Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept Brakes/Brake Pads
Quote | Reply
Open question to any speed concept owners (with the hidden brakes).

How hard is it to change out brake pads?
How hard is it to modify the width of the brake pads?

I am looking into a speed concept and I have carbon brake track wide racing wheels. I currently use a set of carbon brake track skinny rim training wheels but have the bontrager brake levers with the barrel adjuster built in. Very convenient for race day to swap wheels and spin it a bit and go. If I go with the speed concept, I would also be moving to electronic shifting with the requisite brake levers that as far as I know do not have any options for the barrel adjuster.

Other options would possibly be to use wide rimmed aluminum but then I would prefer to switch out brake pads for effectiveness and to not shred my carbon brake tracks with aluminum shards.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Brakes/Brake Pads [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swap my pads and width on my SC between my alum stock rims and my aeolus race wheels. While it's more tedious than on my road bike, it isn't that tough. The rear is a little cramped to work in, but I have gotten used to it.

Brake width is easier than the pads, just a small alan key through the side hole on the brake cover. All told, 5, maybe 10 minutes (if the tv distracts me) and my pads and width are changed.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what model year are you looking at?

PAD WIDTH

If it's 2014 onwards, all you need is a 2mm hex wrench to adjust the centering setscrews on front and rear brakes...don't need to remove covers or anything, and for the rear you can access the adjustment for both sides from the nondrive side of the bike.

pre-2014, the front brake works exactly as above. the rear requires some disassembly to move spacers from inside to outside the brake arm (or vice versa).

PAD CHANGES

2014-onwards, the retaining bolt for the pads can be accessed without removing brake covers, though it's probably easiest to do with wheels out of the bike (likely, since you're changing wheels anyway). remove bolt, slide pads out, slide other pads in, replace bolt.

pre-2014, it's a 1.5mm hex to loosen and remove the retaining bolts in the pad holders, and it may be easiest to loosen the pad holders themselves to angle them towards you for easier access to said bolts.

as an alternative to both of the above, you could get a second set of pad holders for front and rear which are always loaded up with your other pads...then you're changing out the whole cartridge as a unit.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Brakes/Brake Pads [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be looking to purchase a new speed concept, so 2014. I am assuming this is the same on all 7.5 and up speed concept models as they appear to have the same front end (and rear brakes)?

For the brake pads, what kind of pad holders do they use? Are they simple Shimano compatible or are they some other style. I ask because I have multiple shimano style holders in my parts bin loaded up with the various brake pads I need to swap out on my other bikes today and that would be simple for future...

Carl, if you know could you help me understand the differences between the 7.5 and the 9 series bikes? Outside of components, I am more interested in the frame/fork/seatpost differences. Is there much of a weight difference? Is there something significant to drive me towards the 9 series? I look at the 7.5 and the frame is what I am after. I already have the wheels I will be using and a crank based powermeter that I would be putting on it also. I also happen to have a line on Ultegra Di2 so... Not sure what more I could get from the 9 series.

Thanks,

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While this thread is going I'd just like to recommend the SwissStop Evo Pads. Blue I think. They're a bit thin which helps with getting enough clearance for very wide wheels (like my Jet+ wheels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, all 2014 SCs have the same brakes.

SC brake pad holders have a slightly different offset from Shimano...primarily due to the rear brake location vs the BB and chainstays. rather than have separate holders F&R, we just carry over the rear holders into the front brake.

the 9-series gets you maybe 350g in frame and fork weight savings. the 9-series also comes with a carbon post vs the 7-series aluminum post, and only the carbon one (along with battery bracket part# w332400) has Di2 internal battery mounting provisions.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 2014 SC 7.5 the brake pads were damn near impossible to switch. We had to put them in a vise and hammer the pads out :/ After that I bought new brakes, one set for my carbon wheels, one set for my aluminum. The brakes are really easy to switch out, I am relatively new to cycling etc. and can do it with no problem. I upgraded to DI2 this year and it is still a piece of cake. The width of the brakes (not the pads i am assuming, perhaps incorrectly) is easily adjusted as well with the same multipurpose allen tool.

Hope this is helpful :)
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Brakes/Brake Pads [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean you replaced the entire caliper or just pads? I could stand to have a little more rear stopping power on my current model SC7.5.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Brakes/Brake Pads [davecochrane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing he bought an extra set of pad carriers so he can just swap out the entire assembly when he changes between carbon and aluminum wheels.
Quote Reply