Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if a non-drive-side 105 crank 5700 will fit on a non-drive-side Ultegra 6700? I am looking at getting the 105 Stages meter instead of the Ultegra once since as far as I can tell, the extra $100 price tag on the Ultegra model only buys you the Ultegra logo instead of 105. They look identical otherwise.

Not sure why there is a $100 difference between the two.
Does the thickness of the cranks differ?
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Aug 5, 14 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series? [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the spline is identical. Should work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will work fine. 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace all have the same spline and pinch bolt construction and are interchangeable. I use a DA Stages on both the DA9000 and Ultegra 6800 series cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will work fine. I have that set up on my bike. The $100 pays for a few grams less of weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works fine. I have 105 and switch it back and forth between tri bike and road bike, both of which have Ultegra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same set up.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series? [s7trice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s7trice wrote:
Will work fine. I have that set up on my bike. The $100 pays for a few grams less of weight.

Come on... I bet it deflect about 0.0001" less at 800Watts. That shit is important.

The metal itself might be slightly less strong, so it's possible the splines might not be as durable as Ultegra. But swapping it a couple times a year shouldn't be an issue. But I wouldn't swap it a couple times a month.

I've had a 105 crank since Feb. No issues at all. Even submerged it in about 18" underwater on a flooded road. Ant+ does not transmit through water BTW. But picks the signal right back up a few seconds later. My freehub did not fare as well. You don't realize how important a freehub is until you jam the chain for the 3rd time and really want to stop pedaling late into a 4-12 hour ride and realize you can't without coming to a complete stop. It's the 35mph+ descents with bumps that are a real bitch.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have been using trainerroad for ages and just got my stages the other day. Did it take you a lot of practice to smooth out the power on your stages similar to trainerroad? I find it fairly easy with TR 3sec power to hover within a watt or two of a targeted figure. Using the stages on the trainer or the road for the first few goes, im having real issues holding a steady power without it jumping around a fair bit. Its on 3 sec smoothing too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is genius!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stages will show you pretty quickly how even and balanced your pedaling is. No masking it. I use 10s power to make it a little easier to pace with.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please elaborate on how the Stages shows you the balance of your pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power meter 105 cranks on Ultegra series? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Please elaborate on how the Stages shows you the balance of your pedaling.

The more uneven you pedaling effort form right to left, the numbers the number fluctuates by a factor of 2 at a similar overall effort.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply