Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tapering questions
Quote | Reply
Im 10 days out from my A race, and first 1/2 iron on the 7th and Im trying to figure out the best training plan and taper for the next 10 days. I know I will not gain any more fitness at this point, but I think I may be able to do a workout or two that may help acclimate me to the race. I have been training about 8-10 hours a week, Swimming is my weakest event and bike the strongest with run in the middle. My longest ride this season unfortunatly has been 55 miles and longest rin was 13 about a month ago. Im thinking I should get one more 50 mile ride, one more 10+ mile run in and one easy track workout with a few 800's and mile intervals at just above race pace.
I was thinking about taking a day or 2 off within 6 days of the race to heal up. Below is the plan.

10 days from race: swim 2000 yards with 100's and 200's
9: Long run 10 + at marathon pace
8: Long ride 50+ with a few 5 min and 20 minute race pace intervalls
7: Swim 2500 Y
6: easy run 7 miles
5: off
4: track workout, 1.5 mile warm up (2 800's, 1 1 miles and 2 400's) all at just faster than race pace.
3:Spin on the bike 20-30 miles with a few 5 minute efforts at race pace.
2: Off
1: Race day

Ive been doing tris for 2 years now, mostly sprints and OLY's. My last races were an OLY last Sun. and a sprint the week before that. Done about 7 races this season. Would like any opinions or recomendations.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Tapering questions [Ken66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken66 wrote:
Im 10 days out from my A race, and first 1/2 iron on the 7th and Im trying to figure out the best training plan and taper for the next 10 days. I know I will not gain any more fitness at this point, but I think I may be able to do a workout or two that may help acclimate me to the race. I have been training about 8-10 hours a week, Swimming is my weakest event and bike the strongest with run in the middle. My longest ride this season unfortunatly has been 55 miles and longest rin was 13 about a month ago. Im thinking I should get one more 50 mile ride, one more 10+ mile run in and one easy track workout with a few 800's and mile intervals at just above race pace.
I was thinking about taking a day or 2 off within 6 days of the race to heal up. Below is the plan.

10 days from race: swim 2000 yards with 100's and 200's
9: Long run 10 + at marathon pace
8: Long ride 50+ with a few 5 min and 20 minute race pace intervalls
7: Swim 2500 Y
6: easy run 7 miles
5: off
4: track workout, 1.5 mile warm up (2 800's, 1 1 miles and 2 400's) all at just faster than race pace.
3:Spin on the bike 20-30 miles with a few 5 minute efforts at race pace.
2: Off
1: Race day

Ive been doing tris for 2 years now, mostly sprints and OLY's. My last races were an OLY last Sun. and a sprint the week before that. Done about 7 races this season. Would like any opinions or recomendations.

Thanks in advance

Don't take the day before off, people usually feel a bit flat after an off day, sub that for Friday or Thursday. Keep intensity up but drop volume, while shortening sessions, increasing frequency helps some too as it keep your body moving. Get your best night of sleep 2 nights out, hard to sleep the night before and you will have an early wakeup. I suggest toning down your workouts 2 days prior. Instead of 5 minute efforts get in 1-2 minute efforts at race pace 2-4x, that is just enough to stimulate the nervous system and allow for good recovery while not stressing the body too much.

Tone down everything outside of your life too, all added stress in and out of training is stress the body needs to recover from Minimal stress can allow for maximal recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would trim days 8,6, and 3 by 30%, and switch day 3 with day 2.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Tapering questions [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not think about doing a brick. Would substituting one of these workouts for a brick be a good idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

And while you're at it cut day 9 to 8 miles and the track day by 2/3.

How long will it take you to do an HIM? Subtract that time from your total training hours in a normal week and divide the remaining time around the workouts you describe (without going over the normal total.)

You said yourself there's nothing to be gained. At least I think you did; I'm sending this in via southern bell rotary phone. Don't overdo it during race week!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken66 wrote:
I did not think about doing a brick. Would substituting one of these workouts for a brick be a good idea?

Running of the bike is not about fitness its a neuromuscular skill. Generally the longer the distance the less reliance you need on it. If you need to keep your body engaged in that then yes, otherwise its not as important.
Quote Reply
Re: Tapering questions [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only guess what Ill do for time. I just did and OLY this week. Swim was at 1:30/10yard pace, bike was at 25.5 MPH pace and I was using my PM 290 watts average, and run was 6:46 pace, but as I said Im new at this and I made a big mistake. I did not bring food. I suffered for a couple of miles on the run until someone gave me a gel. In sprints I run abour 6:00- 6:20 depending on course. I felt good at 290 watts for the 26 mile ride. Im thinking about doing 270-280 for the half. Assuming I do not cramp up I think I should go under 4:30? maybe faster?

scofflaw wrote:
No.

And while you're at it cut day 9 to 8 miles and the track day by 2/3.

How long will it take you to do an HIM? Subtract that time from your total training hours in a normal week and divide the remaining time around the workouts you describe (without going over the normal total.)

You said yourself there's nothing to be gained. At least I think you did; I'm sending this in via southern bell rotary phone. Don't overdo it during race week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your plan doesn't look bad to me. As a race approaches I tend to think of making a swim the last thing I do since it's "easiest" on the body. I disagree with the advice to do something the day before the race to avoid feeling "flat". I just want to rest and think people I see doing anything the day before the race are nuts. For a HIM I want regular workouts and an easy swim three days out. The two days before the race I want nothing but gentle stretching, massage and staying off my feet.
Quote Reply