Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stop the Chafing
Quote | Reply
I am wondering how do you care for your nipples in a HIM/IM race?

In my training runs, once the mileage is about six miles and up if i don't have something between my nipples and clothing, they are going to chafe.

I typically use bandaids, they have been fantastic. However, I am not so sure they are going to be a solution on race day. Do the bandaids really stick with all the sweat, water, salt that is on your body? do you put them on in transition or do you grab them at an aid station once you are on the run and put them on, on the go?

Is there another/better option that I missing that isn't the expensive nipple covers?

My nipples thank you in advance for your help
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.newskinproducts.com/liquid-bandages/

Works great and a small amount lasts a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put a tub of vaseline in transition. The race may also have vaseline on wooden sticks throughout the course.

I find that some microfibers are harsher than others on the nips. It's worth experimenting with different materials.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very true for me with my running apparel, but less so with a good fitting tri top or suit. Are you planning on racing with a fitted (compression) top/suit, that usually does the trick to prevent the movement of top over skin.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a tri top I usually don't have a problem. In a marathon, with a singlet, I'll sometimes get some chafing. I'll just use some Body Glide on the nips. Seems to work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body glide doesn't seem to do it for me. Bandaids haven't stuck well. I use a piece of KT tape, and this seems to do well. Using a piece ~ 2-3 inches long, longer than you really need to cover the nipple, seems to stick better than a smaller, square piece.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put Fixomull on before the race and it will stay on and stop chaffing. Use it anywhere - nipples, toes, heel,etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
This is very true for me with my running apparel, but less so with a good fitting tri top or suit. Are you planning on racing with a fitted (compression) top/suit, that usually does the trick to prevent the movement of top over skin.

I will be wearing a fitted tri top. I do agree with youth I haven't had a problem with any of my tri tops but I haven't done anything past 6-8miles as I have only done Sprints and Oly's to this point.

I haven't done any long runs outside in it yet as I am in NW Wisconsin and we still are in the cold. However, I could wear it under my running jacket and see how that goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use body glide for many other things, I will see if this wont solve my problem and have one more added use for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [DougFelts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougFelts wrote:
I use a piece of KT tape, and this seems to do well. Using a piece ~ 2-3 inches long, longer than you really need to cover the nipple, seems to stick better than a smaller, square piece.

Oh didn't think of this. hopefully, one of the other solutions works but if not a tleast I have something that will stick on for the duration of the race.

Thank you for all the advice and tips. I will certainly be giving these all trail runs over the coming weeks to see which ones are pain free, so I can have a plan B if needed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:

In my training runs, once the mileage is about six miles and up if i don't have something between my nipples and clothing, they are going to chafe.

I typically use bandaids, they have been fantastic. However, I am not so sure they are going to be a solution on race day. Do the bandaids really stick with all the sweat, water, salt that is on your body? do you put them on in transition or do you grab them at an aid station once you are on the run and put them on, on the go?
I've put on bandages after injury that have stayed on easily for about 4 days, including 4+ showers and several hours of working out. I think that'll work for your event. The "trick" is to clean the surface of your skin with tincture of benzoine - this helps the bandage adhere very very well.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [DougFelts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, best answer. The nipple-specific products are too expensive. I just cut some circles out of the synthetic (not cotton) KT tape and they'll stick for days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.walmart.com/...mp;wl13=&veh=sem

These are perfect. They will not come off until you pull them off. I've used liquid bandage before and it was a very very bad experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Band aid worked for me on full course.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Moleskin is what you are looking for. I used to use it on blisters when backpacking.

http://40running40.blogspot.com/...pples-happiness.html
Last edited by: Lucky489: Mar 5, 17 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
HonestYP wrote:

I've put on bandages after injury that have stayed on easily for about 4 days, including 4+ showers and several hours of working out. I think that'll work for your event. The "trick" is to clean the surface of your skin with tincture of benzoine - this helps the bandage adhere very very well.

Thumbs up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never had an issue in a tri top. Sometimes a singlet will chafe, tech race shirts will chafe every time I go past 7 miles. I would definitely do a test run in your tri too, you most likely won't have an issue at all

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [Chief2Slo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chief2Slo wrote:
I have never had an issue in a tri top. Sometimes a singlet will chafe, tech race shirts will chafe every time I go past 7 miles. I would definitely do a test run in your tri too, you most likely won't have an issue at all

Thumbs up! I am going to do this soon, even if that means looking funny at the gym on a treadmill in my tri top. Gotta represent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strapping tape. A small piece is all that's required. It will stay on for days of exercise if required, no matter what you do or how far you go.

Just don't do too much shirtless running while wearing it. If you get a bit of sun then take the tape off, it then looks like you have square nipples.

And that just looks weird.................apparently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want to look funny? Give your new sleeved wetsuit a test 2200 yard swim in the Y's pool!

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 miles is my safe limit too.
I'm good at 6, but at 8 I'm in trouble...so I just don't take a chance.

For a 70.3, I can use two small Johnson and Johnson waterproof 'bandage tape'. You know....just the white tape stuff. About a 1/4" x 1/4".
They've never fallen off....and were painful to remove, pulling hair with them.
Two key points. Waterproof. And it's gotta be Johnson and Johnson. The generics and store brands....they don't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [Chief2Slo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chief2Slo wrote:
Want to look funny? Give your new sleeved wetsuit a test 2200 yard swim in the Y's pool!

HAHA! I have done that already.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Strapping tape. A small piece is all that's required. It will stay on for days of exercise if required, no matter what you do or how far you go.

Just don't do too much shirtless running while wearing it. If you get a bit of sun then take the tape off, it then looks like you have square nipples.

And that just looks weird.................apparently.

No, I wont be doing much worthless running. I could not bare to be seen with square nipples (enter sarcastic tone). As triathletes I feel we throw "looks weird" out the window a long time ago and have to be able to laugh at ourselves when things like that happen. Plus, lets be honest, its a good laugh when a buddy does something like that.

The people in my neighborhood and surrounding areas already think I am odd for "running in less than underwear" as one family put it, as I was in my tri suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop the Chafing [Lucky489] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for moleskin. I cut it into small squares. I have never had a problem with it falling off.
Quote Reply