Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas
Quote | Reply
In a couple months I have this ascent race coming up, and want to have some fun slimming down my road frame to the bare minimum. I'm starting with a Kuota Kharma Framset. I'm thinking one chainring, no front derallieur, putting on just a basebar with no tape, one STI shifter { no holes for downtube shifters} no saddle bag.. Stuff like that. Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
remove the rear brake lever/caliper & cables.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCI minimum or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light as we can get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
single speed, front brake only.
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think i want some gears. Front brake only though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/forum/list.cfm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking one chainring, no front derallieur.

David Millar was thinking the same thing during the TDF prologue he was leading, until he hit a bumpy section and dropped the chain.

Front derailleurs are your friend on a bike with multiple cogs in the rear.

If you really want to save weight, go with a fixie setup. I'm actually serious. If this is a climb the whole way and your speed isn't insanely variable, this could work. Fixie and no rear brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the time you have to have two working brakes. You can figure out which gears you will be using and just use spacers instead of the useless gears. Cut off excess seat post.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]If you really want to save weight, go with a fixie setup. [/reply]

I highly recommend this. I find that climbing with [an appropriately chosen] fixed gear to be a lot easier than with a freewheel/gears. This will allow you to legally ditch the rear brake as well, as you will still have two brakes.

Take a big dump right before the start of the race, too.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the U.S. (USCF, ACA, etc.) you always need a front brake. You also need a rear brake unless you're riding a time trial (no mass starts) and have a fixed gear rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using a bike you already have, I would cut the post as short as possible, find an old set of road bars and cut off most of the bar below the brakes, find the lightest wheels (borrow, beg or steal) with light tubes and tires, single ring up front (get rid of the cables) and for the cassette I would get some spacers from your LBS, put 3 to 4 gears on and space them out in the middle. you will have a straight chainline and should not have many problems.

If you are going to buy things and want to go lightweight then I would suggest a pazzaz carbon seatpost (150g), a syntace stem (100g), Zero gravity brakes (170g), SLR saddle (135g), Easton bars (196g), Easton SLX forks (sub 300g) are just some things that you could do. Other than the 0G brakes, everything should be fairly inexpensive. My Giant has most of these and weighs in at 15.5lbs and this is an aluminum frame.
Last edited by: Bman: Apr 12, 06 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A high-colonic will go a long way towards lightening the total package as well. I've heard you can lose as much as 10 lbs...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're climbing... remove the seat and seatpost.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be more fun to say you kicked everyone's ass with a heavy bike! Drop the obvious stuff and go race!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Last edited by: Andy: Apr 13, 06 4:20
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [Jay Rideout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I climb seated so that would not feel that great. Plus most races I am sure would make you have a post. Carbon saddle 100g and a carbon post. Best option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to a lot of hill-climbs and have yet to see a "non standard" bike.

Be prepared to take a ribbing and I'll be praying that you place in the top 5.......

I'd just start drilling shit rather than trying to be fancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Junkie, check this bike out for ideas http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by: cochise: Apr 12, 06 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I was going to suggest. Go with bullhorns and a bar end shifter instead of STI.

Quote | Reply
didn't know if you were a standup sort of guy :)

and,

what was suggested later... bar end shifters and reversed conventional brake levers on the cow horns, rode that for about a year when I was commuting in traffic (Philadelphia) and works well.

Jay
Last edited by: Jay Rideout: Apr 13, 06 5:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a google search under Mt washington bike race here is New Hampshire, a lot of riders create pretty serious climb only bike, Road bike w/ MTB crank/cass. etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lighten the bike "old school" and just start drilling till the bike looks like swiss cheese.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ride this and you will be fine.

http://www.light-bikes.com/...keListing.asp?id=747
Quote Reply
Re: Super Lightweight Climbing Bike Ideas [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how a 7.84 pound would feel like to ride, I bet crazy responsive.

Still most people are better droping 5-10 pound body wieght before they start droping $k on a specific climbing bike.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next