Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TT hydration
Quote | Reply
Thinking of doing a local 40k TT. From what I've read the ideal hydration is an aero bottle inside the triangle.
Don't have one.
I can do either BTA (SpeedFill A2) or single behind the saddle.
What's the next best option as far as aero?
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a minimal BTA is the best solution, most likely better than an aero frame bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No bottle. Completely unnecessary for that distance.
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for you maybe. It'll take me about an hour, so I'll go ahead and take some hydration.
Also, It'll be in Missouri. In August. You ever been in the midwest that time of year? there's a possibility of it being 95* by 10am.
Last edited by: srschick: Jul 21, 17 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Trials%3F!_P5221059/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

that's just stupid. i truly think you don't remember that you are posting on a triathlete forum some/most times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you hydrate properly ahead of time then it's unnecessary. Just because some pros do it doesn't mean a thing as the vast majority are pretty clueless when it comes to testing (lots of bottles in the prologue too FFS).

The only times you should have a bottle for a <90min effort are:
1) the bottle reduces drag (drag neutral is acceptable if you're feeling lazy)
2) you have a condition that means you need to drink more than the average soul
4) you're TTing in the devil's asshole (Phoenix)
5) you went on a huge bender the night before

That said, if you insist on it, I'd go with either an Elite Chrono on the downtube (quicker than behind the saddle) or use an 8oz bladder that you tuck into the top of your skinsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Grill wrote:

that's just stupid. i truly think you don't remember that you are posting on a triathlete forum some/most times.

Is she swimming before and running after? No, so right in my wheelhouse. Unless you're saying triathletes are incapable of riding like pure testers (which certainly isn't my experience).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is the whole cry like a biatch thread somewhere.......

BTA if you know you want to drink(did not say "need" as I am with Grill on this, even in the midwest in 95 deg. been there, done that)
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I use a Arundel Crono on my Shiv TT. I like to have it in the heat and humidity.
Last edited by: jellybelly: Jul 21, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A well placed BTA not only improves aerodynamics, but is also a valuable source of simple sugar...which can improve TT performance. I may not "need" to drink in a 40k TT but it will make me feel better if I do it once or twice during the ride. If I can improve aerodynamics in addition that's a great bonus.

I am a solid TT'er, (not quite at your level or Jeff's level) and at the end of the day, as a triathlete anyway, TT's are a side gig. It's nice if I can win a state championship or local series race but at the end of the day it's just a solid workout. I'll probably have done or do something else that day and again the day after (and the day before). You single sporters can approach it with a different mindset that's just not very common or realistic for multisport athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
A well placed BTA not only improves aerodynamics, but is also a valuable source of simple sugar...which can improve TT performance. I may not "need" to drink in a 40k TT but it will make me feel better if I do it once or twice during the ride. If I can improve aerodynamics in addition that's a great bonus.

I am a solid TT'er, (not quite at your level or Jeff's level) and at the end of the day, as a triathlete anyway, TT's are a side gig. It's nice if I can win a state championship or local series race but at the end of the day it's just a solid workout. I'll probably have done or do something else that day and again the day after (and the day before). You single sporters can approach it with a different mindset that's just not very common or realistic for multisport athletes.

That is simply incorrect. A BTA can lower CdA, but it can also raise it. Without testing, it's a crapshoot. As far as 'simple sugars' are concerned, you don't need to ingest any during a 40k. If you feel you need to, then your prerace routine needs work.

Most of us testers are racing not only Saturday and Sunday, but also midweek (I'm currently averaging 8 opens and 2-3 club events a month). Even for the slowest out there, 40k is only 80 minutes of hard effort. There are track SQTs that take more out of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
That said, if you insist on it, I'd go with either an Elite Chrono on the downtube (quicker than behind the saddle) or use an 8oz bladder that you tuck into the top of your skinsuit.

Interesting idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 40K TT in mid July last year and didn't carry a bottle. Drank 16-oz of fluid right before the TT and felt fine afterwards. Temps were in the low to mid 80's back then, so YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Grill wrote:

Interesting idea.

I tuck all gels down the top of my skinsuit, and use an 8oz gel flask for 100 mile TTs. Never tried with water (with the exception of using a camelpack down the front), but I assume it would work just as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Most of us testers are racing not only Saturday and Sunday, but also midweek

that's cute
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:
for you maybe. It'll take me about an hour, so I'll go ahead and take some hydration.
Also, It'll be in Missouri. In August. You ever been in the midwest that time of year? there's a possibility of it being 95* by 10am.

Where at? I've done WNTT in North County (St. Louis) but I'm not aware of a local 40k TT. Interested...

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, is that allowed under UCI regs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Grill wrote:
Without testing, it's a crapshoot.

So which is it?
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Out of curiosity, is that allowed under UCI regs?

No clue, I don't race under UCI regs. I suspect that rucking gels would be fine (as most tuck them into the legs), but have doubts about using any sort of bladder.
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Grill wrote:

Grill wrote:
Without testing, it's a crapshoot.

So which is it?

Talking about two completely different things. The reason I say that a Chrono is quicker than behind the saddle is due to the time needed and contortion necessary for grabbing behind the saddle hydration (whereas you can stay on the aerobars when grabbing from the dt/st).

The second part is in regards to BTA. Depending on how much space, bar choice, extension, angle, position, a bottle between the arms does not guarantee a drop in CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how you always think you're right, and often answer a different question to make your point.
Did the OP ask if they NEEDED a bottle in a 40k TT, no, they asked where to put it.

This is a triathlon forum, are you a triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: TT hydration [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP has never done a 40k TT and asked about what was most aero, hence my response.

As I wrote above, this isn't about triathlons, it's about TTs. Plus I don't remember there being anything in the T&Cs of this forum about needing to be a triathlete to contribute. If you don't find anything I post helpful or relevant, then ignore me. Simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
The second part is in regards to BTA. Depending on how much space, bar choice, extension, angle, position, a bottle between the arms does not guarantee a drop in CdA.

Nor does adding a bladder somewhere on your person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Grill wrote:

Nor does adding a bladder somewhere on your person.

Drag neutral for most as the chest is closed off (certainly no impact on my CFD), and it's the best choice for 100 mile and 12hr TTs (for anything shorter you rarely need more than a few ounces).

Considering how popular high hand positions have become on ST, I'm surprised you would blindly plump for a BTA solution...
Quote Reply

Prev Next