Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Steelhead 70.3 2016
Quote | Reply
A buddy and I are headed to St. Joe/Benton Harbor this weekend for some 70.3 fun.

Local logistics help would be great - restaurants, water temp/conditions.

Thanks and see y'all this weekend.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following this thread. I'll be doing the race flying in from North Carolina.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. The water is currently warm but has been known to drop 20 degrees pretty quickly. It would take a moderate east wind to do that. Sounds like low 80's and humid for Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam at JKP this morning. Water was almost dead calm. My faster OWS in a long time. Maybe 1" waves, 3-6" swells just south of the park. Water was perfect for a wetsuit. Maybe 65-70F. Warmer in the shallows near show, colder off the sand bar. Forecast is calling for thunderstorms Thur - Sat. AM. Typically that means the lake stays turned over, so expect mid 60's water temps. Cool but not freezing. Calling for North winds 4-10mph Sat. night, so I'd expect some chop through the morning. Should make the bike fast, as the winds will build through the morning and should be a stronger tailwind on the return leg than going out on M-63. Plus the light headwind should spread out traffic just a little by creating more diversity in speeds.

Race day temps look below average, might be a beautiful clear day, but the sunshine will make it warm. Humidity has been really low this week so far, hopefully it stays.

For logistics, plan to find parking about 1/2 - 1 mile from registration. Same on race day morning. Traffic backs up a bit on the roads coming in. They usually route south bound traffic down to Upton Drive, which helps create 2 directional flow. Better than most events. For packet pick-up, you can park closer sometimes if you buy a day pass. I have an annual, so I drive in. I suggest jsut waking up a little early and keeping it stress free. At most it's a 1ish mile walk to transition. Not too bad, typical of an event this size.

If you like to ride Friday or Sat. M-63 has very wide shoulders, smooth fast pavement (except the 1st 1/2 mile out) the first 12 miles north, then gets narrow. Moderate traffic on that road and it's going 55-60mph. about 9 miles north is the biggest hill on the course. Maybe 80-100ft elevation, maybe 8% grade. You barely hit 40mph going down it. Meh. The course is lightly rolling and very fast. I cant; remember if OWS is allowed Friday and Sat. I think so. It's a public park, even though it's a private rental by WTC those 3 days. The park is still open Friday to visitors with limited parking. It closes at 10PM. Waves are much higher in the afternoon and evening.

For restaurants, they're a pretty good selection. Its' a tourist town, a playground for Chicago and Indiana visitors. Lots of 2nd and 3rd vacation homes for those with plenty of disposable income... like triathletes. the event fits perfectly. There's a new brewery on the run course at the turn up the hill at Klock and Northshore, good food across the street there. The best breakfast/bruch is "The Mason Jar" cafe, but expect to wait on the weekend unless you go late in the morning. Farm to market and delicious! The food reminds me of Island Java Lava in Kona, but less focus on coffee. On your way out, stop by the Nye's fruit stand at the west side of the Niles Road exit and get your 5lb box of fresh local bluberries!!! Our family has been pounding 1 box almost once a week. I'm super anti-oxidized!!!

IN Benton harbor there's also good food at "The Inn" at harbor shores and the Harbor Shores Golf Course Club House. Next door Renaissance Athletic club I think allows free day pass to Steelhead athletes. All of the standard restaurant chains are at the Napier Ave. exit off I-94. Blah.

One of the best parts of the area is the St. Joseph downtown. There's 2 or 3 new restaurants and several expansion that last 2 years. A Silver Harbor Brewing Company has great reviews, and I hear good beer. Rybelles is the fancier steak & seafood house. You needs reservations on the weekend. Great food at "The Boulevard Inn" hotel, but you might need reservations. Best pizza is Silver Beach Pizza down blow on the bluff next to the Amtrack station and the Whirlpool Compass Fountain. There's a kids museum, a real early 1900's carousel original from the amusement park that was once there and of course Silver Beach in that area. Best ice cream, fudge, candy is Kilwinn's located on State Street. Parking is limited downtown, so you either get lucky or might have to walk a little. Bet burgers are at "The Buck". Best lunch and coffee is Cafe Tosi. Best Italian food is more towards Stevensville near Red Arrow highway at Tosi's. Heading into the wine region in Baroda 10 miles south of St Joe, there's Tabor Hill Winery and restaurant. I don't think they take reservations, but it's really busy on the weekends. There's a 1/2 down other wineries in the area. I'd suggest staying and extra day and do a winery tour on Monday if you can swing it. Probably the best winery region in the US outside of Napa. Very similar climate to Southern Germany I think, but more snow... with the lake effect that keep summer and winter more mild and more rain AND more sunshine both.

Any other questions let me know.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man - great information! We're coming over from Madison, WI. St. Joe/Benton Harbor area sounds pretty cool. I'm hoping for calm water on race day so as not to loose too much time to my training buddy. Overall forecast looks good as you describe it.

Cheers

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
I'll be there. The water is currently warm but has been known to drop 20 degrees pretty quickly. It would take a moderate east wind to do that. Sounds like low 80's and humid for Sunday.

It was warmer end of last week, but the wind this weekend turned it over. It can recover in 2-3 days of light wind or south/west winds. But will flip overnight at any time. At least now, the "flip" only means low to mid 60's. A few weeks ago, it was colder when it flipped.

I think dew points will be low 60's, but could be lower... so a little humid, but not terrible. With the cooler breeze off the lake, it should be a pretty nice day.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For St. Joe tourist info...

http://www.stjoetoday.com/

and a webcam at Silver beach looking slightly north towards the lighthouse. JKP is about 1.2 miles north of the lighthouse. Wave and wind conditions are pretty similar at both.

http://www.stjoelighthouse.com/

TrainingBible Coaching
Last edited by: motoguy128: Aug 9, 16 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While Motoguy has given you a complete guide to st. Joe's he missed out on one key post race stop. Some of the best Mexican food in the US can be found at La Perla at 1231 Pipestone rd. Great Tacos and authentic gorditas. Don't be alarmed that you have to walk through the grocery section to get to the restaurant in the back, or that you might be eating next to a pile of mangos or pineapples, the place is legit. I used to work at whirlpool and probably ate here at least once a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [Vermej1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vermej1 wrote:
While Motoguy has given you a complete guide to st. Joe's he missed out on one key post race stop. Some of the best Mexican food in the US can be found at La Perla at 1231 Pipestone rd. Great Tacos and authentic gorditas. Don't be alarmed that you have to walk through the grocery section to get to the restaurant in the back, or that you might be eating next to a pile of mangos or pineapples, the place is legit. I used to work at whirlpool and probably ate here at least once a week.

I haven't lived here long enough to find all the really good hole in the wall restaurants. I have seen that place driving past a bunch of times. Great tip! Should be authentic. There's a HUGE migrant workforce for all the fruit and produce growers in the area. Actually there been a shortage of workers this year with all the anti immigration BS going around. Not like there aren't plenty of unemployed folks that could do the work locally.

Speaking of that, I did forget, there's a farmers market on Sat. morning along the bluff in St. Joseph. Get a coffee at Tosi's or wait in line for breakfast too... then stroll along and get some baked goods or fresh fruit for after the race.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to Michigan Sea Grant Coast Watch. They use satellites to get surface temps. Works well if it's clear but not if it's cloudy. http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m5.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the weather buoy for in the water conditions near St. Joe (water temp, wave height, period, relative humidity, air temp, etc)
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45026

Also has a camera on the buoy if you push the right buttons

Another thing to check out (which is about 25 minutes away in South Haven) is the National Blueberry festival. It goes on all weekend (Thurs-Sunday). There is live music pretty much constantly, and also a 5k/10k Saturday if you want to warm up for the race Sunday!

Lots of outdoor bars and restaurants in town also to re-hydrate from the race with some good beer!

Link to the festival Website
http://www.blueberryfestival.com/
Last edited by: sergio2589: Aug 9, 16 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [sergio2589] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Buoy Center information is very cool. I was only familiar with the Coastwatch website that motoguy posted, which seems hit or miss on accuracy. But those water temperatures are pretty similar to what the Coastwatch website has been reporting for the past week or so. I fully expect to be wearing a wetsuit on Sunday, but after seeing water temperatures of 74 and 75 reported on these sites for the past few days, does any one recall this race (or Racine) ever being above the 76.1 threshold? (Paging Tom Z. ...)
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:
The Buoy Center information is very cool. I was only familiar with the Coastwatch website that motoguy posted, which seems hit or miss on accuracy. But those water temperatures are pretty similar to what the Coastwatch website has been reporting for the past week or so. I fully expect to be wearing a wetsuit on Sunday, but after seeing water temperatures of 74 and 75 reported on these sites for the past few days, does any one recall this race (or Racine) ever being above the 76.1 threshold? (Paging Tom Z. ...)

It has never been a non wet-suit swim. Chances of it ever being a non wet-suit swim are very slim.
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget, Saturday downtown will be a bit busy with car show going on: http://concoursswmi.com/

Mike, I mean motoguy, ;-) hit most of the good restaurants. I'd highly recommend North Shore Inn across from North Pier Brewery for burgers. It's very small inside and a dive but amazing. It's on the run course as you make your turn north up the big hill. Also I'd recommend Silver Harbor Brewery. Food is outstanding. 221 right on the main drag is good too and lots of seating. Silver Beach Pizza very good but long waits. Rooftop at Ryebelles for the view. Clementines is always a winner down along river. Papa Vinos south of town a bit for good Italian. BBQ in Benton Harbor-Larks or Piggin and Grinnin. Both great BBQ! The Lake House is really good with great views of Lake Michigan from the deck. Broad Street Bagel shop for coffee and bagels in the morning right downtown. A little secret I will share, download the app Nowait to your phone. You can get in line from your phone and just show up when your table is ready. Works for Silver Harbor, Silver Beach, and Ryebelles.

I've lived here my whole life. The lake is a funny thing. Conditions change on a moments notice. So be prepared for anything. I'm expecting there will be a 1' chop in the morning and temps will be cool. On the bike watch the road. The route has some obstacles. Some small holes, and unpaved areas on M-63 that I am sure will be marked with cones or paint. Also once off M-63 the route gets a bit bumpy with patched asphalt. Not my favorite. Once you turn back on to M-63 and head south it's smooth sailing and fast. One good sized hill to climb out 6 miles out from finish. "Ugh Hill" Nothing too exciting on the run. Some shaded areas with some sun exposed areas on the loop. Benson Hill is always a killer. You get to do that twice. But after the second time its all down hill towards the finish for the most part. Amazing finish line along the beach. One of the best places to race in my book with plenty for families to do. Any questions let me know as well! Enjoy the race and area!
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:

It will never, ever be NWS. They will just dip the thermometer a little deeper or go to the very edge of the swim course which is a good 400M out I think. Except for a very rare calm day, they have too many DNF's with the typical light chop if ti were NWS.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [Edgewater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Edgewater and Motoguy for all of the tips. Traveling from Denver to race and although I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, I haven't been to this part of the state since I was 8. Really looking forward to the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [Edgewater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides Benson hill, how hilly is the course? Are there flat sections to pick up some time or is it up and down?
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I remember from two years ago there are a few ups and downs in the whirlpool campus but other than that hill and the hill right out of transition it is pretty flat. And the hill isn't THAT bad. Just run it like you should and be smart with it. There are usually a lot of people out there to cheer you on which is nice. I am excited to race Sunday too. Looking like we will be getting some good weather too which is nice.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I really appreciate this!

Definitely looking forward to checking things out for my first trip up your way this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Steelhead. Thanks for all the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead 70.3 2016 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Besides Benson hill, how hilly is the course? Are there flat sections to pick up some time or is it up and down?

You go up Benson 2x, there is a hill at the 1 mile mark on "the stick" portion. It's actually harder as a downhill at mile 12 when your legs are fatigued.

The section as mentioned on campus has a couple small hills, one short steep downhill as you go off road, that has a hard right turn which is tricky to navigate for faster runners, like a Cross Country Run course in that section. Otherwise, yes, it pretty flat. With some shade, but not a lot.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for the people handing out cups of beer I think around 1 or 2 miles into the run. Just what I needed.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Aug 10, 16 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backside of the loop in the Whirlpool campus has a longish false flat uphill that is just enough to grind on you. Benson Hill...run it if you can but do not try and be a hero! I have seen a lot of people run up it only to walk once they are at the top because their HR is too damn high...pace it right because there is a long flat-to-down hill section immediately at the top, both second loop and return to finish.

Quote | Reply
Word is a record number of participants this year, 2600. So parking and all could be a bit more challenging. Also, stay safe out there especially on the bike. They don't close down any of the roads to traffic and a lot of newcomers to the sport riding 2 to 3 wide chit chatting from my past experience. So have some patience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone want to carpool from chicago? Flying in Thursday night looking to leave for the race Saturday morning.
Quote Reply

Prev Next