Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stolen bike - IM Louisville ***Updated - BIKE FOUND***
Quote | Reply
***********************************************************************************
So to update this thread - a Slowtwitch lurker contacted me last week to let me know that he thought he found my bike for sale. This member recognized my bike from this post and made a profile so he could
send me a private message to let me know!

I contacted the person on Craig's List, who sent me pictures of MY BIKE! I forwarded all this information to the police, and waited. And waited. And waited. After a few days of me emailing the seller, he wanted
to go ahead with the deal. I finally got in touch with a Sergeant who told me to set up a meeting and he would arrange the undercover team.

Today, it all went down. The seller showed up with the wrong bike (one of the other stolen ones), was arrested, and confessed to stealing all 4 bikes. None had been sold yet and all 4 bikes were recovered.
At least one of the athletes is not happy to be getting his bike back, but I'm ecstatic! And for anyone who was wondering, RDW insurance company will not cover the cost of a bike stolen from them. They had
offered to purchase a new stock bike for each of us, but that wouldn't cover my power meter and race wheels, as well as all the extras.

Thanks so much, Slowtwitch, and a special thanks to KingAdams!

***********************************************************************************

Someone stole my bike last night from the Race Day Wheels tent. My husband dropped it off to have the wheels changed, and when he went back for it, they said someone already picked it up. It's a Cervelo P2 with Zipp wheels with blue decals. It has a Power2Max 165mm compact power meter on it.

Here is my bike with their wheels, the day before the race:

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/...ads/image_1.jpg.html][/url]

And here is a picture with my Zipp wheels, which were on when it was stolen:

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/...ads/image_2.jpg.html][/url]

I'm headed back to Canada, Ironman and the race director have become involved. Please let me know if anyone sees anything, or has any suggestions. Thanks!
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 20, 15 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [erincs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your loss, that sucks! It sure seems like they need to beef up their bike pick-up procedures. I would have thought at the minimal you would have some sort of pick-up receipt or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry. People suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They didn't check ID?!?! This sucks, but don't for a second let them off the hook. The bike was in their possession when it was stolen, therefore it's their responsibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No ID check required. The guy in front of my husband had his P2 stolen from there as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erincs wrote:
No ID check required. The guy in front of my husband had his P2 stolen from there as well.

You need to be sure that Race Day Wheels are on the hook for this.

That is just terrible practice when you deal with tens of thousands of dollars worth of bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrible. So sorry and I hope you get it back soon!

Question: What is the difference between your Zipp wheels and theirs?
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found out just prior to the race that my rear hub had some play in it, so I decided to rent wheels for the day. The cassette was already on my Zipps, so I just took them on my bike.

Turns out someone else with a red and white P2 also had his bike taken from Race Day Wheels last night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erincs wrote:
I found out just prior to the race that my rear hub had some play in it, so I decided to rent wheels for the day. The cassette was already on my Zipps, so I just took them on my bike.

Turns out someone else with a red and white P2 also had his bike taken from Race Day Wheels last night.

Ahh smart plan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is the same place that offered the $75 maintenance check (which is what I dropped my bike off for), then they just ask for your last name. My guess is if a thief hangs around the food dealer right next to them, then they could pick up several names to use later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
They didn't check ID?!?! This sucks, but don't for a second let them off the hook. The bike was in their possession when it was stolen, therefore it's their responsibility.

They did not return the bike to you? It was stolen from them, not you. They need to handle this and give you your bike back or pay for it. Do not accept this.

And they need to think about their procedures. What kind of business does not require you to show something when picking up a bike?

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that who you mentioned earlier, the guy before your husband? If not, that is 3 P2's stolen from there. That sucks.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry that this happened. I'm renting a set of Zipps from them for IMFL next month. I'm curious if they will beef up their security.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [abake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that this happens too often, why isn't there security or a better system like a tag number, ticket of some sort. His sport is so expensive but so quick for some idiot (s) to take everything away from us. There's got to be a better system for our equipments to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmmmm......sounds like something fishy going on here. I would definitely not take that and just go on my way. you dropped your bike off with them and they took responsibility for it and could not return it to you. Not to mention, this has happened to several people, this alone could warrant a investigation into the company, could they just tell people that their bikes were already picked up? This is something worth digging into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing it by name-only makes sense when Starbucks is selling $3 coffees. It doesn't make sense for $1000-$10000 bicycles.

This is definitely their liability, in the same way that if you took your car into an auto-repair place and they just handed it to someone they'd be liable.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 bikes were stolen last night. I know 2 were P2's and one was a new P2. I don't know what the 4th one was. A police report has been filed and they are investigating.

My bike is over $8000 value, with my power meter and my own Zipps that were on it. They better be covering replacement of it all.

For anyone else using RDW at a future race, be cautious if they don't use a ticket/ID system for pick up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erincs wrote:
4 bikes were stolen last night. I know 2 were P2's and one was a new P2. I don't know what the 4th one was. A police report has been filed and they are investigating.

My bike is over $8000 value, with my power meter and my own Zipps that were on it. They better be covering replacement of it all.

For anyone else using RDW at a future race, be cautious if they don't use a ticket/ID system for pick up.

This is the second time I've heard of stuff being stolen right from under the nose. I'll just cross them off my list of places I do business with. Not worth the risk.

Quote | Reply
I would bet a lot of money that RDW will have much stricter controls in place at the next race, because this is on them. They better have some good insurance in place or they will have lost the profits from many races. And if they have insurance, you can bet that their premiums will go up when it comes time for renewal.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
erincs wrote:

Funny, they said it's never happened before.

This is the second time I've heard of stuff being stolen right from under the nose. I'll just cross them off my list of places I do business with. Not worth the risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erincs wrote:
Someone stole my bike last night from the Race Day Wheels tent. My husband dropped it off to have the wheels changed, and when he went back for it, they said someone already picked it up. It's a Cervelo P2 with Zipp wheels with blue decals. It has a Power2Max 165mm compact power meter on it.

Here is my bike with their wheels, the day before the race:

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/...ads/image_1.jpg.html][/url]

And here is a picture with my Zipp wheels, which were on when it was stolen:

[URL=http://s24.photobucket.com/...ads/image_2.jpg.html][/url]

I'm headed back to Canada, Ironman and the race director have become involved. Please let me know if anyone sees anything, or has any suggestions. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about this. I was at IMLou and heard that several bikes got stolen from RDW. As mentioned, I would not let them off the hook.

Were you able to find a bike on such short notice and still race?
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was stolen after the race, when she took it back for them to take her rented wheels off. All of the bikes were stolen Sunday night after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated at top
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville ***Updated - BIKE FOUND*** [erincs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome. Kudos to the ST member.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen bike - IM Louisville ***Updated - BIKE FOUND*** [erincs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad you got it back. I would hate for my bike to get stolen even if the organization was going to replace it with a new one.

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply

Prev Next