Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stages Single Side vs Dual Side Power [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if you are monitoring fitness changes then you really want to be looking at general trends over time, not putting too much stock in any one day. So that 4% balance issue should average itself out.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Single Side vs Dual Side Power [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess if you can get past the demotivation that not meeting power targets would likely cause (for me at least!) then you’re right, they probably would balance out over time. I think if that’s all you’re planning on using a power meter for then you’re maybe wasting your money though? I suspect HR vs speed or time up a local climb would be as useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
I guess if you can get past the demotivation that not meeting power targets would likely cause (for me at least!) then you’re right, they probably would balance out over time. I think if that’s all you’re planning on using a power meter for then you’re maybe wasting your money though? I suspect HR vs speed or time up a local climb would be as useful.

I agree with that, which is one of the reasons I don't have one (yet). I want a decent PM that I can use to accurately pace in a race. Which means I'm waiting til I can afford the one I want (probably vector 3)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Single Side vs Dual Side Power [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have/had Stages, Quark, Powertap and SRM. I know I am one of the few, but Stages is the one I would be most likely to buy again. I have never had even a single ride that was worse that 49/51 and don't even look at the balance anymore. The Stages simply has the best cost/benefit for me. Contrary to previous posts, I have not found that balance changes from ride to ride or within a ride. YMMV.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Jan 31, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Single Side vs Dual Side Power [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is certainly a case of for some people a stages would be fine, for others it won't be. The issue is, how do you know if it will work for you unless you have previously used a dual sided? Out of interest, ignoring that aspect, why is it the one you would most likely buy again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get everything I need from the Stages for a lot less money. You are correct though, if I had never had a dual sided meter, I would want one to know if my power was balanced. However, I am also not sure what I would do with that info once I had it.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next