Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tabata "Swim"
Quote | Reply
Fun swim today....35 min window of opportunity....sprint 25m as hard as I can, recover/catch up stroke 25m. Been doing a lot of 30 seconds super hard/30 second easy biking and running short workouts, but in swimming easier to break it up by lengths.
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try 30 25's of fly on 30". Come in on 20 and its even pretty close to Tabatas protocol, even though he prescribes an intensity of 170% of vo2max.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25's in 15 on 25 is pretty close.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isn't tabata supposed to be only 8 intervals of the 20 seconds on /10 seconds off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to do the 30/30 as close as possible, That honestly sounds like it should be 75's as 50 hard / 25 easy on 1:00 or 1:05. Of course I'd probably skip the 25 ez and just do 50's on 60

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
isn't tabata supposed to be only 8 intervals of the 20 seconds on /10 seconds off?

In the swimming world, it's typically 8x25 all out on 10 seconds rest

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this something that you do during or as part of a full workout? I would think towards the end because you'd be toast if you truly went all-out.
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
1xatbandcamp wrote:

In the swimming world, it's typically 8x25 all out on 10 seconds rest

This is what I do but I'm no fish as it takes me 19-20 sec per length

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Is this something that you do during or as part of a full workout? I would think towards the end because you'd be toast if you truly went all-out.

Sorry, I cannot approve a 4 minute swim workout. Swimming is not a Sunday morning, infomercial type activity where you can get long and lean in only minutes per day. You have got to do other stuff.

I would do this workout after a warm-up. Then the speed set. (And yes, it's all out. And yes, you should be hating life by number 5 of 8 and near death by the end. Then, you sit on the wall breathing heavily and crying. People will look at you but you won't notice nor care. The lifeguards will dial 9-1 and approach you with caution before making a decision on whether or not to press the last 1. After a couple of minutes, you regain your faculties and, for some reason, think that it wasn't too bad.) Then, I'd probably a long kick set. Then do a base-type workout (50s or 100s on 5-15 seconds rest) and cool down.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fun swim today....35 min window of opportunity....sprint 25m as hard as I can, recover/catch up stroke 25m. Been doing a lot of 30 seconds super hard/30 second easy biking and running short workouts, but in swimming easier to break it up by lengths.

I've been doing this on my Vasa, more like 50m "vasa" super hard all-out, and then 50m recovery pace. It always sounds like it won't be that bad, but after about 10 of 'em, I'm dying and dripping with sweat.

I think they actually work even better on a Vasa, since this isn't supposed to be a cardio workout, but a muscular hi-power workout to increase burst strength, and the Vasa totally accentuates it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just a convenient workout that you can do during lane swim without worrying about to hit times at the wall. I think people get too caught up about splitting hairs on times and rest periods etc....in the end the biggest achievement we are try to get to is affect physiological adaptations.....when you can't swim for 4000m 2x per day, and you're time limited, and your environment is a free for all, then sometimes its nice to just do a workout that is not overcomplicated.....sprint southbound, recovery north bound, get out when your time is up. I actually do a lot of rides on my spin bike that are just 5 min warmup, then 15x30 seconds hard/30 second easy....just by feel, no wattage, but they are though for whatever I can sustain that day. Quite time effective too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's actually a good point. One of the "ahem" features of my pool is that the pace clocks are never synced, one is always 2 -3secs ahead of the other. That means that accurate times for 25's or 75's are tough to figure out on the fly (is it 2 or 3 out today, and if I go this way, is it add or subtract, ah screw it, gotta leave for the next one.). So I end up doing a lot by feel. Of course, still get accurate times for 50's, 100's, etc...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's actually a good point. One of the "ahem" features of my pool is that the pace clocks are never synced, one is always 2 -3secs ahead of the other. That means that accurate times for 25's or 75's are tough to figure out on the fly (is it 2 or 3 out today, and if I go this way, is it add or subtract, ah screw it, gotta leave for the next one.). So I end up doing a lot by feel. Of course, still get accurate times for 50's, 100's, etc...

My guess is when you go by feel, you're withing a quarter second of the actual time per length (so 1 second per 100m) that you think you might be on. So seeing the actual clock time ends up being a bonus to confirm what you already know....1 second per 100m is still a lot. Let's assume you're doing them in 80 seconds, that would be 1.25%. That does not seem like much, but convert it to cycling and let's say some guy is riding at 300W, he can instantly feel when you move the computrainer to 305W....it's a bit more than 1.25% but as we know 1 second delta in a viscous medium like water is not a 1.25% difference is effort/power....no clue how much, but it's somewhat proportional to the cube of the speed delta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I haven't been surprised by what the clock tells me in ... 3 years? It does help with send offs though...
Quote Reply
Re: Tabata "Swim" [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today I had even less time....22 minutes before the pool closed but something is better than nothing. Basically I dove in and went as hard as I could for 1.5 lengths and cruised for 0.5 lengths. I started the 1.5 lengths hard (37.5m) at the mid point of the pool to simulate trying to close a gap on a pack that is dropping me to re attach. It was an even more 'fun' workout than yesterday. It probably works out to 30-32 seconds "hard" and 12-13 second easy, but I don't really know....don't laugh that is a fast pace for me (it is all relative).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It's just a convenient workout that you can do during lane swim without worrying about to hit times at the wall. I think people get too caught up about splitting hairs on times and rest periods etc....in the end the biggest achievement we are try to get to is affect physiological adaptations.....when you can't swim for 4000m 2x per day, and you're time limited, and your environment is a free for all, then sometimes its nice to just do a workout that is not overcomplicated.....sprint southbound, recovery north bound, get out when your time is up. I actually do a lot of rides on my spin bike that are just 5 min warmup, then 15x30 seconds hard/30 second easy....just by feel, no wattage, but they are though for whatever I can sustain that day. Quite time effective too.

Highlighted the above for you. My philosophy has always been, "the body only knows that you've applied stress (aka "work")" if you apply a stress that will provide growth accompanied by a rest interval you will get development - or maintain fitness, if that's your goal. Our brains get all wound up on "I missed that interval by 1 second, or I had to cut my workout short and could only do 10 reps instead of 15, etc."

I know for me and many other endurance athletes, the problem isn't getting enough stress during a work week, it's getting in the recovery and appreciating it's value in the grand scheme of things. Can't tell you the number of times I've been called a "hammerhead." I took it as a compliment, but it ain't. My goal for this year is to "force" myself to go easy when I NEED to go easy.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply