Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: T100 Singapore [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
What’s Jan’s taste in music? I don’t know at all, but I bet it’s shithouse ;)

Aaron made it pretty uncomfortable. He had a VERY heavy kick and I swallowed a lot of water. I would rather have stayed in the lead tbh. As for an increase pace, it’s hard to know, the pack was huge. It’s very difficult to create separation at the moment.

Josh, great of you to drop in. Just how uncomfortable did the water temperature make the swim? The stated temperature was 30.9 so the full swim could take place and I’m assuming it was actually warmer than that. What do you think?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
OOC testing isn’t happening from T100 at the moment. A testing pool was mooted last year but doesn’t currently exist. If he’s not on his national federation testing pool, we can essentially assume he’s not on one at all. We didn’t even have blood spot testing at athlete sign on prior to this race like PTO events in the past. It would be interesting to know if he was tested after his post-race hospital visit, as the other men on the podium were.

It would be great if we we’re all subject to the same testing standards, but that doesn’t seem to be happening at the moment.

Drug testing after just receiving some i.v. infusions at hospital makes not that much sense because of the hemodileting effects of infusions and medications received in hospital. Going straight to ER after winning a race may be a creative way to avoid In-competition-testing which hopefully not become standard in triathlon.

Given the amount of money that is involved in the series the lack of OOC-Tests for participants at t100-series is a big issue, especially after the Collin-Chartier-scandal 2023.
The PTO have a cooperation with world triathlon regarding the process of wild cards selecting so it would be an easy thing to assure, that only athlete who are in a national pool for OOC-testing are eligible for getting an contract or getting a wild card.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ya. They have the data so they are making a conscious decision not to clutter the screen which I find interesting. Would love to be a fly on the wall at the meetings they decide this.

Did you miss the live commentary and the posts above that already mentioned it?

Multiple times during the race, they said it was a technical issue during the men's race. During the women's race, the splits were up.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There it is. Confirmation by the goat himself. Hope all those that spoke badly of him shut up now. All the best for him and hopefully he can show his class soon.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
There it is. Confirmation by the goat himself. Hope all those that spoke badly of him shut up now. All the best for him and hopefully he can show his class soon.
It's not clear about whom you are talking (who is "speaking badly" about (Goats) Frodeno, Brownlee or Ryf?) But if you're referring to GĂłmez Noya, quality quality decision, having travelled out to Singapore on Tuesday, to get back home to be with his mother.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5xfWOBN5SG/
Edit: Classic example of how it helps to press 'Quote' when replying, rather than 'Reply': then people can see the context.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 15, 24 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was replying to my previous comment where I mentioned his dropout was due to the critical state of his mom (I didn't want to say it was her btw).
And I was referring to all people that criticized him for not showing up this time. There are many things more important than triathlon in life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a footnote to my comments, I’ve since been informed that there was 16 OOC tests conducted in Singapore before the race (which they opted for instead of the pre-determined blood spot testing at sign-on), and that Youri was also subject to testing once returning to the race hotel from the hospital. Also, I’m informed the RTP is still in development, which sounds very promising should it eventuate.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, absolutely. T100 is funded for the next several years. One flight is a drop in the bucket.

Just because the PTO didn't drop everything to get Knibb on a start line doesn't mean they have financial trouble. It just means that the world doesn't revolve around Taylor Knibb.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder based on what you think Belinda's great on commentary. She is as terrible as on the Ironman commentary.
No technical comments, just vague sentences, "looks smooth". Unable to follow the race and the timings.
There's an abyss in terms of skills between her and Rinny, for example.
Unbelievably bad.
I echo all the guys mentioning Jack's improvements and Jan being always on point, just great to listen to.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
marcag wrote:
Ya. They have the data so they are making a conscious decision not to clutter the screen which I find interesting. Would love to be a fly on the wall at the meetings they decide this.

Did you miss the live commentary and the posts above that already mentioned it?

Multiple times during the race, they said it was a technical issue during the men's race. During the women's race, the splits were up.

No I didn't.

But my comment is more based on the fact PTO has had more data than they have every chosen to show.
It is a conscious decision although in some cases it may be technical difficulties.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Great Broadcast again. Great camera shots. They covered the back of the bike a lot better too.

I haven't followed the rest of the commentary, but I hope everyone is fuming about the lack of integrity in the officiating. I'd like to say they lack balls, but it's worse than that. The officials are clearly the worst of the euro style officiating that call penalties on imaginary lines that affect nothing and ignore race changing draft packs.

Suit next to your bike? Penalty! Big toe touched the line as you jump off the bike? Penalty!

Massive draft packs constantly yo-yoing? Maybe give them a stern talking to? You kidding me? You see the red light flashing, you make a pass. You don't pass, you get nailed. We can't blame turns and hills for all of this. There was plenty of opportunity to make the pass and the athletes just chose to sit in and back out.

The racing is great, but like last year the PTO has shown its poor officiating is actually getting in the way of the race.
ProTriNews take (Pat/@talbot cox/@tritalkingFacts):
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pro-tri-news/id1559781865
https://stats.protriathletes.org/race/singapore-t100/2024/results

Over-gushing plaudits to the PTO imho. But coverage of the chase was good, especially Long stumbling out of the water, yet recognising he could be a player, and was.

They make the point that it's not the PTO doing the officiating but WorldTri 'blazers' parachuted in. Who have likely never seen Race Ranger in the flesh. If Jan and Belinda recognise how preposterous it is/was and call it out, live (and we could see it all till they quickly cut away to focus on one athlete rolling along alone), then . . . .
I can see LCB beating Gentle in sensible environmental conditions and then all three (with Knibb) going head-to-head-to-head in Ibiza and Las Vegas.
Keulen has booked his start slot in the Grand Final even if he doesn't get another wildcard (but he will).
Lawrence's happy news means she'll probably have one last hurrah in T100 SF, though I guess she might go to London to get three scores before her final semester.

Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
I wonder based on what you think Belinda's great on commentary. She is as terrible as on the Ironman commentary.
No technical comments, just vague sentences, "looks smooth". Unable to follow the race and the timings.
Unbelievably bad.
I echo all the guys mentioning Jack's improvements and Jan being always on point, just great to listen to.

Rinny is good as well (didn't know it was a competition) I think Belinda seemed to have more of a insider knowledge of athletes racing than Jan did, but Jan is Jan so will get a free pass on anything (I'm not saying Jan was bad at all, he was quite good in commentary also)

I think what they was missing in commentary was a shouter, someone getting really excited and screaming down the mic when a pass happens/coming over the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam Long can be very happy about his 2 second place finishes and missing the win in both events Miami and Singapore.

Every single winner of a PTO-Race in the past 2 years faced serious problems right after the win.

Colin Chartier --> Doping

Ditlev, Neumann --> serious injury

Iden, Blummenfelt, Frodeno --> badly sinking shape curve for the following races after the PTO win

Interesting phenomen. It seems to exist something like a "PTO-Curse". We will see how this story will be going on.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
pier87 wrote:
Unbelievably bad.

Rinny is good as well (didn't know it was a competition) I think Belinda seemed to have more of a insider knowledge of athletes racing than Jan did, but Jan is Jan so will get a free pass on anything (I'm not saying Jan was bad at all, he was quite good in commentary also)

I think what they was missing in commentary was a shouter, someone getting really excited and screaming down the mic when a pass happens/coming over the finish line.

I guess that's up for debate, but Belinda is around all races so I'd be surprised she didn't have knowledge of athletes, the problem is that she really struggles with understanding race dynamics and technical elements. I'd rather have silence than "looks smooth" or vague sentences that a non triathlon person could say. But I think I can get over it, considering the overall quality of the T100 production is 10 times better than Ironman races (Oceanside was unbearable).
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [hafu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hafu wrote:
Sam Long can be very happy about his 2 second place finishes and missing the win in both events Miami and Singapore.

Every single winner of a PTO-Race in the past 2 years faced serious problems right after the win.

Iden, Blummenfelt, Frodeno --> badly sinking shape curve for the following races after the PTO win

Interesting phenomen. It seems to exist something like a "PTO-Curse". We will see how this story will be going on.

Don't forget India Lee.

So Knibb and Ash are the only two winners to not have bad luck afterwards. That's kinda funny odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Lawrence's happy news means she'll probably have one last hurrah in T100 SF, though I guess she might go to London to get three scores before her final semester.

Do you think she'll race again? She said due in October which means February-ish
San Fran will put her at ~4 months in. Not necessarily saying you can't be fit, but do you risk that? A bike wreck or anything....

I think London, Ibiza and Las Vegas are out....

Then Dubai and Grand Final are basically a month post

I think this all but guarantees she doesn't fulfill the contract.........
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

Do you think she'll race again? She said due in October which means February-ish
San Fran will put her at ~4 months in. Not necessarily saying you can't be fit, but do you risk that? A bike wreck or anything....

Nice. I really hope she took that contract and got pregnant with this in mind. The people upset (fairly so) with Nike, I hope will insist that PTO continue to pay her.

I agree that racing feels too risky especially as she's pretty close to the high risk age group. I would hope she'd keep her exercise level to age group status, not superhuman pro volume/ intensity.

I actually expect and applaud the PTO for supporting her. I imagine with all the marketing they do based on athlete pay they are thrilled for Holly and this opportunity to tell that story of a pro female athlete mother to be.

The real question is 2025 if she wants to race. Will they have a spot for her? Will she maintain her contract through then?

Of course we can't expect the PTO to fix every problem in society.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 16, 24 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This stuff is really better in a long term T100 Series thread rather than the 'T100 Singapore' one.
Lurker4 wrote:
bulldog15 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Nice. I really hope she took that contract and got pregnant with this in mind. The people upset (fairly so) with Nike, I hope will insist that PTO continue to pay her.

I agree that racing feels too risky especially as she's pretty close to the high risk age group. I would hope she'd keep her exercise level to age group status, not superhuman pro volume/ intensity.

I actually expect and applaud the PTO for supporting her. I imagine with all the marketing they do based on athlete pay they are thrilled for Holly and this opportunity to tell that story of a pro female athlete mother to be.

The real question is 2025 if she wants to race. Will they have a spot for her? Will she maintain her contract through then?

Of course we can't expect the PTO to fix every problem in society.
On the risk of training when pregnant, I think you need to offer a bit more than an intuitive 'gosh I hope she doesn't do too much'.
In other sports we've seen women win endurance sport World Championships at 5 months pregnant. (Liisa Veijalainen is the one I know). Clearly Lawrence is super fit and competitive right now.

And on "high risk age group" have a look at the data: they show that Lawrence at 34 has very little extra risk than the average of mothers 20-35 years old. Is there evidence that taking it easy in the middle six months improves (or even reduces) the prospect of an excellent pregnancy.
San Francisco would be real easy to get to for her; and great 'au revoir' party with her fellow pros.

PTO have a clear policy on pregnancy.
https://protriathletes.org/...ernity-leave-policy/
And one of the elements is that the athlete retains her PTO Ranking effectively from the date of announcement (well notification to Dylan/PTO) till 6 months after birth of the child (or first race if earlier), so till April 2025.
Lawrence therefore did herself a significant favour by racing so well in Miami. She only got offered a 2024 T100 contract because, at the first cut (21 Aug) she was in the PTO top 10 (just! #10). By December she was down in #21.

https://stats.protriathletes.org/athlete/holly-lawrence

But with the Miami result and points she is up to #13. So that should give her a 2024 EoY bonus of $19,000 - I'm assuming they'll take her current ranking rather than her ranking "at time [she] become pregnant".
(Btw, I expect her to drop one place after Singapore because Byram will push her down into #14.)

That #13 (or #14) ranking will allow her to be an athlete offered a 2025 T100 contract come 1 December (the top ten in the T100 rankings get first bite, but #13 in the PTO rankings will assuredly get one of the 'next 6'). Whether she takes that, and commits to racing again in, say, April 2025 (missing the first T100), is less certain/up to her (of course).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 16, 24 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [hafu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hafu wrote:

wow iam surprised, to hear this from such a knowledgeable poster. did not think you are into superstition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can bring receipts. First the good news. She can bounce back and possibly be even better over the next 1-3 years.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35975937/[/url]

Regarding risk, she's right there in the increasing risk factor group. If you've never had a spouse who miscarried consider yourself fortunate. There are many studies that demonstrate the rapid increase in risk with age. Changing from 10% to 14% isn't just a few percent but a 40% increase in risk.
https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.l869
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15525717/

Some might require you to login.

Regarding possible damage to the child at high intensities, here's one that I hope out does your anecdotal data:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21393257/

It's all a game of risk. Age is a risk, high intensity adds in another risk. I'm not saying it's certain anything can go wrong. I'm just saying after holding a crying mother wondering what she's doing something wrong multiple times, it's reasonable advice back off of super human peak athleticism performances. No one is saying exercise is bad. Mitigate risk where reasonable. Obviously, her body, her life, her choices. We talk all the time about why an athlete would choose or not choose to race Oceanside/Singapore for their career, schedule, distance,desires, etc. I guess the private nature of this risks rubbing people the wrong way. I'm just pointing out good advice supported by science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
Great Broadcast again. Great camera shots. They covered the back of the bike a lot better too.

I haven't followed the rest of the commentary, but I hope everyone is fuming about the lack of integrity in the officiating. I'd like to say they lack balls, but it's worse than that. The officials are clearly the worst of the euro style officiating that call penalties on imaginary lines that affect nothing and ignore race changing draft packs.

Suit next to your bike? Penalty! Big toe touched the line as you jump off the bike? Penalty!

Massive draft packs constantly yo-yoing? Maybe give them a stern talking to? You kidding me? You see the red light flashing, you make a pass. You don't pass, you get nailed. We can't blame turns and hills for all of this. There was plenty of opportunity to make the pass and the athletes just chose to sit in and back out.

The racing is great, but like last year the PTO has shown its poor officiating is actually getting in the way of the race.

https://stats.protriathletes.org/race/singapore-t100/2024/results

My favourite part of that podcast was the very straight-faced rundown of Youri Keulen's coach's background...
Last edited by: cherry_bomb: Apr 16, 24 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
My favourite part of that podcast was the very straight-faced rundown of Youri Keulen's coach's background...

+1

the podcast is really growing on me
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 16, 24 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is mentioned over and over again at every single race, but the T100 is really missing out on storylines by not covering anything other than the front of the race. I’d have never have know this battle happened without stumbling onto these comments. “Death before DNF” is a great line from Bradley as well.

Last edited by: Lagoon: Apr 16, 24 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Well there were lots of excellent obliques but that minute was articulated with 'care', brimming with subliminal insight.
I hope Keulen did not inflict any lasting damage to himself. "Put me back on my bike!"
Lagoon wrote:
This is mentioned over and over again at every single race, but the T100 is really missing out on storylines by not covering anything other than the front of the race. I’d have never have know this battle happened without stumbling onto these comments.
Tbf I thought that the coverage did better than any race I've seen before to catch many of the significant movers. I'm sure Chevalier and Weiss had a great battle (and for survival) through the run but it was for #12 place 13 minutes back while the winners were winning. Gutted (for McNamee) not to catch the Noodt melt as the 'Welshman' in the colours of the Scottish saltire ran past him and Smith ran past in the last mile.
We saw Long power past Chevalier and that was to move to, what. #18: well done for catching. We saw Brownlee work his way up to Noodt and Smith and then stoop for the penalty, and then chase Heemeryck, till he stopped. They gave Keulen fair coverage but recognised that alone that needed to be kept to 10 second clips (to recognise he was the hare and others hounds).
We saw the to and fro of Lucy squared. And Gentle inexorably gobbling up her deficit to LCB. Good coverage of the 5/4/6 woman train (Lee, Gentle et al, and then Visser) who seemed to cope with Race Ranger and that pesky 20m gap rule rather better than the men.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 16, 24 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes it is important to state some facts. And let people make their mind....

I was thinking that the bottom 3 contracted athletes 'should' risk being out of the series if they are in the top 20 by Ibiza. This relegation game is quite typical of how team sports work in Europe and make for a interesting plot for the back end of races.
Weiss is currently ranked 21th, Kanute 22th and Mignon 23th.
Leon Chevalier who had AWFUL bike performances in both races is ranked 14th due to his efforts to make it to the end. Wondering if he treats the races as training for the bigger game (Kona) but i cannot understand how he can go from being close to Wurf especially with the more challenging course in Singapore!
Quote Reply

Prev Next