Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Technical Brake and Shifter Question
Quote | Reply
Its possible? or is it possible to have brakes on the flat top of drop bars on a CX bike and on the drops? (I'm sure that I've seen this?)

Is it possible to have have shifters on drops and on aero bars? I'm guess the answer is no.

If its not, is it possible to separate the shifter function on a set of drop bars from the brake function and run the shifters to the aero bars and use the brakes on the drops?

thanks

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Technical Brake and Shifter Question [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Its possible? or is it possible to have brakes on the flat top of drop bars on a CX bike and on the drops? (I'm sure that I've seen this?)

Is it possible to have have shifters on drops and on aero bars? I'm guess the answer is no.

If its not, is it possible to separate the shifter function on a set of drop bars from the brake function and run the shifters to the aero bars and use the brakes on the drops?

thanks

Andrew

Cable splitters will allow you to have dual mechanical braking and/or shifting from multiple locations. I've never used them so I will defer to others on the functional quality.

You could run shifter cables to bar end shifters and brake cables to the brifters - in which case you might be better off with single-speed drop bar levers since the brifters will only act as brakes.

Quote Reply
Re: Technical Brake and Shifter Question [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same splitters as you'd use for a S&S coupled bike?

thanks for the reply, I was thinking along those lines, looking for confirmation.
Quote Reply
Re: Technical Brake and Shifter Question [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done that where I have run clip ons on my road bike. I ran a rear bar end shifter in addition to the regular brake/shifter. Not much need to have the front deraileur shifter in both locations. The two shifter cables ran into a splitter with one cable exiting to the rear deraileur. I did have to add a third cable stop to the down tube. I had Ergopower shifters. These worked really well. If I wanted to shift from the bar end shifter, I'd put the brake/shifter in the highest gear, slackening that cable. That way, the bar end could control all 10 speeds. To shift from the other, set the bar end to its highest gear and shift from the brake/shifter. Easy with Campy because you can shift a lot of gears really quickly to take up or slacken the cable. The only real issue is that cable slack has to go somewhere, so you end up with this kind of loop of slack cable. So it can be done....
Ps yes, same splitters as on S&S bikes.
Last edited by: kjanracing: Nov 20, 14 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Technical Brake and Shifter Question [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats such a good idea - I'm thinking that I only want the rear, so a single splitter

thanks

andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of frame do you have? The challenge may be the third cable stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

These are also referred to as "in-line levers". Found on lots of CX bikes.

http://www.aebike.com/...ar-Black_p_4671.html

I've seen some routing where they take the brake cable routing from the base bar, up to an in-line lever mounted backwards on the aerobar extension, the down to the rear brake. Squeezing either lever will brake. Works much better than a splitter, which tends to bind easily once it gets worn out or dirty.

Hed does make a kit for a 3rd lever:

http://www.hedcycling.com/aerobar-acc/default.asp?content=3rd_Brake_Lever
Quote Reply
Re: Technical Brake and Shifter Question [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are talking about shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Technical Brake and Shifter Question [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a frame, I'm having a custom bike built for my 40th, a sort of jack of all trades master of none one bike quiver.

I'm looking to have it built with S&S couplings and I'm curious as to how flexible a one bike quiver I can make.

So, it will have all the non-aero toys that I want, discs, tubeless, round steeled tube, thru-axles, but at the same time be able to go from 74 degrees to 78 with a forward seat post and I'm not hung up on it, but the ability to run bar end shifters. At the same time, run CX tyres or road.

Basically its a massive compromise but it will fit in a 26*26*10 box for travel, which will be wicked............

All the above is excused by my 40th birthday present and a bike for life.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds great! I'm very familier with S&S. Being a part time frame builder, I built a bike with S&S couplers with two front ends. One front is a fully set up Tri front end, the other is drop bar road. So depending on what I want to ride, I just couple that front end onto the rear triangle. I have a straight seat post for tri, and one with a lot of set back for the road position. The actual, physical, seat tube angle is a compromise between the two positions. The tri is true tri geometry, road is true road. I even used horizontal rear dropouts so I can change the wheel base between the two positions. It's cool, if I do say so myself. AND!!!! I've never paid a bike fee on the airlines!
Last edited by: kjanracing: Nov 20, 14 16:24
Quote Reply