Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod
Quote | Reply
I'm considering using Zwift Run to mix up my workouts and am curious about the difference in these two products and well as pros/cons to each.

The Stryd Live is $99 and appears to have the same functionality as the Milestone Pod which is $24.95.

Any insight to either product would be greatly appreciated as well as your thoughts/experiences with Zwift running. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [toadbra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Milestone pod (newer version?) and tried a few times to run on Zwift using my iPad but it was unusable due to not being able to keep a solid connection. I spent far too much time swapping in new batteries, having the iPad right by the foot pod, testing in various locations, running different ways, even 'stepping' the shoe manually by hand. It was kind of funny to run faster and slower while my avatar would either be stopped or walking, and even more comical when I'd finally get it to start running and it'd keep on trucking after I had stopped. I gave up on it after about 5 runs because I spent far too much time trying to get the avatar started and it always stopping at some point and just standing there for the rest of the run.

I also tried using it as a foot pod with my Garmin 920xt but it's also unusable due to it reporting twice the cadence and missing steps compared to my Garmin foot pod. At least it's miles better (pun intended) than the internal cadence sensor in the 920xt which will jump around from 80, 90, 150, 180 to average some random number between 110-150.

FWIW, the iPad has been great with both of my Kickrs.

The Milestone App for running metrics is kind of cool but then there's that connection issue again and it not finding the foot pod.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the same issue with the Milestone and just given up. It will connect for a few minutes and then will cut out, and my avatar continues to run at the pace I was at. I'm considering buying a garmin footpod and only using zwift run when I am able to use an ANT+ connection with my laptop.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Milestone pod with Zwift on ATV 4K . No issues. Works every time. Calibrate in Zwift at the high end of your running paces and do nothing else.

I don't know about Stryd. Those who have them, seem to really like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the regular Stryd footpod ($199 version) and have been using it successfully with Zwift on my ipad for a couple of weeks now. I have had zero dropouts and the pace matches all of the treadmills I use very closely (without calibration). I've also really liked the added bonus of very accurate pace on my 920XT outside - I've set my watch to use the footpod for pace information instead of GPS. I honestly didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but the more accurate outdoor pace has really helped me meter my effort (both during intervals and long slow runs) more precisely and I feel has increased the productivity of my workouts. All in all I really like my Stryd.

As for the whole running power thing, that's an entirely different can of worms I don't even want to get in to...
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. No. issues with my Milestone after a few weeks. I don't calibrate it in the Zwift app either. Just in the Milestone app but haven't changed it much since running outside and calibrating it a few times. It is very accurate when compared to my treadmill, which is brand new. So I have bene very happy with it.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the apple watch 3 with my iphone at the gym. Pretty much the only thing its good for but it actually works as for distance and HR with Zwift quite well. If I were home I would use Ant+ footpod with my computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a Stryd with Zwift running quite happily.

Personally I'd skip the 'Live' & either go with a cheap footpod to play with zwift or full Stryd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By all reports the Milestone works best at the pace it is calibrated at. If you change pace it just doesn't know what's going on. I've experienced this first hand for a 5k on a treadmill with increasing pace. The Stryd variants are said to be very good with accuracy and changes in pace. If you're doing interval work, I'd go with Stryd. If you run at a set pace for the majority of the time, the Milestone would be an option - as long as it is calibrated to that set pace.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you want to use it for. If for only Zwift, the Milestone might work. But heard different reports on the Milestone about pace and connection issues.

I've used Garmin footpod with Zwift via ant+ and using a BTLE bridge and it worked very well after calibration. Always with .1 of a mile on my treadmill.

Also, just received the Stryd Live and used it for the first time yesterday. I had to calibrate it, even though they claim it doesn't need calibration. It was off by up to .5 mile without the calibration. Once I calibrated it, it worked very well.

Also, the nice thing about Stryd is the Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity. Milestone is only Bluetooth so keep that in mind. Not all Garmin watches are compatible with the Milestone.

I figured, for $100, I will get an established, well-known footpod that I can use with Zwift and outside and know I am getting good data rather than hoping to get good data.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
any ideas why you had to calibate as opposed to what Stryde claimed? ideally I'd wanna use it on different pairs of shoes, and using different calibration factors seem like some hassle.

Hi Fenton,

Stryd does not require calibration. We discovered that the speed the treadmill reports is not the true speed of the runner. Once this is understood, it can help improve run training. You can read more here: https://blog.stryd.com/...ow-treadmill-pace-2/

Here is a calibration procedure explaining how to verify the accuracy of Stryd: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Stryd#Treadmill_Problems

Quote:
can you use it for instant pace, distance on various paces as they claim? + cdoes it work straight away with a Forerunner 920 e.g. without any extra connect IQ data fields?

You can pair Stryd (and Stryd Live) to the Forerunner 920XT as a foot pod to get pace and distance.

Quote:
The Stryd Live is $99 and appears to have the same functionality as the Milestone Pod which is $24.95.

Here are a few reasons:
- Stryd Live is ANT+ and BLE. So, you can pair it to your iPad for Zwift and your Garmin when you run outside.
- Stryd Live requires no calibration. So, you can put it on any shoe, use it on any treadmill, run on any surface at any speed with any running form and you will get accurate pace and distance values.
- Stryd Live can be upgraded to Stryd for power, when you are ready.
- Stryd Live is rechargeable so you do not have to fiddle with coin cell batteries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AFAIK, Milestone is BTLE only and the 920xt is ANT+ only. So how can the connection between the two be anything but zero. Something not adding up here for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [StrydAngus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has the stride pod somehow changed to no longer need calibration compared to when it first came out? some articles I've read including some linked from the actual stryde page suggest it benefits from calibration? see here

blog.stryd.com/2017/02/11/stryd-is-most-accurate-device-tested-by-fellrnr/

if the plan is to go with no calibration , what are the best settings to use when paired with a garmin watch on a treadmill. auto calibration, always as speed source etc?

thanks for any feedback
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Aries33,

Thanks for your post.

Stryd has always been intended to be a calibration less technology. The fellrnr graph has been updated since: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

We recommend disabling auto calibration, setting the calibration factor to 100, and setting pace/distance to always.

Best,
Angus
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
AFAIK, Milestone is BTLE only and the 920xt is ANT+ only. So how can the connection between the two be anything but zero. Something not adding up here for me.

Interesting. I wonder what my watch was finding as a cadence sensor then? I did quite a few runs with it using something as a cadence sensor that would report 360+ spm and now a very low random cadence after I removed whatever sensor that was.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The internal accelerometer?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that the internal accelerometer shows as something 'paired' - it just get used in the absence of other sensors. I *think* that the hierarchy (for cadence on the 920xt) is running dynamics foot pod, running dynamics chest strap, ANT+ foot pod, internal accelerometer. OP, once in 'running', you can press the LLH button and RH 'up/down' buttons to find settings / sensors. Once you are there, you can see everything that you've ever paired (and have not removed) with your 920xt. I'm pretty confident that you will not find the Milestone, but it might be interesting to see what foot pods have been previously paired as a clue to what is happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was unable to replicate the ghost foot pod. It makes me wonder what was being picked up. There was something that the watch had previously added as a foot pod as I spent over a month halving cadence numbers. I have some runs where my max cadence was north of 400. After removing the sensor, the watch was now recording randomly low cadence numbers so I just ignore whatever cadence the internal watch sensor reports. For example, the average cadence for each of my last 6 runs have been 147, 106, 127, 149, 165, 186.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [StrydAngus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Angus, i recently received a new stride live and carefully followed the testing procedures described above and the stryd wasnt even close. the stryd registered 20m short consistently every lap of a 400m carefully measured track. is this considered normal or is it possible I got a faulty product? i have tried to problem solve and have triple checked all the procedures with the help of Robijn but nothing has been resolved. Is 5% a normal margin of error? i was really hoping to not have to calibrate every time i switch shoes. i was also hoping for an accurate device to use on various treadmills. is the stryd truly a device that needs no calibration? based on reviews a lot of people appear to be calibrating?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Live vs. Milestone Pod [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Aries33,

Thank you for your purchase of Stryd Live and your support!

Stryd does not require any calibration. Some people will calibrate Stryd in order to match the speed displayed on the treadmill. We do not recommend this practice because it will lead to false pace/distance value. You can read more about how Stryd improves indoor training here: https://blog.stryd.com/...ow-treadmill-pace-2/

Please email me at angus@stryd.com. I would be more than happy to schedule a video call to discuss testing methods and run data to get to a solution here.

Best,
Angus
Quote Reply