Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strongman Japan 2013
Quote | Reply
last weekend they ran the 29th edition of Strongman Japan.

From what I can work out they cancelled the swim.

Anton Blokhin won it.

matt Burton from Australia got 4th.

I have nothing else.

Anyone?

SWIM 3 km

BIKE 155 km

RUN 42.195 km

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my friends' Facebook who was there watching the race:

Anton won for the second year in a row. Hayato Kawahara was second, he won the race in 2011. She had Matt Burton in 6th. Beate Gortz won the womens race for the second year in a row, she was the top female amateur in Hawaii in 2011.

Swim was cancelled, they ran it as a duathlon - 6.5K swim, 155K bike, 42.2K run - tough day, really windy on the bike, not as hot as it's been in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatteLatte wrote:
From my friends' Facebook who was there watching the race:

Anton won for the second year in a row. Hayato Kawahara was second, he won the race in 2011. She had Matt Burton in 6th. Beate Gortz won the womens race for the second year in a row, she was the top female amateur in Hawaii in 2011.

Swim was cancelled, they ran it as a duathlon - 6.5K swim, 155K bike, 42.2K run - tough day, really windy on the bike, not as hot as it's been in the past.

I think you meant 6.5K run, but the format you suggested with your typo could get rid of a ton of WTC drafting and frankly the overall times would only be a touch slower for your average age grouper!
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

I know Matt and even he is unsure where he finished. Blew badly towards the end of the bike.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhyg7q9Jz4

No question about who won from the commentators....;-)

----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that the first run was in the sand. On the fence about going next year for the 30th anniversary.
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [tri808] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it that often when a tri is gettting shortened to a duathlon they add MORE running to the day. I can see why they open with a run, but it would be so much nicer if they slashed the same distance off the second run....for example open with 10K of running but slash 10K off the second run. I understand that for loop courses it is not that easy, but realistically it is not that hard either. Just make the second run an out and back if it was formerly a loop. I would not be too thrilled having to run 48.5K in a single day.
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that the majority of Japanese athletes are terrible swimmers and very good runners...I'm surprised they didn't make the first run LONGER!

After all, the only part of the Strongman race that is consistant with the IM distance is the final marathon. But then again, Strongman has been around a pretty long time before the IM distance was ever that popular.
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on the course, it can be hard to shorten a run. The first run is to spread the field out before the bike. And even more than a swim, you can't win the race on that run, but you can really lose it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [astroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astroman wrote:

Full results:
http://www.miyako-net.ne.jp/...load/TRYSEND29-2.pdf

Top 10 and Age Groups:
http://www.miyako-net.ne.jp/...wnload/seiseki29.pdf

It must have been a tough day. The completion rate was only 80.5%.

2014 edition of Strongman Japan was this past weekend. Ben Williams of the USA won. Huge congrats to Ben.

Why no mention of this race in the front page weekend box?
Quote Reply
Re: Strongman Japan 2013 [Pancks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strongman Japan is one the classic races of the sport, but gets virtually no coverage... anywhere!

Always wanted to go race it... but living in a northern climate makes it tough to train for the early date...
Quote Reply