Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted...
Quote | Reply
Although I don't have a huge problem with the idea of swimming open-water solo (I've done the last couple of weekends), it would be a little more comforting having someone else out there. So,...

Anyone in the St. Charles, Missouri area want to get together for some weekend OW swim training?

I have access to a pretty decent lake for the purpose (no motorized boat traffic, pretty clean, no debris, only light fishing traffic, nice dock).

If so, shoot me a PM and we'll set it up.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in St. Charles and I can't think of any lakes suitable for swimming. Where is this lake located??

It's in New Town. You have to be a resident or guest to use it. If it's been more than a few years since you lived here, it didn't exist.

There's also a pretty long canal system in Town. I haven't swam it yet, but plan to.

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where's New Town?

I lived in Old Town when I was there. Just off of Jefferson Street by the Immanual Lutheran Church.

New Town is a new community they started construction on just a few years ago. It is located between HW370 and HWB just West of Boschertown/HW94. Here's a link...

http://www.newtownatstcharles.com/

Check out the aerial photos in the Photo Gallery.

Steve

Steve

Last edited by: The_Mickstar: May 22, 07 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, good old Boschertown. That area was full of ''river rats'' back in my day. We used to go down to French Town to buy and sell bait when we were kids. Then, during high school, the bait shops became THE place to buy beer.

New Town looks nice.

Newtown looks like The Truman Show.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How nervous do you get when the water starts to rise?

In '93 you would have been swimming to get home.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The floods were always ''cool'' when I was in high school because they let the boys out to help fill sand bags. Why I ever though filling sand bags was better than sitting at a desk daydreaming is beyond me.

It'll be just like living on a tropical island (except for the stench).

I'm not nervous. That's what flood insurance is for.

Besides, 1993 was a "hundred year flood". We're safe for another 86 years!

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, what times were you looking to swim? I might be interested but have a couple of questions. Where does the water come from? I did the John Howard Biathlon last weekend and it looked a little dirty and cold (no wetsuit). How fast can you swim and when were you looking to splash in the canel. I'm not the fastest swimmer, in fact I just did my first swim workout of about 2500 yards at RSC on Monday. Innsbrook is going to be open for Quartermax entries in June. Also, Barro and one of my buddies are taking off work to ride 115 miles on june fifth. The route we are taking is on usatf.org under Marthasville Missouri if you want to look at what could be a good route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not so sure about just picking a lake and swimming in it...........there is the quartermax training day option, there is also the creve coeur park multipsort series. More info at http://www.swimbikerunstlouis.com/. Creve Couer lake is actually cleaner than the lake that the Lake Saint Louis Tri is held in...............who knew.
Last edited by: jd100: May 24, 07 21:31
Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [wcdavis1451] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No specific times in mind. I've been swimming in the lake the last few weekends w/ the wetsuit, but it's actually a little warm once I get going. I'm going to give it a go w/o the suit this weekend.

I don't know where the water comes from, but the lake was built with swimming, canoeing, etc in mind (it's one of the big things they community touts) so I have to believe that it's fine. And, swimming in it hasn't changed my mind. It's certainly cleaner than a lot of places they hold triathlons.

I'm not a terribly fast swimmer (predict ~8:00 flat for Rec Plex) and don't swim terribly hard open-water. I use it more for acclimation and sighting practice.

If you're interested (I'm planning on going tomorrow afternoon), shoot me an e-mail.

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [jd100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you read the thread??? I'm not just picking some random lake & swimming in it.

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: St. Charles, MO area - OW swim training partner wanted... [jd100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am not so sure about just picking a lake and swimming in it...........there is the quartermax training day option, there is also the creve coeur park multipsort series. More info at http://www.swimbikerunstlouis.com/. Creve Couer lake is actually cleaner than the lake that the Lake Saint Louis Tri is held in...............who knew.
The Creve Coure Park Multisport Series sounds like fun, but I am not going to become a USAT annual member just to do the races. What kind of bullshit is that??

I agree its rough to pay the annual membership rate just for this event, but there are many benefits of being an anuual member of USAT, the most of which is you don't have to pay the $10 one-day charge that is basically for insurance that most local events get through USAT....including any of the ultramax events, Lake Saint Louis, even the Tour de Kirkwood :-) If you do a few events its cheaper to just be an annual member.
Quote Reply