Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Substitute for Carbon Paste
Quote | Reply
Installing a new Aluminum seatpost into a carbon frame....what can I substitute (can buy at local Auto Store, etc;) for carbon paste?
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Carbon Paste [gammy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothpaste.
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Carbon Paste [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow...I had seen that somewhere before...guess it's for the "friction".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't you go to a bike shop or Amazon? Carbon paste cost me like 3-4 bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Carbon Paste [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soobrex1...that's not the issue....I will not be near a bike shop till Saturday and I must ride Tuesday...thanks for your input though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd for toothpaste. The cheaper the toothpaste the better it seems to work. I had an aluminum frame with a round carbon seatpost that used to slip like crazy and a schmear of toothpaste fixed it right up. I wouldn't use anything with peroxide in it, though.

Quote | Reply
Just wondering as I used to think carbon paste was expensive and hard to find. Anytime I can't get to an LBS I get next day shipping from Amazon. In a jam you can use a simple toothpaste such as Tom's but really it's whatever has the fewest ingredients. Like someone else mentioned, avoid peroxide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gammy wrote:
soobrex1...that's not the issue....I will not be near a bike shop till Saturday and I must ride Tuesday...thanks for your input though.
Nothing. Install with nothing and ride till you can get the carbon paste.

It's just four or five days of riding. Installing dry is not a problem.

That's assuming your bike doesn't have an aluminum insert in the seattube. In which case you can probably use grease.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Substitute for Carbon Paste [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danielg wrote:
Toothpaste.

Plus, when you end up removing the seatpost to change/travel, even months later, you'll be greeted with a fresh, minty smell.

However, it took quite a bit of effort to get the carbon seatpost from my Allez (aluminum tube) after using toothpaste and having it sit for a month or so.
Quote Reply