other day I stopped to take a picture of the sunrise, during my morning commute. As I re-entered the road, a van approached, so I let them go past. Then as I entered the road, I almost hit the van as the driver stopped in the middle of the road. A phone appeared out the window and took ages to take a picture of the sunrise I had just snapped. Not a biggie as I was in no rush, but it was a typical tourist thing to do, and the driver was clearly a local. As they finally drove off, the van veered all over the road. I could see through the back window that the driver was now looking at the passengers phone, admiring the photo. WTF? About a block later, the driver then stopped in the road again, and turned down a side street with about 4 no turn signs clearly visible. Now I was getting pissed off.

When I got to work, I sent the video to the company that owned the van (their name and number plastered all over it). I have yet to hear from them but I hope at least they gave the driver an earful.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply