Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for First Timer 70.3
Quote | Reply
Looking for suggestions on a first timer 70.3. I live in Pittsburgh, completed sprint and olympic tri's last year, now looking to step up to half IM. Swimming is my weak spot. 56 years old, maybe that's another weakness or may be not. At this point looks like late summer event will allow the time for training I'll need. What are your suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for First Timer 70.3 [Mike360guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Factors include how far you want to travel, time of year and style of course. In a vacuum I would suggest Augusta. The swim is wetsuit legal and downstream with a current. It won't give you an accurate assessment of your ability, but it's fun! The bike is easy and the run is flat, but it can be humid and steamy there that time of year. But consider too, that races like Augusta are super popular and you will likely have big crowds to deal with in your swim and the course will be pretty crowded. Augusta has around 2600+ per year.

I would tend to suggest a non-Ironman race for your first 70.3. Rev3 has a Pocono race in your neck of the woods. There are also several local and regional race series. An old favorite of mine is the North Carolina Tri Series. The White Lake Half in May is one of the best halves I've ever done. The swim is in a small lake with crystal clear water because of a white sand bottom. Then you have flat bike and running. It's a very approachable, chill race.

So think about these factors and when you narrow down your choices, do a search in the upper right of the Forum here. Chances are, there is a thread about the race(s) that you are considering on here. You can get an insider's perspective and learn from the experiences of others.

Cheers and have fun!
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maine looks racer friendly.

I'm doing it later this year so a friend doesn't have to do it by themselves, didn't really look too hard at it but rollers, net downhill 2nd half bike, relatively flat run, cool temps. Seems like it would be fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for First Timer 70.3 [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
........ I would suggest Augusta. The swim is wetsuit legal ..........

Augusta was not wetsuit legal in 2016

The White Lake Half in May ............

White Lake Spring Half is now in April (4/22/17)

ETA: There is the White Lake Fall Half option as well (September)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Feb 10, 17 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to travel, Pumpkin Man on the Maine/NH boarder is great. Swim is always wetsuit legal, the race is great, and the course is nice as well. I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for First Timer 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
I would suggest Augusta. The swim is wetsuit legal

japarker24 wrote:

True, but 2016 was a freak outlier. It was the same weekend that had record raging heat in the Chattanooga IM that led to a crapton of DNF. Augusta is typically wetsuit legal (many race report reviewers comment that they do not remember it ever not being wetsuit legal before).

I am planning on August in 2017, because it is kind of like a comic book swim-- I want to feel like Aquaman for the giggles. And in the rare case that it is not wetsuit legal for a 2nd time, it is still a crazy fast swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for First Timer 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
DougEFresh wrote:
I would suggest Augusta. The swim is wetsuit legal

japarker24 wrote:

True, but 2016 was a freak outlier. It was the same weekend that had record raging heat in the Chattanooga IM that led to a crapton of DNF. Augusta is typically wetsuit legal (many race report reviewers comment that they do not remember it ever not being wetsuit legal before).

I am planning on August in 2017, because it is kind of like a comic book swim-- I want to feel like Aquaman for the giggles. And in the rare case that it is not wetsuit legal for a 2nd time, it is still a crazy fast swim.

Steelhead 2016 was not wetsuit legal either. The first time in 15 years of the event. All I was trying to point out is that you can't make blanket statements like "it is a wetsuit swim".

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply