Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedfil issues--Z4
Quote | Reply
Anyone have issues with a Speedfil Z4 while using zip ties...where when pulling the bottle (away from you) and out of the cage, the entire system slides along with it?
Tightened those zip ties as tight as I could & it just doesn't seem to secure on the aero bars well. I like the Rappster prototype Zipp cage with Garmin mount on it that has the base "clamp" that bolts on. While that would be a fraction heavier, it would keep it from sliding along the aero bars like zip ties do.

Any fixes in mind?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil issues--Z4 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky -

A few spins w electrical tape, a small piece of bar tape and a little extra tension on the zip ties should do the trick. Email us at tech@invisciddesign.com or sales@invisciddesign.com if you have further issues. Thanks!

David
Speedfil
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil issues--Z4 [Speedfil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations on tuning out the rattling noise the Z4 makes with a bottle loaded? I've tried a variety of bottles including my fave Specialized Purist bottles and still sound like chitty chatty bang bang going down the road. I like the design with the computer right on top in view, but not sure if I'll be able to deal with the noise much longer. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one of these lying around that I didn't like. Used the mount bars to mount the z4, solid as a rock
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil issues--Z4 [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
Any recommendations on tuning out the rattling noise the Z4 makes with a bottle loaded? I've tried a variety of bottles including my fave Specialized Purist bottles and still sound like chitty chatty bang bang going down the road. I like the design with the computer right on top in view, but not sure if I'll be able to deal with the noise much longer. Thanks

I haven't done it yet, but I am reminded every time I get on rough pavement and the chatter occurs. I have a roll of Industrial Strength Velcro that I bought for the Cee Gees pads and plan to cut a small square of the felt side of the Velcro and place under the computer mount. That should solve the issue. The adhesive on that type of Velcro really sticks good so it should not come off. So far I have just simply touched the mount with my wrists when on a rough road. My wrist almost touches it anyway so it is just a slight adjustment. Once I am back on smooth pavement I have no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHoops, forgot the link to the mount

http://www.amazon.com/...file+design+hc+mount
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil issues--Z4 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like that could be a winner... I don't think there's too much of a gap to fill in. I think it may be more pronounced on my setup as I have the Z4 mounted directly to the TriRig BTA mount, which probably is a lot more rigid of a platform than an x-lab topedo mount or zip-tying the Z4 directly to the extensions. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil issues--Z4 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think I saw another thread where ChrisM mentioned this, so I bought the same Profile Design mount for the Z4 -- works great.

My first time out, my aerobars were pointed a bit down, and I was using a Camelbak Chill bottle, which was sliding out. After I switched to the more "standard" bottle, which matched the notch on the Z4 holder, and straightened the bars a little, it held like a champ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a trek speed concept and have 2 ties in front of the bar clamp and 2 behind. The bottom of the bottle sits pretty far back, roughly even with the arm pads and my elbows. It does slide a tiny bit, but seems ok to me.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you mounting with cable/zip ties or a rigid platform? Be sure whichever you are using the mount is firm and/or cables are tight. While the rattling is rare it can occur with a slightly smaller diameter bottle. But as you mentioned you are using a Specialized Purist and that should fit quite tightly. Alternatively, because of the unique design and ports for cable/zip ties you can "pinch" the cage based on the placement of the ties and angle of the cage opening.

Nevertheless, be sure the mount is secure. If all else fails a small piece of rubber from a computer mount adhered to the underside of the computer mount can bridge the gap between bottle and cage.

Either way send us a direct email and let us know how your are getting along. We are here to help!

David
sales@speedfil.com
Speedfil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, just wanted you to know I got my Garmin mount int he mail today, thank you! Customer service at Speedfil is top notch. In regards to zip ties and the Z4 cage, I used the one's provided in the kit and they broke in the first few pulls out of a regular water bottle, not the A4 system. If you are using the A4 cage between the bars and want to have the option of using the Z4 set up or just your own bottle, get the HEAVY DUTY extra wide and thick Zip ties. They are gold and never break.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to confirm that the piece that I find that is making the vibration noise with a Purist bottle is circled in red on the attached images. I tried to get a close up but I don't have a picture at the moment. You might be able to see a slight gap in the outdoor image because the Purist bottle has a taper. A slight bit of felt stuck underneath that portion of the mount (from the felt side of Velcro) should eliminate that chatter and also provide a texture that will let the bottle slide in, whereas, rubber might be a tacky/sticky material and cause some frustration replacing or removing the bottle. The mount portion seems to sit tight against the bottle so I don't think it creates chatter on a Purist bottle.

To Speedfil - I really like this bottle / computer mount. I am not a competitor, but it has served me well so far on long solo self-supported courses. I did use X-lab plate and it provides a solid surface and in my case gave me some flexibility to slide the mount back because of the way the bar ends turn inward, which was also why I have it pointed backwards. Not really an issue for me and it works well for how I train/ride.

http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...-z4-bottle-cage.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. I have the Z4 attached directly to a TriRig BTA mount, which is bolted between the aerobar arm cradles -- so a very rigid platform compared to zip ties or the X-lab torpedo straps that would tend to have some give. I'll give your suggestion a try and hope that quiets everything down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding. Please keep us informed. The TRIRIG BTA mount looks to be a good solid mount. Some solid mounts (depending on setup and position) can cause additional chatter. The benefit to zip ties is allows for some suspension and can dampen the vibration. Again, totally dependent on setup and position. The previous post had another great suggestion too with using a bit of felt to allow for better extraction/replacement of the bottle.

David
Speedfil
sales@speedfil.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the Z4 intended to have the bottle face back towards the rider vs a forward direction?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil issues--Z4 [rbtripp5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally rider/cockpit dependent. The cage can mount either direction. Personally, when using a removable bottle I prefer bottle facing towards me so when I pull the bottle out it does not greatly affect steering. Pulling a bottle away from you tends to compromise steering more. But again, personal preference and the cage can work wither way.

David
Speedfil
Quote Reply