Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinervals question
Quote | Reply
I just bought myself several Spinervals to pass the winter trainer hours. A couple of them are the newer ones that reference using a PowerTap. The others, however, are older and go only by gearing.

As I was scanning through one last night to check it out, it seems the gearing is completely unrealistic for me. While I'm no stud, I hardly consider myself a total slouch on the bike. Still, my 40k TT effort is NOT going to happen in 53/15 on my fluid trainer.

Anybody have an recommendations on converting the gearing they're using into FTP-based wattage ranges?
Quote Reply
Re: Spinervals question [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a cyclops2, so I have to back off 20-30% on the gearing. Kurt Kinetic has some conversion formulas for trainers on their website.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the opposite I have to either increase the resistance or my gearing sometimes to make the session realistic.

It all depends on your trainer and what resistance it can generate.
Last edited by: doug_steel: Jan 9, 07 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 1-up trainer and use the indoor training tire with the smooth tread. Both make it harder to use the gears listed in the Spinerval DVDs. I tend to use a gear or 2 less than what Troy is using. Maybe I tend to crank the resistance down a bit too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We always laugh about this when we get together as a group for an indoor ride and put one of these on.
Troy has you in the "big ring on the front, 12 on the back" maintaining 90-100 rpm or whatever for a 20 minute effort. Yeah right. That isn't happening for me either (or anyone else I know) on a fluid trainer (and we're not bad riders either).
They do, however, pass the time and you'll probably work harder during one of these than you would on your own just watching the hockey game!
Try staying in the recommended gearing and watching the "perceived exertion" meter in the top left corner on most of the videos to use as your guide if the rpm seems unrealistic.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started doing them, I could never hang w/ Coach Troy, even on the Aero Base Builder series. However, after 2-3 months, I was able to match most of the dvds.

But, I have noticed that some training sessions are inconsistent with others, meaning that he is not consistent w/ gear, cadence and perceived exertion. I cannot remember which ones they are, but, there are one or two that I go one gear down from what he says.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Spinervals question [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you watch carefully you'll see the athletes in all the spinervals do not have any resistant to the back wheel.........that is why occasionally you see the shadow of the person who comes out quickly to spray water on the athletes to make it look they are sweating. Also on one of them you can see the cue cards in a reflection telling the riders to grimance and roll their shoulders like it's the final 200 meters in the TDF. If your into this type of hollywood, troy's 5 day camp for $2000 should have plenty of "big hat, no cattle" sessions.

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply