Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suspect allergies for poor performance
Quote | Reply
Over the past 2 weeks I've noticed a big drop in my fitness. My resting HR is 10bpm higher than normal and I'm suffering on the club rides. After a 7 mile run, I feel like I've done a marathon. I'm having labored breathing, tight chest and feel like I can't take a deep breath, and my legs are burning and feel heavy on long climbs. I've also noticed a constant runny nose regardless of effort.

I knew something was wrong last weekend when I was dangling off the back of the 40+ rider club ride on the flats and got dropped by most everyone on the first hill. I'm usually at the front of the pack and climb in the top 10 on the hills. My riding buddies were even asking me w/ a confused look as to my I got dropped so quickly. Note that I've won 1 road crit this year and place 2nd in another, w/ a number of top 10 finishes, so I've had good fitness and shouldn't be getting dropped as badly as I am.

I don't think or feel like I'm over trained as I'm careful w/ my training log and record my efforts and rest periods. I'm still training and haven't lost any motivation.

I've been taking the 24hr Claritin and Benadryl (before bed) for the past few days and they don't seem to be helping.

My tri season is coming up and I need to really kick it up in the swimming and running, so I need to start feeling better ASAP
:-)

Curious if any of you have experienced this and if you have any advice? I'm considering seeing a doc this week to see if some type of inhaler would help.

Thanks,
Gabriel
Last edited by: Picklepork: May 20, 07 23:52
Quote Reply
Re: Suspect allergies for poor performnace [Picklepork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Curious if any of you have experienced this and if you have any advise?"
-------------------------

I agree that allergies can affect performance as you described. I have been having a similar experience on and off for the past 3 month. IMHO you need to be very careful that you don't push yourself too hard when your body isn't able to do what it normally can. You can push yourself into Adrenal Exhaustion of Adrenal fatigue (see the Adrenal thread). Over Training is not just a result of the stress too much training but the cumulative stress of everything going on with you including illness, allergies, mental/emotional stress, etc.

BTW Claritin does not help me at all either. I tried Allegra a while back, and that seemed to help more. My insurance plan won't pay for it anymore, so I may have to open my wallet and try it again. There are also prescription corticosteroid nasal sprays that may help, so I would definitely recommend seeing an Allergist to see if you can get this under control.

Good luck.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: Suspect allergies for poor performance [Picklepork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to see a doctor regarding this... Claritin and Benadryl are both antihistamines which may work for some, but it does not really help you with the windpipes! You may need either an inhailer or other respirator medication.

Just try it before a race situation though as most medications have side effects and in a race is not a good time to find out what they are...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful about rec's for allergy meds as they work differently in different people. Also, some meds need to be taken for a long time before they really start kicking in. I use Zyrtec and start taking it in April and will continue until about mid to late june to get through allergy season. You really do have to experiment with a bunch of different meds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I suggest a non med solution? Take a shower before bed at night and put an air filter in your bedroom. You go to bed pollen free and get a whole night of breathing clean air. I find it really helpful in the spring!

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Suspect allergies for poor performance [sps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another non-med solution... the old Nehti pot, or you can go to Walmart or another drug store and get a Neilmed sinus wash kit. I started doing this last year when I had continuous sinus infections (recommended by my ENT) and since then no sinus infections, and I've been able to stop taking allergy meds. Pollen here in central Virginia is serously bad.
I also wipe the cat and dogs down daily with wet ones I find that they are incredible pollen magnets.

At first blush, you will think this is either gross or you'll drown. Trust me, it works. Just dont do it right before going to bed as your sinus can hold a bit of water....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have noticed an overall drop in fitness while taking almost any kind of Claritin type medicine.

You might try quercitin. My husband swears by it for allergies. - http://www.immunesupport.com/message/quer.htm. Granted this is not a medical journal article, it is simply the first thing that came up in google.

The first time I started taking it I noticed an immediate drop in allergy symptoms and I wasn't coughing all night. I take 2 tablets morning and night when the pollen count is high or I notice a lot of coughing. It is one of the few "supplements" - maybe the only - I can actually attribute to improved symptoms.
Quote Reply