Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages Power meters. 105 vs dura ace
Quote | Reply
So, I've been searching around for a little over an hour now, trying to work out what the difference between a stages 105 and dura ace power meter is?

So far, all I have come up with is the weight... This is all very well, but it doesn't explain the price difference (£599 & £799), a £200 price difference when a whole chainset only has a price difference of £195???

Am I missing something? And am I correct in saying I could buy a 105 stages power meter and put it on my dura ace chainset?

I apologise in advance if I have missed an obvious article despite my googling.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power meters. 105 vs dura ace [josh_love] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power meters. 105 vs dura ace [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
105 It won't look as cool. It might weigh slightly more. It could be a little less stiff, so when you sprinting at 1000W expect a few thousands of a mm more flex. When you bike gets run over by a car, a duraace might survive where the 105 cracks in 1/2. OF course that's not a serious problem when the rest of your bike is in 20 pieces.

The only legitimate difference is that if you take it on/off a lot, it's possible the splines may wear out sooner on the 105.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about Ultegra. That's what I have, never checked the pricing, just went with it as that is what the rest of the bike components are.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power meters. 105 vs dura ace [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how do they justify the enormous price difference? They think people with dura ace already have enough money?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
josh_love wrote:
So how do they justify the enormous price difference? They think people with dura ace already have enough money?

From the prices I've seen, they just seem to be reflective of the price differences between the cranks. I believe there is only a $100 diff between the Ultegra and DA Stages PM, no?
Or are you referring to Shimano's MSRP price diff from 105 to DA? In that case, yeah, you pay a lot for the prestige of owning the DA cranks. Performance wise, no real diff IMHO. I went with the Ultegra stages, as I like the way the Ultegra 6800 crank looks, and I didn't want to pay for a new DA crankset to get the drive side, big price diff between a 6800 crank and a 9000 crank. I got the 6800 crank from Ribble for 180.
Last edited by: gibson00: Jul 28, 14 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power meters. 105 vs dura ace [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The prices I have seen are (in the UK) £599 for 105, £799 for dura ace, and the whole chainsets cost £85 and £280... I just dont understand how the single crankarm demands a bigger price jump than the whole chainset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, in Canadian prices (sorry!) it looks roughly like:

Stages Ultegra - $879
Stages DA - $989

Ultegra Crankset - MSRP $309 (again, cheaper from UK mailorder with coupons...)
DA 9000 Crankset - MSRP $639 (probably $450 mailorder from UK, or less with coupon)

So from Canada, the diff between the Ultegra and DA stages is only a little over $100, much less than the difference in price for a whole crankset.

Of course, if you already own a shimano crank, just buy the matching stages arm. In my case, I was on SRAM Red, so was starting from scratch and needed to buy both the PM and the matching crankset...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, so I have dura ace 7800, so the closest aesthetic match is the 105 crankarm, guess I'll just have to scrub off the "105" on it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, use it as an excuse to sell the 7800 group and upgrade to an 11 speed group!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a DA9000 rear derailleur, I like my bike to look rustic, on that note, maybe I get a black crankarm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's actually a huge lie, it's an ultegra 11 speed 1
Quote Reply