Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Speedskating --> Cycling
Quote | Reply
I'm watching the Olympics in awe of their athleticism and, in the case of the speedskaters, their physique. Never having speedskated, I imagine this is analogous to track cycling – high power, short event. Anyone ever do this event and notice similarities or cross-training benefits?

Evidence of freakishness:
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [The_Aesthete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric Heiden, Clara Hughes to name only two...lots of crossover through the years.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was speed skating we would normally ride 200 miles in addition to the 5 or 6 practices a week. I was nowhere near world class though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post makes me sad.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I skated (age group pack skating) in the mid to late 1960's as a young kid before moving away from Milwaukee. I remember Eric Heiden who was one age group younger than mine. Cycling was an off-season training event but as a young kid, you did not specialized as older ones did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric Heiden took up speed skating as an off season workout and to keep the edge for bike racing. Turns out he was a better speed skater than biker. I run sometimes at the Petit ice center and sometimes would watch skaters who were headed to the olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude has small calves :)

As for the correlation between speed skating and cycling ... there are some that make the cross over very well, as has already been mentioned. If you want some time off the bike, cross training with speed skating or inline skating is a good way to go. Similar muscles used, just in a bit different manner.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to say there are some cross country skiers who are also XC mountain bikers as well - but their names are totally escaping me.

IMO it's one of the most impressive feats when you see athletes cross over two sports and compete at the highest level. Nuts.

Never thought about roller blading as cross training - that could be fun :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [CAguy43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex Harvey for starters. Raced XC Mtb for Canada as a Jr and is a contender in Sochi. His dad raced road and xc ski at 5 olympics for Canada and was the first North American to win an XC ski world cup.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedskating or inlineskating could be excellent cross-training, provided one has the skills or the proper mechanics, as they are very technical sports and you are willing to suffer! Just some cruising around won't do much, I think.
But if you have these skills, it is even more demanding than cycling ( weightbearing!) using the same musclegroups and more (i.e core, etc.)
Like former posters already mentioned: lots of examples of successful athletes, who combined both sports.
During the off-season I like to mix up my training with a weekly visit to the skating oval. And these sessions make my legs burn!
During summer I also like to do some inlineskating, especially when I' m traveling and can't have my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan Kuck, Olympic speed skater races on my team. Does pretty well at both
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the early 70's in the northeast we skated during the winter at least 3x a week. We had training sessions at a number of the rinks in NY and NJ... a lot of skaters and skater/bike riders....plus indoor race series in NYC once a week....trainer choices were limited back then mostly just rollers so skating was an alternative.

http://www.TomMoschettoFitness.com
Cycling Coach/Trainer/Motorpacing/Computrainer Rental
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [Ynsnits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has become more specific ... the guys here ride a fair but but do spend way more time on the ice than in the past. I remember when they made a big deal about breaking a world record at a local meet in the summer time a few years back.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/..._m_speed_skating_men

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Connie Carpenter and Connie Paraskevin. Bonnie Blair attempted to get into track cycling at a high level, but was not as successful as the other two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clara Hughes of Canada has won multiple Olympic medals in both Cycling and Speed Skating.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
This post makes me sad.

Quote | Reply
It's not the cross-training that makes me sad. It's the lack of knowledge of the the history of US cycling. Read up on Heiden and Team 7-Eleven.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
It's not the cross-training that makes me sad. It's the lack of knowledge of the the history of US cycling. Read up on Heiden and Team 7-Eleven.

Ah....I see. I've been sucked into the Euro cycling lore, but it's true, I haven't spent much time on US cycling. Any good reading to suggest (other than google's hits)?

Quote | Reply
Jim O's book on Team 7-Eleven is a good read if you want to go into more depth than a standard Google search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Aesthete wrote:
I'm watching the Olympics in awe of their athleticism and, in the case of the speedskaters, their physique.

But a question comes up which is unavoidable in this modern age: how many of the athletes that you are watching and are in awe of are free of any ... uh ... 'assistance'? Sadly, the reality is, not so many. And this guy is, not by any stretch, my hero, but about this topic, well, he knows his sh*t.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 11, 14 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It transfers well. Others have already mentioned Eric heiden. In the more recent years, there has been us crit national champ Theresa Ryan. She was the best of the best on inlines, and almost made the Olympic ice team this year. Chad Burdzilauskas is a domestic pro that came from in lines. I raced inlines for over a decade before I started racing bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedskating --> Cycling [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Connie Carpenter and Connie Paraskevin. Bonnie Blair attempted to get into track cycling at a high level, but was not as successful as the other two.

Sheila Young-Ochowicz (Roger Young's sister) was World Champion (Sprint) on the track as well as Olympic Gold medalist in speed skating
Last edited by: markg: Feb 11, 14 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Just as an aside, Eric Heiden is now a Orthopod, and the team doctor for US Speedskating. He was the one that directed Max Celski's rehab when he sliced his thigh open at the Trials 5 months before the Vancouver Olympics.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://online.wsj.com/...04579373202050332172

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sven Kramer became second at the Dutch youth nationals time trial in 2004. Behind Gesink.

2 years ago he was supposed to ride Olympia's Tour, but that didn't happen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next