Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out)
Quote | Reply
 After reading here of the tacx utility app I downloaded it and updated my vortex smart's firmware. -- I actually had second thoughts and unplugged the trainer while the app said 'initializing' and thought I'd escaped and forgot about it.Unfortunately the app is automatic and the next day's ride (yesterday) I got the benefit: I now have to pedal like a lunatic to get any watts.From Strava I have to pedal at 88rpm to get 320watts whereas it was 82rpm before.The trainer was calibrated the morning of the download and didn't need any change.The only thing on offer was 'better ant connectivity' but I never had a drop out anyway.You live and you learn.I'll see how tacx reply but I'm not hopeful.Real pity as I was loving my experience.Bought trainer in mid? october and thought it was great.Using a 2% slope in the tacx app I still get 320 watts at 80 as before so it's something between the trainer software and zwift? Firmware 3.1.13/0.2.7 latest version it says.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [StephenS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may have reset your weight and changed the power appropriately.
Check your personal inputs.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
It may have reset your weight and changed the power appropriately.
Check your personal inputs.
Just checked and unfortunately not but good suggestion,thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [StephenS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh well, looks like you are stuck being software development pig for a company that cannot bring mature product to the market.
Join the club, they got me once, never again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever validated your trainer with an external power meter? It is possible that the update corrected a long standing error in offset and you've been getting a free ride until now.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Have you ever validated your trainer with an external power meter? It is possible that the update corrected a long standing error in offset and you've been getting a free ride until now.
I set a new ftp of 307 with the 'new' settings,up from previous of 300.I calibrated the trainer on saturday but for some reason my legs had no energy so I took the test anyway on sunday pedalling like a lunatic.I use zwift with the trainer climbing resistance off (because of bad knees) but zwift imposes what feels like a 2% slope so people like me don't spin like a washing machine: I used the tacx app to test this by feel and it seems close.On the tacx app,80rpm @ 2% slope still gives me 320 watts.I just warm up for 5-10 minutes and go for 20 then zwift tells me if I have a new ftp.They haven't replied yet but I'm still hoping it's reversible.There is a help tool for TTS4? So maybe I can download that and undo things but I'll wait for their reply in hope.If not I'll use the app and train watching the tv but it's going to be boring.Racing others on a nod or wink was good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just roll your computer back to pre update......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StephenS wrote:
I now have to pedal like a lunatic to get any watts. . . .From Strava I have to pedal at 88rpm

You think 88 rpm is 'pedaling like a lunatic'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacx Vortex gave me an FTP about 50W higher than what my powertap did and I calibrated the same day I tested. Sadly im much slower in Zwift but at least it's accurate now. I also found the tacx to powertap delta varied depending on terrain in Zwift (basically speed of the wheel). Climbing reads high, descending reads low, using the PT a truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vortex smart is only about 95% accurate, so you seem to be in the margin of error.

Also, 82rpm is going to vary on power depending on your gearing, tire pressure, etc.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can align the power outputs a little more by adjusting the roller pressure. It sounds like you should increase roller contact pressure to bring the tacx 'estimate' of power more in line with your PT.

Of course, ...you can also just use your PT and forget about the measurement in the vortex.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't realise you could control the trainer using the app while in zwift,sorry.I won't be able to change direction etc but at least I can still ride at my own cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can change directions on Zwift from the iOS app

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Vortex Smart Latest Firmware Update (Watch Out) [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Reply came back from tacx.A fob off.Still nevermind.You live and you learn.Sometimes too late.
Quote Reply