Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sufferfest - Blender or Nine Hammers?
Quote | Reply
Just fell for (bought) the marketing for the new Angels / Nine Hammers video combo, a couple of days ago. Yay for me... Loaded up Nine Hammers, and away we went - the day after doing Blender.

I like the idea of nine hammers, but I wonder if I'm getting more from Blender. By the time the Pain Shakes roll around in blender, I'm already pretty worked and they really add the "polish" to the workout. With Nine Hammers, since I know there's nine, I'm dialing it back just a tad - even a 3-minute VO2 workout is very hard to complete.

The starts in both though are all the same - "100% NOW!!!!!!!!!!!" - what does that really mean? 100% of what I can maintain for 60 seconds, or 40, or 20, or three minutes? Is it better to really attack these "flat out" then dial back as the leg burn / max heart rate kicks in, or hit them at a level where you know you'll be at the limit at the end of the interval?

Just curious...
Quote Reply
Re: Sufferfest - Blender or Nine Hammers? [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use it with trainerroad, a current FTP and a powermeter?
Quote Reply
Re: Sufferfest - Blender or Nine Hammers? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On second thoughts there probably isn't a TR workout for Nine Hammers yet...
Last edited by: Drdan: Dec 21, 14 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are not racing until spring, doing vo2 intervals doesn't seem to fit. The blender or ISLAGIATT are good options for winter fitness building
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
On second thoughts there probably isn't a TR workout for Nine Hammers yet...

It's already on TR :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sufferfest - Blender or Nine Hammers? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you expect? he's ender friggin wiggan

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Sufferfest - Blender or Nine Hammers? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 46; my reading tells me that keeping intensity up helps maintain fitness as I age. I've been racing long enough, I think, that base work doesn't do me much good. I generally work in continuous build / rest cycles about 4-6 weeks long. In addition - there's nothing longer than Olympic distance in my future, so the intensity of Nine Hammers gets fairly close to how I might ride a hilly bike leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
violator is a good option for some good intensity without being exhausting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not currently. I bought a used Schwinn gym spin bike a few years ago and I use that for most of my indoor work. I don't like sweating all over my regular bikes, and I haven't found any other wheel-mounted trainer that let's me get real climbing loads like the friction wheel on the spin bike does.

although you did cause me to go to trainerroad's website, and now it's calling me. I don't have a powermeter, but I do have a rear-wheel fluid trainer. If the "virtual power" stuff is at least repeatable (precise, not accurate) - then that would provide a way to get some real performance measurement without dropping an additional thousand on a power meter. Curse you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are consistent in how you set the bike up (PSI, pressure on the tire, etc) The virtual power on TR should be fairly consistent. I'm amazed at how much I enjoy indoor workouts now that I've combined TR with Sufferfest. Okay, enjoy might not be the right term, but you know what I mean.
Quote Reply