Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice)
Quote | Reply
Over the last couple of days I came up with what I call the "swimmer's pose". This is a full body stance that has the lead arm with downed shoulder, recovering arm, and high leg position (back leg) which is so important for proper attitude in the water. Demonstrating below is the Dynamo, who being a AAA swimmer has no problem w/complete shoulder twist and full extension into the stance.

She just jumps from pose to pose. I have a hard time getting this right, and I keep getting it backwards!

From the static position you can now link the left and right poses. A 2 beat kick would be one forward step from the right pose (right arm up) into the left pose (left arm up) and so on.
A 6 beat kick would be three steps from the right pose (right arm up) into the left pose, then 3 steps back to the right, and so on. This the waltz or dance step of swimming we've talked about before on ST.

It is a way to express the sequencing of freestyle movement for beginners in dryland terms. To focus on what is important both from a position standpoint and linking the poses into stroke timing.

More pix are on the tweet link below. I am curious if swimmers find this understandable/ and can you take this from land into the water?

<https://twitter.com/...s/697265306423525376

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Feb 10, 16 21:30
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a swimmer. I both don't understand the pose and why you consider it useful. When you swim, your feet aren't that far apart. I think swimming needs to be learned in a pool (fancy that)!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 -- what's the point of the "pose"?

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all for anything that will open up my hip flexors and incorporate any kind of streamline stretch. I would/could never get my leg into that orientation in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
problem is that isn't really a streamline stretch, or anything else for that matter. if you want to get at your hip flexors and stretch them out, try incorporating a general yoga program. the race club has a couple of videos on yoga for swimmers. I've done them (sporadically) and I like it so far.

OP has a bit of a history of posting weird ideas. I just ignore now.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
problem is that isn't really a streamline stretch, or anything else for that matter. if you want to get at your hip flexors and stretch them out, try incorporating a general yoga program. the race club has a couple of videos on yoga for swimmers. I've done them (sporadically) and I like it so far.

I year you I was just trying to see it his way or unnerstan the gist. I do plenty of hip flexor work it's the bane of my life with all the travel. Those RC stretches are great I use them and also another resource from my dry land coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I year you I was just trying to see it his way or unnerstan the gist. I do plenty of hip flexor work it's the bane of my life with all the travel. Those RC stretches are great I use them and also another resource from my dry land coach.

Not sure anyone really understands the gist, other than him.

I found a recipe for homemade kettle corn. This could be dangerous.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Not sure anyone really understands the gist, other than him.

If you can beat Cretors you are a billionaire in waiting. We are averaging 2 bags a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Please share!

No, never mind, that stuff is like crack - I can't stop eating it once I start! I should use it as my recovery food after I swim - may get me swimming more . . .
Last edited by: themadcyclist: Feb 10, 16 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just ignore now.

Keep and open mind and try things out for yourself. Dismissing things because they don't fit into your way of working is closed minded.

http://mobile.twitter.com/BLambTriathlete
Athlete of the Week
Meet the Team
Headwear
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't keep your mind so open that your brains fall out.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Don't keep your mind so open that your brains fall out.

I knew you would not like my comment JasoninHalifax. But as one of ST's swimming aficionados I think you should at least try it for a week before telling everyone its a pile of stinking poo, and not to take any notice of the OP ever again? I will try it tonight and report back tomorrow.

http://mobile.twitter.com/BLambTriathlete
Athlete of the Week
Meet the Team
Headwear
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP is the guy who claimed that you could get better at something without doing it. I know that I'm in ad-hominem territory, but given that I've never seen one good idea come out of his posts, I'm not really inclined to just try things willy-nilly.

If there is sound logic behind the idea, then I'll consider it. This thing doesn't even have that...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DunnRight wrote:

Thanks for the comments, I'll stick to technical and well....

Freestyle is about specific coordination of all four limbs along each side of the Sagittal plane. This is the reason freestyle can be more complex and difficult to co-ordinate than breastroke or even fly. So this pose is a dryland ROM (range of motion), coordination & timing aid.

As a musician, when learning a new riff or complicated beat you start slowly with a metronome. It's a mental and physical exercise of pattern imprinting then adding speed. IMO the same approach can be done for the FS stroke. The process is to: slow the movement patterns down; work on dryland; build coordination and ROM at the same time to solve the full body movement of FS. The pose is the first step, then if you read the post above, goes beyond the static, to linking the poses together duplicating the FS movement pattern.

At the track this morning after 5K of intervals, instead of doing lunges, I linked together the swimmers poses for dryland FS swim on a slow waltz beat. ie 1, 2 ,3, 1, 2, 3. I was able to do this after some practice.

Welcome to swim class at Mel's Rockpile :) PS: I am using my gloves from hand to hand, so I don't screw it up.

Look - go to any pool and analyze strokes. 95% of the swimmers in a public pool can't swim FS correctly. The swimmers that are club or former are easy to spot, because they have the imprinting and co-ordination done, usually at a young age through hours and hours of practice.

Last edited by: SharkFM: Feb 10, 16 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The OP is the guy who claimed that you could get better at something without doing it. I know that I'm in ad-hominem territory, but given that I've never seen one good idea come out of his posts, I'm not really inclined to just try things willy-nilly.

If there is sound logic behind the idea, then I'll consider it. This thing doesn't even have that...

ahh ( censored ) and get your dancin' boots on:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a recipe for homemade kettle corn. This could be dangerous.

We actually bought a machine that makes kettle corn. It's not like those huge contraptions you see at the fair. It's an electronic, table-top version. You add oil, salt, sugar, and corn. Tasty.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
DunnRight wrote:

Thanks for the comments, I'll stick to technical and well....

Freestyle is about specific coordination of all four limbs along each side of the Sagittal plane. This is the reason freestyle can be more complex and difficult to co-ordinate than breastroke or even fly. So this pose is a dryland ROM (range of motion), coordination & timing aid.

As a musician, when learning a new riff or complicated beat you start slowly with a metronome. It's a mental and physical exercise of pattern imprinting then adding speed. IMO the same approach can be done for the FS stroke. The process is to: slow the movement patterns down; work on dryland; build coordination and ROM at the same time to solve the full body movement of FS. The pose is the first step, then if you read the post above, goes beyond the static, to linking the poses together duplicating the FS movement pattern.

At the track this morning after 5K of intervals, instead of doing lunges, I linked together the swimmers poses for dryland FS swim on a slow waltz beat. ie 1, 2 ,3, 1, 2, 3. I was able to do this after some practice.

Welcome to swim class at Mel's Rockpile :) PS: I am using my gloves from hand to hand, so I don't screw it up.

Look - go to any pool and analyze strokes. 95% of the swimmers in a public pool can't swim FS correctly. The swimmers that are club or former are easy to spot, because they have the imprinting and co-ordination done, usually at a young age through hours and hours of practice.

This thread has all kinds of amazeballs potential now. All we need is for h2ofun to show up and we got us a party!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And we already brought out the kettle corn!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm ready!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I measure this troll as a 6.5/10.

I would have given it a 7 if she had been topless.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troll? A bit ridiculous but let's keep it on the technical which what I fully intended here (& not to yack about childish popcorn fodder).

Anyway, look how many times on here do we have posters frustrated with swimming? A ton. So any thinking or ideas around the subject I think is a good thing. Especially if you can incorporate training outside of the pool.

I spent a lot of hours working on timing in the water with a snorkel, have got it pretty good and still find the dryland sequence difficult to execute.

Give it a try.

Last edited by: SharkFM: Feb 10, 16 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your score can only go down if you argue with the judges
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmer's Pose (dryland practice) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn this popcorn is good...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Damn this popcorn is good...

Well if you are eating popcorn, then better watch some more movies.

This is an odd drill, but taken in the context of the swimmer's pose above, I understand it better now. It basically forces the swimmer to maintain "the pose" at least on one side. - arm extended, hip flexor tension/leg back position at all costs:

I might give it a rip tomorrow, if I don't cramp up on the back leg.

Last edited by: SharkFM: Feb 10, 16 20:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm. That's not what that drill does....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next