Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strength training for older athletes
Quote | Reply
http://www.runnersworld.com/...efficiency-and-aging

This runs against the grain. Worth reading as it is, in part, contradictory to the established view that strength training is of little or no benefit to cyclists.

Why did only the older group benefit?
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 23, 14 0:19
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting read but I wouldn't say it runs against the grain at all. Most of the time when people say strength training isn't necessary it's being catered to a generally younger athlete. And as you/the quote below point out it is much more beneficial to those older athletes who have already lost some strength. Until let's say roughly ~35-40 most athletes will still be strong enough to not have to strength train but eventually if you don't compensate for the losses in muscle mass for some time past that age you're going to be at a disadvantage and that needs to be corrected by regaining the lost muscle mass as much as possible. Obviously though it would be best to do try and maintain it rather than letting it go for so long.

Quote:
The younger athletes were stronger and more efficient to begin with, and didn’t make any significant gains by the end of the program. The older athletes, on the other hand, improved their leg strength by 17.9 per cent and also improved their cycling efficiency by 16.3 per cent, enough to completely eliminate their efficiency deficit compared with the younger group.
That result lends support to the theory that declining efficiency is a result of changes in muscle properties, both from loss of muscle mass and from changes in the neuromuscular signals that travel from the brain to the muscle. Other studies have suggested that running efficiency may also be linked to muscle strength and power

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is always that confusing grey area when people say strength training. Do they mean targeted strength exercises that work on specific weak areas and muscle groups used in the sport (like in this example) or just pumping up your guns?

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. I turned 45 this past year and since the beginning of September have committed to doing two full body strength sessions per week. Having read this and other articles I am tempted to bump that up to 3 times per week until the spring and then back off to twice per week except for B or A race weeks. At my age what is more beneficial, an extra strength session or an easy run?
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I turned 45 this past year and since the beginning of September have committed to doing two full body strength sessions per week. Having read this and other articles I am tempted to bump that up to 3 times per week until the spring and then back off to twice per week except for B or A race weeks. At my age what is more beneficial, an extra strength session or an easy run?

I'm on the 5x per week program at 49 ! Pretty well been on the 3x per week program all year since I was 16.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I would be interested in how you schedule your strength training around your other training sessions, and how long your strength sessions are. I struggle with time availability, but strongly feel the need to incorporate more strength training into my fitness. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
There is always that confusing grey area when people say strength training. Do they mean targeted strength exercises that work on specific weak areas and muscle groups used in the sport (like in this example) or just pumping up your guns?

There's a difference?

I'm a big fan of strength training. I do heavy weights and total body. I'm 33, 6'3" 192lbs - just started running a couple of years ago. I run pretty low miles with LSD. My fastest mile so far is 5:12 and a 1:27 half. I really think my strength training base has allowed me to progress quickly. Even though most people on ST say is doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not surprising the the older group benefited so much more in this particular category that's being measured. It's much harder for aging adults to gain/maintain strength. But it's important to understand that this doesn't mean 20-30 year olds don't need to strength train. I have all my athletes strength train to some degree. More in the winter months. I really like 3x a week. I think it helps power and efficiency improvements across the board for any age. But the most important reason we do it is for, injury prevention and working on imbalances. Doesn't always have to be heavy weight either. Lots of improvement can be made with functional body weight exercises.

Owner of Dream Big Triathlon Coaching LLC
http://www.dreambigtriathloncoaching.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is against the grain. I think a lot studies show "strength training" to benefit older people in general, to help slow the decline in strength and muscle that tend to occur as we age. For younger endurance athletes "strength training" may not be the most efficient use of limited training time from the short term perspective of trying to be faster next season.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I said it goes against the grain I was referring to cycling.
Generally speaking when people talk about strength training in cycling the accepted expert view is that strength is of no importance because the forces are low. But this is using the word strength in the physiological correct way, as opposed to the general every day usage, i.e. 'A strong rider, a strong climber' not the correct usage.

In cycling many experts would advise you would do better to spend the time cycling rather than strength training. The argument is that big gear training or strength training is not as good as power training at naturally selected cadence for the power.

I myself have had a little snipe at people when they talk about strength training lifting weights etc as necessary for cycling. It is in that context I said it goes against the grain.

For swimming, I'm told, I know little about swimming, weight training is of great use, and running, yes weight training or strength training, weight lifting, has its place, but probably most cycling experts argue against strength training, lifting weight s etc.

I'm not saying all cycling coaches, or sports scientists or doctors who are cycling experts are anti weight lifting or strength training, but some very well known ones, some of whom sometimes post on this and other forums are of that opinion.

My own opinion for what it is worth.

1. If I had limited time in which to train for cycling, I would do it all on a bike.

2. If I did any other sport, running swimming, martial arts, any sport I would do weight training if I had the time.

3. I do weight training for general well being and to strengthen specific areas where I have suffered severe injuries. The weight training has relieved pain in a shoulder and knee and enabled both to perform a number of sports at a high level.
4. Older athletes or injured athletes can benefit form weight or strength training.

5. Weight training is good for general well being - there is also evidence it increases testosterone levels.

This article is referring to only one study. The fascinating thing is how the strength training benefited only the older athletes.

I have seen again and again people being told by cycling experts that weight training or strength training is a waste of time. I have never heard any of them qualifying their comments by saying that their advice is only applicable to younger athletes.

That is why I said the articles findings go against the grain.

I note none of the anti strength training cycling experts have bothered to comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add my own anecdata point. After my A race, I started lifting 3x per week on a 5x5 beginner type program. (I'm 45). Since starting, I've increased my ROM in my hips and no longer suffer from back pain at all (knock on wood). My own theory (as applied to me) is that I need to create and maintain a certain level of basic strength on top of which I can pile mileage. Now--when I say basic strength, I'm talking about being able to comfortably squat or deadlift one's body weight for several reps, and I'm about five weeks away from that. I've nonetheless noticed that running has become easier ( Hokas are a godsend), and that high-end power on the bike has improved (although that might be just from being "fresh"). I'm also at the really slow end of the stick, so -anything- might help.

I'm not at my goals yet. My thought is to build strength up to a certain level based on body weight, and then switch to a more aerobic form of resistance training for maintenance once I start preseason training and adding more cycling and running volume. I'll also say that the buzz from squats and deadlifts is not as good as a runner's high, but it's pretty good.

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [rumpole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rumpole wrote:
I will add my own anecdata point. After my A race, I started lifting 3x per week on a 5x5 beginner type program. (I'm 45). Since starting, I've increased my ROM in my hips and no longer suffer from back pain at all (knock on wood). My own theory (as applied to me) is that I need to create and maintain a certain level of basic strength on top of which I can pile mileage. Now--when I say basic strength, I'm talking about being able to comfortably squat or deadlift one's body weight for several reps, and I'm about five weeks away from that. I've nonetheless noticed that running has become easier ( Hokas are a godsend), and that high-end power on the bike has improved (although that might be just from being "fresh"). I'm also at the really slow end of the stick, so -anything- might help.

I'm not at my goals yet. My thought is to build strength up to a certain level based on body weight, and then switch to a more aerobic form of resistance training for maintenance once I start preseason training and adding more cycling and running volume. I'll also say that the buzz from squats and deadlifts is not as good as a runner's high, but it's pretty good.

The whole subject of weight training endurance training is a quagmire. Anyone who says he knows is a liar because every athlete is different.

I'm aware of people who have dramatically improved their performance in martial arts and sports which tend to ignore aerobic fitness by doing cardio vascular training. I have seen this, trained people and have seen the results. I know it works that way, what I can't prove is that it works the other way, that is, you take an endurance athlete and make him so weight training and get an improvement in performance.

What I can't prove either way is was it all down to more training. You take an athlete who trains every night, you make him do weight training every morning before work on top of what he normally does and hey presto the lad improves. Would he have improved as much or more if he just did more of what he was doing before? You can't prove one way or the other.

But sometimes you know, but you can't prove. This is the difference between coaching and science.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [Mr. Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some examples:

• jog to pool 10 min, lift circuit 20 min, swim hard 20 min, jog back 10 min, total door to door time with shower 70 minutes.
  • Run 40 min, 15 min dumbell circuit, total 55 min, plus shower door to door 65 min
  • Weekend bike 3 hours, 20 min transition run, 20 min upper body and core weights

In each case the tri workouts get carved down so that I can fit in the weight training in a very compact circuit that I get done in 15-20 minutes, so while I lose some hours in SBR, I get the resistance traniing in...add in getting as much sleep as possible and at 49, at least for now, I'm not having problems losing muscle mass or strength.

Here are training numbers for the year to date at 9.5 month mark.

Swim 87:11 282,400 m
Run 195:08 2,300.8 km
Bike 257:10 7,609.2 km
Weights 38:10
XC Ski 50:38 558.5 km
Total 628:17

Note that the weight work is not really taking that much away from SBR. Technically I am barely doing 1 hour per week (10-20 min per session), but that seems to be plenty as it is typically 10-20 min sessions of decently high resistance. What is interesting is that quite often the workout I feel the most later in the day is the 10-20 min of weights. A long day of weight work is barely 30 minutes, but I only do that when on the road and have zero access to swim and bike and can only run and do hotel room weights with dumbells. Anyway, this works out to around 14 hours per week of SBR and 1 hour per week of weights. I also save a lot of time wrt to bike training by getting a lot done bike commuting.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 23, 14 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
rumpole wrote:

The whole subject of weight training endurance training is a quagmire. Anyone who says he knows is a liar because every athlete is different.

I'm aware of people who have dramatically improved their performance in martial arts and sports which tend to ignore aerobic fitness by doing cardio vascular training. I have seen this, trained people and have seen the results. I know it works that way, what I can't prove is that it works the other way, that is, you take an endurance athlete and make him so weight training and get an improvement in performance.

What I can't prove either way is was it all down to more training. You take an athlete who trains every night, you make him do weight training every morning before work on top of what he normally does and hey presto the lad improves. Would he have improved as much or more if he just did more of what he was doing before? You can't prove one way or the other.

But sometimes you know, but you can't prove. This is the difference between coaching and science.

I completely agree. And sometimes the only way that you know is through trial and error. The way that I look at this is that I sit all day and that means short hip flexors, weak glutes, etc. Squats help fix that, as the weight coming down below parallel forces core engagement and forces those muscles to stretch. Yoga could easily perform the same function in conjunction with SBR training, but for me that requires scheduling a class as opposed to sneaking in when I can.

I think you do build up the same fitness through specificity--someone who can run a 3:30 IM marathon has plenty of strength relative to their weight. And I think that there is some minimum of strength and flexibility necessary to be able to pull that off successfully. What I'm wondering is if I can build a stronger foundation and then layer the speed and endurance on top of it for short course events. In any event, it's created the side benefit of making day to day life a lot easier, and it's fun. (That's why most of us do this, right?).

And finally, I see a lot of things saying that "weight training produces no gains in trained cyclists vs. a cycling-specific stimulus." It would be very helpful as a layperson to know what the definition of "untrained" is. Is there a uniform benchmark for "untrained?" Is it someone coming off the couch? Is it someone under 3 w/kg? 3.2?

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Older athletes need to do strength training.

It may not help directly but, when, say, your daughter asks you to help her move into a new apartment or your wife insists on rearranging the living room and you do not throw out your back or mess up your shoulder or knee because you have been doing some general strength training, it will have a dramatic effect on your performance in your chosen sport ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents, as a 47 year old age grouper and based upon my experience of comparing last years training (with no weight training regimen), to this years training (3-4 weight sessions per week). The weight training sessions are geared more towards stability training, with some free weights or machine weights. As my training block progressed closer to race day, and my training time became longer, I did have to cut some of the weight training out. I plan on building again in the off season, and trying to hold some sort of weight training through the next training block.

The biggest advantage I've seen is in how I feel overall, especially during my training blocks. Last year I suffered from constant nagging pain in my knees, legs, back, and shoulders. The pain wasn't extreme, or debilitating, but more of just a constant aching. This year, the pain is neglible. Without being able to put any quantifiable values on any of it, I would have to say the biggest change from last year to this year is the weight training. Stronger core? Stronger support muscles? My thoughts are that it all works together. I'm sold on the weight training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Any chance you could outline (or provide a link) to your lift circuit and dumbell circuit? At 50, I want to add strength training to my exercise program, but time is limited. A 20-30 minute program like yours would be ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In meetings now and need to travel later today. I'll write it up over the weekend. Also one more. I keep two 10 lbs dumbells in my office and I will often do "coordination" weights while on conf calls, all standing on one leg at a time, like pumping my arms like I am running and pumping the opposite leg to hip height, or 1/4 - 1/2 single leg squats, 1 leg dead lifts, curls, military press and upward row on one leg at a time while pumping the other leg like running. These are not that tough from an exertion angle, but are neurally tough from a coordination and balance angle. You will find that it also strengthens everything in the lower leg chain from the calf down to the feet, which is great for older runners. Obviously this is not taking any training time, but high value and sure beats sitting around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Looking forward to your write-up.
Great idea on the dumbells in the office for conference calls. I will definitely start that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
Generally speaking when people talk about strength training in cycling the accepted expert view is that strength is of no importance because the forces are low. But this is using the word strength in the physiological correct way, as opposed to the general every day usage, i.e. 'A strong rider, a strong climber' not the correct usage.

In cycling many experts would advise you would do better to spend the time cycling rather than strength training. The argument is that big gear training or strength training is not as good as power training at naturally selected cadence for the power.

I myself have had a little snipe at people when they talk about strength training lifting weights etc as necessary for cycling. It is in that context I said it goes against the grain.

.[/qtote]

A lot of nonsense going on above.

By the way, if you are an older athlete, for sure you need to be doing some good quality weight training along with flexilility exercises. Weight training for older athletes is a must because age and loss of muscle are related. Simply riding is not enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first you will find you will spend more time avoiding falling over than lasting 6-10 reps on each leg at a time. You may need to do them with zero weight and just body weight first. This is like base training for some of the other exercises with heavier dumbells in the circuit in the gym/at home. Your lower back and abs will also be sore after the first few rounds. When you get more advanced you get up on your toes on each rep like you are pushing off running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely - coming off marathon training I'm looking forward to mixing in some weight training after a long lay-off. I'll get a circuit done with my bench, dumbbells and basic resistance training 2x a week.

For anyone interested in an efficient, repeatable core workout (strength training?) I've had this one in my arsenal for years: http://www.menshealth.com/...edicine-ball-workout

I'm optimistic that these routines, yoga with my wife, the trainer and some running will keep it fresh through the winter.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Oct 24, 14 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Older athletes need to do strength training.

It may not help directly but, when, say, your daughter asks you to help her move into a new apartment or your wife insists on rearranging the living room and you do not throw out your back or mess up your shoulder or knee because you have been doing some general strength training, it will have a dramatic effect on your performance in your chosen sport ;-)

Do all you triathletes have armies of servants or something? I do crap like this on a weekly, if not daily basis, and none of it involves lifting weights. It's called "living."

I'm getting images of triathletes whose lives consist of training, working, eating, sleeping, and spending the rest of the day either in an ice bath or with their legs up wearing compression socks while watching Kona reruns. And doing HRT.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have to do weights for strength training.

Paddles in the pool, big gear biking, running up hills.

I put on upper body muscle every winter from nordic skiing too. Nothing like double poling for 4 hours...
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training for older athletes [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com

"Strength is irrelevant." Andrew Coggan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next