Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strange Denizens of the Bike Path
Quote | Reply
I've read the pool thread with great amusement and today while on a couple hour ride (all on a bike path) I started thinking about some other areas you see some pretty odd things. I'm going to include some running stuff since they hang out on the paths too.

The 'No idea what they are doing'- Normally riding a cruiser or Mtn bike, helmet on backwards or none at all, no water, seat bottomed out or so tall they can't reach the pedals, weaving all over the path and barely avoiding collisions.

Closely related is the 'Too much money for their own good'- Functionally the same as above, but with the most expensive/nicest gear possible. Carbon fiber everything, Di2, racing skin suit, the whole deal. Normally identified because they still can't ride in a straight line, still have tags on their clothing, or fall over at stops because they don't know how to unclip their feet yet.

'Who do you ride for?'- Difficult to identify by sight, as they go by so fast all you see is the logos on their back. Easily identified when they give you a polite 'on your left' pushing twice your wattage while you're in the middle of testing your 30 second FTP.

'Which gear am I in?'- Identified due to pushing at <120 or >50 rpm and 15mph at best. While sometimes this is someone working on drills, it's normally pretty easy to tell.

'Look at me!'- This is generally more of a gym thing, as on the bike path there is a real risk of actually sweating. This person is doing everything they can to make sure everyone knows how hard they're working, while also trying not to work any harder than they absolutely have to. I've seen this type of person everyday in the last few weeks, he stands in one of the parking lots with hand weights, headband, full track suit, and paces back and forth with the music in his car blaring. As soon as he sees somebody coming down the path he starts furiously shadow boxing or jogging in place (normally both).

Somewhat related is the 'Overachiever'- Goes out for a 10 mile ride with the same amount of gear most people would use for Kona. Difficult to tell if they're doing this to test a setup, or are just chronic overpackers.

'The Gandalf'- Can be a biker or a runner, or sometimes a group of them, who are absolutely determined that 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS'. Either rides or runs taking up as much room as possible, and if you do pass them, immediately work to sprint out ahead of you before dying and immediately getting passed again. Sometimes the really bad ones will actively work to block you from passing, turning the path into a small NASCAR circuit. Groups of walkers and runners can be really bad about this, going 4-5 abreast and completely ignoring those trying to pass.

'You're wearing THAT?'- Occasionally you see someone riding or running wearing clothes that just don't make any sense. The guy jogging in slacks, collared shirt, and tie. The bicyclist in full winter clothing, including gloves, and it's 85 degrees.
Last edited by: xgep: May 31, 15 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAT 6... The ones who draft off you for miles only to sprint ahead of you (while riding in z2). Then about 250m up you pass them again when they have to deal with their own wind. This usually happens 2-5 times before they are dropped for good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Silver Comet Trail in Atlanta is full of 'Gandalfs', so much so it should be called the Middle Earth Trail. PLUS, they usually all have earbuds in, looking at their phones, while talking to each other walking 4-5 abreast.

Haven't ridden there in a while because of it. Although I will say the farther you get out on the trail (it's just under 62 miles long), the less Gandalfs you see. Its just surviving them to get that for out. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see all sorts of weirdos out there. I was out for 90 miles yesterday I ran the full gamut of them. From the clueless people who have no idea how to ride a bike, let alone on a crowded trail, to the decked out roadies riding really slow. It is routine for people to grab a hold of my wheel when I pass them. Nothing makes me more stabby than some random dude trying to hold my wheel uninvited. Sorry, no, I am going to drop a bomb of a sprint to get rid of you. Don't suck wheel uninvited, it's rude.

My favorite encounter of the day was when I hit mile 88 I came to a place where two trails merge to one. I was coming up one trail and an obvious real cyclist came up the other, and he pulls in ahead of me. I was cruising at a 21mph average and he was going maybe 19. Seeing as I was at the end of my very long ride I was anxious to just be done and off my bike I maintained my speed and just passed him with an "on your left". I guess this offended him (roadies tend not to like being passed by tri guys I guess), or he had Gandalf syndrome, and he latched on. Now normally this is a situation where I shake the guy off but given the end of a long ride, I wasn't in the mood. He sucked wheel the whole 2 miles. Then, as I was approaching the parking lot, he swings out and tries to sprint around me. I am still cruising around 21mph and and easy 200 watts, but this guy was really working hard and hauling ass to get around me. OK *fine* go ahead and pass. Congrats you passed me as I entered the parking lot after a 90 mile ride! He even had the audacity to smirk as he passed me, as if that was some kind of epic feat to pass me there. I just laughed, and stopped at my car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've started doing my long runs on a waterfront trail near home just for something different.

Running during the day the most annoying are the mommy hordes. 3 or 4 women, all pushing strollers, all talking and checking phones. Won't yield for anyone, including cyclists. Not cause they're being rude (well, partly that) but mostly cause they're just so oblivious to everything around them. It reminds me of those cartoons where the character stumbles their way through a dangerous situation like a construction site without realizing what is going on. They're wrapped up in their own little world.

But on the other hand: yoga pants. So all is forgiven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will occasionally have an inline speed-skater catch a draft off me, usually around 20-24mph for a couple miles. Kind of fun...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
The Silver Comet Trail in Atlanta is full of 'Gandalfs', so much so it should be called the Middle Earth Trail. PLUS, they usually all have earbuds in, looking at their phones, while talking to each other walking 4-5 abreast.

Haven't ridden there in a while because of it. Although I will say the farther you get out on the trail (it's just under 62 miles long), the less Gandalfs you see. Its just surviving them to get that for out. ;)

I was wondering if the OP was talking about SCT to begin with. Couldnt agree more.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did an off road tri today, and the beast who passed me on the bike at mile 8 (Scott MTB with some space-age front suspension, ENVE wheels, holy f&*king s#!t was he fast) almost killed 11 asian women who were hiking up a rocky bit of single-track.

not sure what the girls in front were yelling back to their moms/aunts but it didn't sound like "give this guy the lane, he pays taxes and is entitled to ride wherever he wants and we are all safer for doing so as long as he is using hand signals."

(I ALMOST caught him in the pool--reverse tri, run/bike/swim).

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I saw a guy hit a park bench on the side of the bike path. I was running opposite direction so I was watching him on his bike. He was trying to take a selfie and clipped the bench. He hit it hard. I thought for sure his collar bone was broken. I asked if he was okay. All he said was "I deserved that". Lesson learned.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Yesterday I saw a guy hit a park bench on the side of the bike path. I was running opposite direction so I was watching him on his bike. He was trying to take a selfie and clipped the bench. He hit it hard. I thought for sure his collar bone was broken. I asked if he was okay. All he said was "I deserved that". Lesson learned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The velodromer: mid-career man in full pro cycling team apparel who's tearing up the multi-use path yelling at everyone to get out of his way. Seems upset that there are actually families using the trail at 1pm on a sunny Saturday afternoon who might be going slower than he is. I see this a lot on the Burke-Gilman in Seattle, which is a pretty urban trail. It's great for cycling out of the city, but jeez no need to yell at the families out with their kids, in the middle of the afternoon in a residential section of the trail. Know where you're riding!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The speed bump". Long story short, I got tired of some of our "locals" nodding out our passing out, splayed across our bike path. So I decided this was thelast time I had to stop to make sure the dude with the needle poking out of his arm was still alive. Now I just bunny hop them. Not very safe, or respectful, but fun as all hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about pretty much every single one of us who seems to find no problem with taking a training ride (solo or pack of riders) at race-pace on a narrow, multi-use path when it is most heavily populated with low/variable speed foot traffic?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: May 31, 15 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a few of those.

I've seen a few other odd things on my last long run. Saw a guy kicking on a long board *fast* (on a completely flat section of trail), he'd kick up to speed, slalom for a bit then start kicking again, passed me faster than most of the bikes on the trail. Second, saw some older ladies drafting each other, not unusual in itself except... they were going fairly slow and the gap was something I'd associate more with a cat 1-2 field vs old ladies on hybrids.

Finally, I saw a giant bowling pin coming down the trail towards me. After a few moments of confusion I realized that this wasn't some odd Lebowski dream. It was a guy on a recumbent with a shell completely enclosing it, I just saw part of his head poking out the top. Strangest thing I've seen on a bike path (or road) so far.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
How about pretty much every single one of us who seems find no problem taking a training ride (solo or pack of riders) at race-pace on a narrow, multi-use path when it is most heavily populated with low/variable speed foot traffic?

Nope. There is no such thing as a mirror on slowtwitch.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extremely tan dude in his 50s who rides no hands shirtless wearing aviators and gives you a death stare while passing going the opposite direction. I see him almost every weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magda from Something About Mary, her brother. Dude was tanned to the core, looked like beef jerky actually, and rode a beach cruiser wearing only a bright red or yellow speedo.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Post deleted by masa757 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads are for bike training and for bike transportation.
The bike path is for recreating.

The bike path is a good place to take the dog for a walk.
It is a good place to ride bikes with small kids.
It is a good place to run- so long as you do not mind dodging dogs and slow moving bikes.

Before one points out how silly some cyclists on the bike path look one might ask: what am I doing here?.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
Who the hell are you anyway?

Obviously somebody who doesn't take themselves as seriously as you. Lighten up Francis.

As for riding on the bike path, clearly suboptimal. But some cities (like around DC, where I am temporarily) there are no alternatives, riding in the road is tantamount to suicide.
Last edited by: xgep: May 31, 15 18:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xgep wrote:
But some cities (like around DC, where I am temporarily) there are no alternatives, riding in the road is tantamount to suicide.
That is a good point and the wife and I got in a nice ride on our cross bikes on the Mount Vernon Trail along the Potomoc when we there August before last but my 'observation' was based on riding in a city with lots of low traffic road alternatives.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 The Urban Camper: There is a gentleman in Austin who rides around the Town Lake hike and bike trail sporting nothing but a g-string.
Last edited by: soulfresca: May 31, 15 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I live the trails are old rail road beds that have been paved and the stretch for miles from small tow to small town. Sometimes you are in the middle of nowhere with corn fields all around.

One day a friend and I were out riding and see a figure in the distance as it approached you could tell it was a girl and she looked topless. When she passed it was a girl in her mid twenties, riding a beach cruiser with a string bikini top, not covering much at all. Middle of nowhere.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

coopdog wrote:
Where I live the trails are old rail road beds that have been paved and the stretch for miles from small tow to small town. Sometimes you are in the middle of nowhere with corn fields all around.

One day a friend and I were out riding and see a figure in the distance as it approached you could tell it was a girl and she looked topless. When she passed it was a girl in her mid twenties, riding a beach cruiser with a string bikini top, not covering much at all. Middle of nowhere.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[You rode 90 miles at 21 mph and it was cruising speed to you. You are really fast. Wish i had your speed. quote noofus]I see all sorts of weirdos out there. I was out for 90 miles yesterday I ran the full gamut of them. From the clueless people who have no idea how to ride a bike, let alone on a crowded trail, to the decked out roadies riding really slow. It is routine for people to grab a hold of my wheel when I pass them. Nothing makes me more stabby than some random dude trying to hold my wheel uninvited. Sorry, no, I am going to drop a bomb of a sprint to get rid of you. Don't suck wheel uninvited, it's rude.

My favorite encounter of the day was when I hit mile 88 I came to a place where two trails merge to one. I was coming up one trail and an obvious real cyclist came up the other, and he pulls in ahead of me. I was cruising at a 21mph average and he was going maybe 19. Seeing as I was at the end of my very long ride I was anxious to just be done and off my bike I maintained my speed and just passed him with an "on your left". I guess this offended him (roadies tend not to like being passed by tri guys I guess), or he had Gandalf syndrome, and he latched on. Now normally this is a situation where I shake the guy off but given the end of a long ride, I wasn't in the mood. He sucked wheel the whole 2 miles. Then, as I was approaching the parking lot, he swings out and tries to sprint around me. I am still cruising around 21mph and and easy 200 watts, but this guy was really working hard and hauling ass to get around me. OK *fine* go ahead and pass. Congrats you passed me as I entered the parking lot after a 90 mile ride! He even had the audacity to smirk as he passed me, as if that was some kind of epic feat to pass me there. I just laughed, and stopped at my car.[/quote]
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next