Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [elynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elynch wrote:
I eat pretty healthy but have been trying to cut out grains and dairy. I eat alot of oatmeal and skim milk and have been trying to substitute these with other, healthier options. I find that when I do this I get a little bit weaker and my workouts suffer. I feel like it could make these dietary changes easier if I wasn't doing all these hours of training.
Has anyone ever made changes like this and seen improvments in health and performance? I see people eat gu, drink soda and chocolate milk etc... I think that if drinking milk and eating oatmeal is the worst thing I put in my body I am doing ok. What does everyone think about my dilemma?

I'm not sure how you expect helpful feedback based on the little information you shared. But a few basic questions to start...are you getting adequate calories? How are your macronutrient ratios (digestible carb, fat, protein); for example, are you getting sufficient protein? Are you getting diverse micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.)? The key question isn't what the worst thing you put in your body is, it's whether you're adequately fueling your workouts and especially recovery from them.

Bro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey bro, I eat oats (technically groats that I roll myself) every morning, and my body doesn't mind the carbohydrates because they're balanced with adequate protein and fat. On the other hand I think skim milk is the devil's piss - the problems of milk with none of the taste or mouthfeel. Each to their own, I suppose.

Are you maintaining adequate calories?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skim milk? Seems you are afraid of fat. But fat is essential for survival, as it is used to create hormones like testosterone
Quote Reply
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Skim milk? Seems you are afraid of fat. But fat is essential for survival, as it is used to create hormones like testosterone

That's a really odd conclusion to make based on what he posted. I'm fairly sure he might eat other foods throughout the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is wrong with grains and dairy? Assuming you aren't allergic to either, than they should be part of a well balanced diet and almost all the recovery drinks are based on whey protein.

Just remember that training doesn't make you faster, it is the RECOVERY from training. If you slow down your recovery with inadequate nutrition than you can't train as hard the next session and ultimately you will be much slower as a result.
Quote Reply
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
What is wrong with grains and dairy? Assuming you aren't allergic to either, than they should be part of a well balanced diet and almost all the recovery drinks are based on whey protein.

Just remember that training doesn't make you faster, it is the RECOVERY from training. If you slow down your recovery with inadequate nutrition than you can't train as hard the next session and ultimately you will be much slower as a result.

They could be—the human body doesn't need cow puss to thrive. I do just fine without dairy in my diet.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Dec 15, 17 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lack of energy usually is a sign of insufficient calories... And/or insufficient carbohydrates. Personally, I find grains are a key part of my diet (as is protein, good days, and fruit / veg) and I include them (or other simple carbs) in all meals. This is especially true when training volume or intensity increases.

Bottom line - need to ensure you are getting enough calories (and the right ones) to perform at a good (great) level.

Milk / dairy - no oealrs of wisdom to share
Quote Reply
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:

That's a really odd conclusion to make based on what he posted. I'm fairly sure he might eat other foods throughout the day.

I think it's a fair inferral based on the tone of OP's statement around substituting skim milk for something healthier.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I think it's a fair inferral based on the tone of OP's statement around substituting skim milk for something healthier.

Based on the fact that he wants to eliminate dairy in general, I don't see how you can infer that at all. But that is also probably due to my remembering synthetic's very strange posts in the past as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

They could be—the human body doesn't need cow puss to thrive. I do just fine without dairy in my diet.

Cow puss? You been watching that propaganda film What the Health?
Quote Reply
Re: Super healthy diet Killin my gains bro [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
cloy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Unwilling to question the status quo? You been brainwashed by the marketing the dairy industry inundates consumers with?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
svennn wrote:
cloy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Unwilling to question the status quo? You been brainwashed by the marketing the dairy industry inundates consumers with?

Nope. I love questioning the status quo, but I also like science based evidence when deciding how to eat. Not a religious like dogma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

True. You don't need dairy, but it is a really inexpensive and easy way to consume protein during and immediately following exercise. You can do this with a vegetarian or vegan diet, but it is pretty darn difficult. Elliminating dairy would also mean having to give up on Nachos, cheese cake and cream in my coffee (and I mean cream, not that 1/2 and 1/2 crap).
Quote Reply