Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sports versus television: 0-1
Quote | Reply
"British Swimming bosses have hit out at the International Olympic Committee for switching swimming finals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics to the morning.

The move is a partial concession to American network NBC, who wanted events moved to suit its audience.

Chief executive David Sparkes said: "We're very disappointed - it's clearly a decision the IOC may come to regret."

National performance director Bill Sweetenham added: "Common sense sometimes doesn't prevail." "

([url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/6086814.stm[/url])

So it looks like people watching television are (or rather: advertising income is) more important for the IOC than the preferences/needs of the athletes at the Olympics.

Where is this getting us? Tele-voting for the winner of the 100m sprint? Please let the athletes have their olympics at which [i]they[/i] can excel. Real fans will watch the finals in the middle of the night if they have to...
Quote Reply
Re: Sports versus television: 0-1 [ptrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No big bucks, no Olympics. Sadly that is what it has come to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantasy sports for the Olympics, I can see ESPN and Yahoo getting into it....

I wonder if Michael Phelps will be the # 1 pick?

Anyways, this has been going on for a while, reason why NFL games end a 1AM and baseball is now starting way after 8PM...I dont like it a bit but hey all those fat couch potatoes are what drives the economy.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will Britain have any swimmers in the finals? And they don't seem to be complaining about gymnastics finals being in the morning now too, because they won't have any gymnasts in those...

What that clip also fails to mention is that rowing finals are now in the primetime for the British audience which is heavily into that sport. You can't please all the people all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that I don't understan why this is a negative effect on the athletes. After all don't you already wakeup at 4:00 am to go and swim?

The Olympics only really survive because people watch them. Catering to the audience is part of the sports survival, not to mention the only way that these pro athletes can earn a living. Are you sure thatthe swimmers aren't saying "this is awsome exposure for all of ust to be on Live in prime time. now we have a real shot a a sponsorship deal..."

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole reason we HAVE teh ITU format is because of television... And audiences with ADD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sports versus television: 0-1 [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as I am from the Netherlands, I'm not sure if Britain will have swimmers in the finals, but I doubt they don't. (I thought that it would be better to cite from the BBC site than from a Dutch site for the sake of being able to understand eachother. Take my word that the Dutch swimfederation&swimmers are not happy with this decision as well)
It's not that I am angry because I have to watch vd Hoogenband's performance in the middle of the night..
it's the fact that the athletes have a strong preference for keeping the finals in the evenings (local time). Whatever their reasons are, I would have expected the IOC to show more respect to the athletes wishes.
Last edited by: ptrs: Oct 26, 06 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Sports versus television: 0-1 [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ the sponsorship deals: I think this would count for world championships/series etcetera. As far as I know, sponsoring at the Olympics is exclusive for the event sponsors.

Shouldn't we 'protect' the Olympics by keeping it pure for the sports? (as far as this still is possible, since decay has indeed been going on for decades)
Quote Reply