Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Straw Injury
Quote | Reply
Riding a century this week and pondering my equipment....

If all of a sudden I pitched forward on my bike I could jab out on eye on the straw of my aerobar hydration system which points right up at my face. Now that I have had that thought the straw seems to stare up at me in a menacing way. Has anyone out there sustained a straw related injury? Should I be worried about this?

Right now I use Profile Design Insulated aerodrink.
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Injury [Diebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IMCDA this year, hit a bump while going for a drink and the straw put a big bruise on my lip. Glad it wasn't my eye. The straw is back far enough where it wouldn't hit my eye.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunglasses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've dissected eyes before, they're pretty tough. Hard to even cut into with a scalpel. So it shouldn't come out hooked on to straw like some gruesome lollipop.

If the straw is hard plastic I'd be more concerned about hitting a bump while you are drinking and getting an unplanned tonsillectomy.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Injury [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
So it shouldn't come out hooked on to straw like some gruesome lollipop.
God, I love this forum.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Injury [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear sunglasses but I still think it could spear me under them. I might move on to a system where the straw folds down.

I am hoping that by actually brining this up on this forum it will never actually happen to me....some sort of reverse Murphy's thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not had an accident, but I've been sucking on the straw and hit a little road vibration and thought I was going to knock my frigging teeth out, more than a few times. So, now I put a camel back bite valve on the end. It's soft rubber so you can actually bite it and not worry about knocking your teeth loose. I don't like the "bite valve", I like the plain old open end on the straw, so I cut the hole on the valve so that it's a hole. Ie: permanently open. Don't have to bite it at all to get fluid.
This might help asuage any eyeball lollipop scenarious.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Injury [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that idea. I have some extra bite valves at home that I can try with it. That may be a winner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread makes me glad I just use a regular bottle. Not only is the straw sticking up in the wind, it's trying to maim you.
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Injury [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised they didn't get around to that in Final Destination.

Or did we just ruin Final Destination 6?
Quote Reply