Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Improvement
Quote | Reply
Suggestions for swim improvement in the off season? I will be done IMMT in a few weeks and would like to really focus on the swim for 6 months. I live in central PA and have access to a YMCA. Programs? Camps? Books? Thanks in advance!

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Improvement [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
Suggestions for swim improvement in the off season? I will be done IMMT in a few weeks and would like to really focus on the swim for 6 months. I live in central PA and have access to a YMCA. Programs? Camps? Books? Thanks in advance!

Hard to tell without knowing your current times, and maybe a typical week or two of workouts with paces. Most likely the answer will be "swim more and make it hurt", but...

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Jul 29, 14 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Improvement [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry John, posting too quickly. I swim IM typically in 1:05-1:08. Swim 3-4 times per week, twice with a masters group. 230,000 yards this year so far.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred D: Jul 29, 14 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
Sorry John, posting too quickly. I swim IM typically in 1:05-1:08. Swim 3-4 times per week, twice with a masters group. 230,000 yards this year so far.

So, you're doing somewhere around mid 8000 yards a week, and swimming a 1:45 race pace. Means you probably don't have any major stroke flaws, but there might be some speed to be picked up there.

I would spring for a video analysis by a good coach and get some items to work on, and then if you are going to be doing a 6 month focus, I would build to where you are working on a steady diet of between 3-5000m a day, 5-6 days a week. Lots of intervals and threshold work, with any form work resulting from the video analysis thrown in. (You can also post video here and people will pick it apart. Front, back, side, above and below water).

Look in the fishtwitch threads, or search on tigerchik, halfspeed, jasoninhalifax for some of their workouts.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI Fred,

You can watch our swimming technique videos. Maybe this one is a good one to start with: http://www.theraceclub.com/...o-pull-in-freestyle/

And you can send us a video of you swimming for analysis from Gary Hall Sr.: http://www.theraceclub.com/swim-video-reviews/
Quote Reply