Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Survival of the Mills
Quote | Reply
It is that time of year again boys and girls, the 4th annual SOTM race is scheduled for Sunday September 24th (2 weeks earlier this year)!
For anyone who may be on the fence about doing this event, you owe it to yourself to sign up and go for it. You will not regret it!
Anyway, you all can read more about the race below. Let's not let this race fade away, it is way to good.

http://survivalofthemills.com/

Calling out to all mid-Atlantic triathletes & duathletes, the 2nd annual Survival of the Mills is slated for October 11th at Wells Mill Park in NJ.
If you are looking for something a little different to finish up the season then you owe it to yourself to check out this race. A 7 stage tri (R/B/R/S/R/B/R) and a 5 stage du (R/B/R/B/R) with challenging and fun off-road trail runs and on-road bike legs is a great way to wind things up for the year.
The race benefits a very worthy cause (David's Dream & Believe Cancer Foundation) and is put on by Ross Reynolds, a terrific RD and a super nice guy who really puts the athletes first.
New this year, beer at the finish! What more could anyone want!
Check it out here http://tridentmultisport.wix.com/wellsmillstridu

ps - poster is not affiliated with this race in any way, just someone who did it last year, had a blast and would like to see this race succeed.

Bumping this thread as the 2016 edition of this race is less than 2 weeks away, October 9th. Super fun race with cash payouts to top 2 overall (M&F) and great beer at the finish. Come on out and race something different, you won't regret it!
Last edited by: ddixon: Aug 29, 17 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [ddixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually bumped the old thread on this a little ways down. Unfortunately, I won't be chasing you down on that final run; I am on call that weekend for work.

For anybody interested in my super secret tips on the race, look at the other thread here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5704289#5704289

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that you bumped the other thread after I posted. I guess I should have scrolled down a bit first, D'OH!
Anyway, bummer that you won't be able to make it this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that I'd want to risk trying to put my HUUB on in a hurry after sweating through a R/B/R, but that 5 phase du sounds awesome.

Shame I'm in the UK, if it was driveable for me then I'd be in to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting...might have to consider this. no way i'm putting on a wetsuit for a half-mile swim after a run, and i get cold really easily, but i guess i'd probably survive for ~10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I didn't wear a wetsuit last year. I lived. I posted in the other thread what I did for clothing; it was maybe mid to upper 50s air temp and water was 65ish that day.

Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah UK to NJ would be a bit of a haul but there is beer at the finish, might be worth the trip!
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"no way i'm putting on a wetsuit for a half-mile swim after a run"

So... what would folks think of putting the wetsuit on after the bike and running with it on to the water?

As it is, in standard format triathlons I put socks on before running, not before biking, because my feet are more dry after cycling, from all the air drying. So I wonder if it would be less of a struggle putting the suit on after biking.

The answer is I'll probably opt for the du. We'll see.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
"no way i'm putting on a wetsuit for a half-mile swim after a run"

So... what would folks think of putting the wetsuit on after the bike and running with it on to the water?

As it is, in standard format triathlons I put socks on before running, not before biking, because my feet are more dry after cycling, from all the air drying. So I wonder if it would be less of a struggle putting the suit on after biking.

The answer is I'll probably opt for the du. We'll see.

Do you seriously want to run 2 miles in a wetsuit?
Don't wear one at all. You'll be fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Do you seriously want to run 2 miles in a wetsuit?"

Well, the thought crossed my mind. But I'd probably only run to the water that way, and from the water after taking it off.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of things: 1st, I would suggest putting the wetsuit on after the bike wouldn't be much (if any) easier than after the run. You'll still be sweating pretty good if you've ridden hard.
2nd, no way would I want to run 2+ miles thru the woods, up and down those trails wearing a wetsuit.
As Ian said, just go without, you'll be fine. Or do the du.
Either way, you'll have a blast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's in the other thread, but Jason and Ken had been running a little quicker than me, but I rode faster. The three of us got to the lake pretty much together. I never saw either of them again until the finish line.
Run 1: arm warmers, thin gloves
Bike 1: arm warmers, thin gloves, toe covers on shoes
run 2: arm warmers, bulkier gloves that are easier to put on quickly. Carry cap and goggles, put them on in last 200m. Peel off arm warmers and gloves at that time too
Swim: man up
Run 3: slide arm warmers back on if you can, put the bulkier, easier gloves on. Your hands will be cold and your legs will feel like crap. Tuck cap and goggles into shoulder strap
bike 2: ditch the gloves if your hands can tolerate it
Run 4: whatever you want

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha! that's good stuff.

MAN, i regretted skipping the wetsuit for the swim. i had to walk 20 yards into the water and put my head down three times before i could actually swim. the first two took my breath away. that said, by the middle of the straight away i felt fine and i finished comfortably. i'd skip it again under the same conditions.

for run three, i didn't have gloves so i can tell you the run was the perfect length. i regained feeling in my fingers just as i entered transition. if it was a half mile less, i doubt i would have been able to snap my helmet.

i can't play this year. have fun everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't remember the swim being a whole lot different from any other double super sprints, backwards races, etc that I've done where I went from running to swimming. It also didn't feel totally different from surfing sans wetsuit in mid-60s water, which I've done.
It certainly wasn't the most comfortable swim of my life, but it could have been worse. People do the English Channel, which is way longer and colder.
I will say that like any non-traditional format, I felt like absolute crap swimming, like I was just kind of slapping the water. Worked out though.

Last edited by: iank: Sep 24, 15 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping for those with cancelled race plans for Waterman's, IMMD, Treasure Island, Waterman's, etc. that want to do something with their fitness.
You might not be perfectly primed for a race like Survival of the Mills, but it's a LOT of fun. If you have off for Columbus Day, make it a fun long weekend on LBI, even!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been thinking about this swim for weeks now. No idea what im going to do, I usually always go with the wetsuit no matter how short the distance and this one being in Oct I was def thinking of wearing the suit but it looks like most on here arent wearing one?

Also i saw that someone posted they wore gloves on the run/bike? Anyone else going to do this?
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am absolutely of the belief to always wear a wetsuit if you can because it will be faster, on the order up to :05/100 depending on your form and the quality of the wetsuit. So maybe 200m is *normally* the break even point if you assume it takes an extra :08. However, for this race, you'll not only have to weigh that against how long it will take you to remove the wetsuit, but also to find your gear bag and put the wetsuit on. It was not at all pleasant swimming in 65ish degree water, but it was over soon enough.
As for bike and run gloves, that depends on air temp I would say; last year was pretty chilly, with most spectators in hat/gloves at the start. It'll be difficult to put tighter gloves on once your hands are wet from the swim which is why I suggested looser, bigger gloves to wear on the run back from the lake. Then you can ditch them before the second bike and final run.

Last edited by: iank: Oct 7, 15 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea, the logistics of where everything is set up is another thing im unsure about. It kind of sounds like your responsible for putting your stuff somewhere near the swim. I will bring it to the race and see what happens. Will def bring some running gloves, not the best for the bike but its something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They appear to be adding more volunteers at the swim to aid athletes with their wetsuits, presumably helping athletes put them on as well as stripping them. So if you have a sleeveless wetsuit that doesn't take too long to put on, even though it may add a bit of time (1 minute?) to your overall race time, it could be worth it. You might even save that time post-swim if it stops you from getting super-cold.
Making the call may depend on your size and body fat content. Bigger guys will clearly be more comfortable without a wetsuit than skinny chicks.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have a sleeveless and im a bigger guy aprox 200lbs but rather lean. It will be a game time decision, I plan on getting their early if it seems like the swim piece is well planned out with staff etc i might just wear it
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [all] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asuming its a normal temperature day, you can go without the wetsuit. based on what i saw last year,
- if you have sleeveless short-john by all means wear it
- if you have a full length sleeveless, then maybe
- a standard full-length long-sleeve ..... i don't think so.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Mills [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone familiar with the bike course ? it says rolling hills but the Garmin file looks pretty flat. Also is it an out and back? I would think so to get back to your running shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hillier than I expected in that part of NJ. I had to change gears a couple times. The bike is laid out in a bow tie shape. You turn out of the park, make U turn at one end, go back past the park, another U turn, come back and make a right back into the park.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell1122 wrote:
yea, the logistics of where everything is set up is another thing im unsure about. It kind of sounds like your responsible for putting your stuff somewhere near the swim. I will bring it to the race and see what happens. Will def bring some running gloves, not the best for the bike but its something

You will be provided a plastic bag in which you are to put anything you want at the swim start/finish. The bags will be numbered and placed at the run-in to the swim ("T3"). You grab your bag, do the swim, and put anything you want back into the bag.

I did the first run and bike and second run with my light gloves last year. I actually kept the gloves on while slipping on my T1 top to make it slide on more easily, then took them off before the swim (obviously). I only used my T1 top.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
It's hillier than I expected in that part of NJ. I had to change gears a couple times. The bike is laid out in a bow tie shape. You turn out of the park, make U turn at one end, go back past the park, another U turn, come back and make a right back into the park.

This. If you overcook it before or during the bike legs, those little rollers will kill you. Especially after four run legs before the second bike.

Don't ask me how I know that...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next