Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steelhead vs. Ohio 70.3
Quote | Reply
Does anyone who has done both of these races care to compare Ohio to Steelhead in terms of course quality, etc.

I really like Steelhead and am likely going to do it again next year, but I'm originally from Central OH and the total trip cost would be significantly less if I did that race, although money is not a deal breaker one way or the other (staying with family opposed to hotel). If they're back to back weeks again, doing both really isn't an option from a travel standpoint. Does anyone care to offer up a comparison? A scan of the results indicated Steelhead may be more competitive overall, which is a definite plus.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead vs. Ohio 70.3 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done Ohio and not Steelhead, however I'm not interested in returning. The swim was not enjoyable. I personally dislike AG wave starts with lots of newbies. I had 8 or 10 different colored swim caps with me at the finish of the swim and I’m not a fast swimmer. The bike was fast, however those chip seal roads are not much fun in aero. My shoulders were sore after a while. Also most of the roads are very narrow which made things interesting passing lots of newbie cyclists. The run course was enjoyable and I liked the stadium finish. Close hotels are nearly non-existent and I had friends scattered all over the area. Also it was move in weekend at the University, so parking was a nightmare. I arrived before 5am and got one of the last legal spots as far as I could see. I also didn’t enjoy having to setup two different transition areas. If you are interested in just doing another race, this is fine. It’s well run and has lots of volunteers excited to see us there. I’m not returning mainly because I live 8 hours away and I have a lot better options closer.
Quote Reply