Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Base Trainings
Quote | Reply
This year I decide to change my focus on triathlon from SPRINT / OLYMPIC distance to a 1/2 Ironman with main goal of doing a Full IM next year in may.

Due to my decision my coach decided to give me a bigger BASE Training which will go until April this year. For cycling ( my strongest sport ) and running ( my worse one... ) I can handle doing slow trainings and I can feel I'm getting stronger...

But Swimming is becoming very hard !!!! I'm feeling that I'm getting worse than last year... Normally I can handle 1' 35'' for 1000 meters. But now I'm on 1'45'' ... with this I'm getting very unmotiveted !!!

I'm receiving training with a volume of 8000 meters per week very focus on crawl... Do I have to train other styles ?...

Any thoughts ????

Thanks....

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Base Trainings [Leng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First thing I'd look at is overtraining. Any time the times start to go backward, i'd take a hard look.

Past that, another thing to consider is how long ou've been doidna certain type of workout. i was just reading a paper showing that after 6 to 8 weeks you'll stop improving in swimming by adding speed to a given number of repeats.

On the other hand, repeats to a given set at the same speed will work for a bout 16 weeks. If you're at the edge of utility of one of these types fo workouts it might be time to cinsider shaking things up a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Base Trainings [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also make sure that you are really focusing on stroke. Sometimes when you start training a lot in the water you lose focus on the stroke and just focus on completing the set. This has more of an affect than you would think. Also, have you made any adjustments to your stroke? Sometimes adjustments can really set you back for a while.

In response to your question on stroke. Mainly crawl is okay as long as you are doing enough of the other strokes that you are comfortable in them. Doing other strokes will help to keep you body balanced and prevent injuries but the other stroke stuff only needs to be about 10 - 15% of your workouts.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply