Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I'm up there in the plus 40 age bracket. Partly why I started doing triathlons..the cross training helped improve fitness and didn't have to skip days if tired/not recovered and have not had injuries for years. I also added Pilates with an instructor 2 times a week this year. This helps with core strength, stretching and has helped me learn to move/run/bike in ways that takes a lot of stress off the lumbar area, and has also helped with IT band tightness...eliminated it and has many other benefits to run, bike and swim.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a fairly competitive runner turned triathlete due to injuries at age 41. I've found that cutting my running mileage has helped. Generally, I shoot for 30-40 miles of running per week which seems to be a good compromise from the 60+ mile weeks I grinded out for years. However, I still do one speed workout and one threshold/long run per week, so the quality of these lower miles do not suffer. I take off every Friday completely to rest up for the weekend workouts. Additionally, I tend to ice more or take ice baths, get a monthly massage, and use a foam roller almost daily. Perhaps if I stopped drinking coffee all morning and beer all night, I wouldn't have as many issues, but hell a man needs to live a little. Anyway, best of luck staying healthy and if you find a magic potion at GNC or somewhere please post it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consistency, long warm ups, good food & lots of rest, proper execution of technique/form, use of softer surfaces for running & even aqua jogging to supplement. Of course that isn't a guarantee--things just snap/crackle & pop at some point no matter how hard you try to keep it from happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [thierry64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
46 years old, 23 years of triathlon. and Chrones disease

i no longer do long distance, i went from 25 hours a week training to 10 hours, i don't wear a heart rate monitor, i don't have a power meter, i just go with the flow.

i don't follow the young guns, i don't follow a training program

i go "racing" with no expectation but finish, and usually surprise myself

Respect ! Great to see some guys out there with Crohn's competing. Must be VERY challenging and requires huge dedication.
I 've got Chronic Ulcerative Colitis ( left sided ) , which is theoretically the little brother of Crohn's and have gone through weeks where just getting out the door was like resuming running in an IM after stopping at the 35km drink station on the run. Anyway.............

43 years old.
9 years in the sport.
5 IM's and 12-15 HIM's. Numerous OD's.
3 Mary's and 8-10 halves.

A friend of mine who has been in the sport 20-25 years , Manko ( who posts here on occasion ) advised me of one discipline to regard religiously..... Stretching whenever possible.
Although , at the time , I never stretched much , I have since really incorporated stretching into my day. In the shower always , at traffic lights driving , watching tv , and anytime I find myself waiting for something or somebody.
Additionally , I would advise visiting a physiotherapist regularly if possible and also learn which movements work best to activate the areas that need work.

Extra points:
- nutrition....... refuelling correctly immediately post exercise. Vitamin and mineral supplementation.
- adequate sleep.........ensuring sufficient sleep and monitoring closely.
- training intelligently........I have tried to maximize my workouts by taking advantage of rested legs and better structuring of my program to enable more quality workouts and active recovery
- caution with running speed work / track work. Increased strides in running workouts and less track work.
- basic consistency...........as has been said here already , working on getting quality weeks completed year round. No off-seasons , no weight changes , lifestyle changes .
- listen to YOUR body....I am a firm believer that works for one may notwork for another. I listen to my body much more now than when I was below 40 ( Once I hit 40 I found I got injured much easier coincidentally ).
- Pay more attention to detail as to what works for you and what doesn't. This covers training , nutrition , pre-race nutrition ,pacing , etc. A big field but the more notes to reflect on , the better to reflect upon pre race.
- Effective Stength training................ I find incorporating a weight workout every week /fortnight with 2 or 3 exercise per large muscle group and 12-15 reps per exercise , keeps the strength without adding unwanted mass. I used toweight train 4-5 times weekly when I was younger , so come from a resistance training background. If I had the time I would like to incorporate 2x45 mins weekly of circuit training optimally.
-Act your age...try not to hammer the young guys "during" the race but try to beat them mentally and hopefully get to the finish line prior.

My 2 cents :)

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply

Prev Next