Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sunset Sprint Tri
Quote | Reply
I am driving up race day and am not familiar with the area. If anyone could give me a description of the course, that would be great. Water temp, hills or flat bike, etc. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sunset Sprint Tri [trigeek2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am driving up race day and am not familiar with the area. If anyone could give me a description of the course, that would be great. Water temp, hills or flat bike, etc. Thanks!

I've done the race in one form or another four times, most recently last year. Swim is in a nice lake, out and back, with a small sand beach. I swam in a shallow lake in Central NJ this morning, and the water must've been around 84, so we'll see about wetsuits. Transition area is very long, and was confusing for me considering where my bike was racked and the path I was forced to take to get out. Bike starts off with a gentle uphill (not so gentle when your HR is pegged), but something to keep in mind if you keep your shoes clipped in. Bike is very flat, with a longish hill at around mile 9 or 10 or thereabouts (last year this was also into a headwind, which made life difficult). I think there may be a headwind going out this year (wind from the north). Again, coming into T2 is a slight downhill, so be prepared. Run is mostly shaded and about half off-road. Flat for the first mile, a gradual uphill and a short steeper bit (well, feels that way) through the woods in mile two, then some downhill (including a 10yd pitch onto a field!), then a flat final half mile or so.

Well organized race. Minor nits: the (AG) awards have been cheesy framed certificates, and the post-race food is "eh". Also, take note of the fact that it is a good half mile from registration to the transition area, and you can't drive it. I have a backpack that holds everything I need for the race, so I ride from registration to the start.

I'm in wave 4.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Sunset Sprint Tri [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ken,

How do you know your wave assignment already?

Chris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken,

How would you know how to describe the course, you're moving too fast to see it. ;)

I've done this twice, I pretty much agree with Ken, epecially the point about wetsuits. Two years ago, the water was close to 80. My unheated in ground pool was 86 this morning! I would expect no wetsuits, unless you don't care about placing. My only complaint is that last year, someone swiped my brand new goggles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Sunset Sprint Tri [ChrisG in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Ken,

How do you know your wave assignment already?

Chris.

You are in wave 2, you big youngster :-)

If you gave Lin-Mark your email address, you should have received this confirmation:

Dear Participant,

This letter serves as confirmation for the Bridgeton Exchange Club Sunset Sprint Triathlon/ Duathlon scheduled Saturday July 23, 2005. Please remember that the race starts at 8:00am sharp at Sunset Lake.

Please take a moment to view the start list at www.lin-mark.com/entsunset05.htm

Location of race is on West Avenue (Rt. 607) Bridgeton High School in Bridgeton. Sunset Lake is a ½ mile - walk from packet pickup. This area will be closed to all traffic and parking in order to assure athlete safety.

Just a reminder, there will be no same day registration. Parking and packet pickup will open at 6:00am and closes at 7:30am. Packets must be picked up on Saturday am, as there will be NO Friday packet pick-ups. For your convenience, there will be a shuttle bus available to transport spectators and athletes as needed.

Athletes who ride their bikes to our transportation area need to wear a helmet. This is a USAT safety regulation. Beacon Cycle will have a repair/tune – up team available in the transportation area if needed. Please be sure to check that your handlebars and plugs are in place (USAT regulation.)

**PLEASE NOTE: For insurance purposes - Everyone MUST bring USAT membership card. If you do not bring this card, even if you do have one, you WILL be charged $9.00 same day fee. This is a USAT regulation and there will be NO exceptions made, as this is an insurance policy!

Please join us at our awards ceremony immediately following the race. Parking is available at packet pick-up area.

Thank you for making The Bridgeton Exchange Club Triathlon/Duathlon a success. Please contact Bruce Willson at WilsonB@sjhs.com with any questions or concerns you may have.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wave 3 for me. I sure hope there is at least a 4 min gap between waves with the order being used and no elite ag wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the information about the race! It is very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh crap, I'm in the first wave. Great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aahhhhhh, got the email, just missed the link. Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chris.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunset Sprint Tri [here&anon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh crap, I'm in the first wave. Great.
What's wrong with that? Want to trade?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to. :-) I hate being in the first wave. You're in my husband's wave, but not his age group. Good luck tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masters women is the first wave so I get why a masters women might be worried about the under 40 guys swimming over them. It is a sprint race and sure to have a few first timers. Oh well, I would trade for the first wave in two seconds!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sunset Sprint Tri [trigeek2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at the waves more closely. Strange. 1st wave looks like it's women 35+, men 25 and under, and men 50 or 55+. Plus pros. I'm surprised there are several pros entered in this, for such a small, short race. Laurie Hug was the first place swimmer at Eagleman, I think, and she's entered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Plus pros. I'm surprised there are several pros entered in this, for such a small, short race.
$250 for first place, $150 second, $75 third. If this was a local 5k, three Kenyan "scrubs" would show up and run 14:05-14:10 to take the cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunset Sprint Tri [LarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilkes-Barre has a $10K pro purse. Can't wait to see who shows up for that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just looked at the waves more closely. Strange. 1st wave looks like it's women 35+, men 25 and under, and men 50 or 55+. Plus pros. I'm surprised there are several pros entered in this, for such a small, short race. Laurie Hug was the first place swimmer at Eagleman, I think, and she's entered.

Laurie Hug is from the area (at least NJ area), and has done this race many times, along with other local races. Todd Wiley, similarly, does a lot of local races.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Ken said. Done it 7 times, and never was allowed to wear a wetsuit. I think once they allowed them, but I must have missed that one. The bike course is pretty fast, big ring even on the hills (which is maybe a little exaggeration, "riser" or "false flat" is more like it), unless the wind is in your face, again like Ken said. The run is fast, despite a few minor ups and downs. You run up a little hill through the woods after the first mile the might surprise you. Heads up when leaving transition 1, like Ken said, make sure you aren't in too big a gear. I know a guy who fell over just outside of transition because he was in too big of a gear, and hadn't gotten his shoes on yet.

It wasn't me, I swear!

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply