Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone!
Quote | Reply
I bought this saddle after my arione's leather near the nose began to come undone (currently being warranteed). I thought the arione was great for up to three hours of riding for me, but on the trainer or beyond that, my buddy went numb.

With the toupe saddle (horrible name), no numbness! I chose the wider width for my birthing hips (actually wider sit bones). The cutout is in an obvious place, but what I like is the thigh clearance similar to the arione; this just makes a ride more pleasant. Some notes of caution: this seat may seem at first hardly padded at all. Give it a few rides and you will prob. become accustomed to a new seat. The lack of padding actually is nice after you get used to it and provided you are wearing good bike shorts. It does flex a bit under body weight a little more than other saddles, so that takes some getting used to.

Pros: perenial bliss, thigh clearance.

Cons: takes some getting used to, prob. only available at a specialized dealer

Obviously saddles are very person specific, but if you want to ever please your lover again, i recommend you buy this ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [sleepy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using it in a Road (slack) or Tri (steep) configuration?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [RGRTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
road...

...But I have spent extended time in the drops with it and it seems to do the trick there as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something to be aware of with this saddle is that it does flex quite a bit, so if there is not very much space between top of seatpost and saddle, "stuff" can be rubbed between the saddle opening and top of seatpost. Had it on the Cervelo Soloist which has a seat adjustment screw on top of the seatpost, needless to say, only lasted one ride and walked funny for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [jsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used it on thomson and one bolt clamp seatposts fine. I think the cervelo is probably only one of a few.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [jsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it safe to say then that Soloist owner's and this saddle do not mix? Currently running an Arione. Have been for two years. It's good but not great. Was considering a switch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using this on a tri configuration and it works great. Can't even feel the saddle until you've rode 2-3 hours!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm now using the Alias, slightly more padding than the Toupe, on my Cannondale (steep~80 degrees) and have been pleased with it..even after 5+ hour rides.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like what specialized uses to measure your sit bone width.

My bony ass needs a 130mm width saddle.

After I got the Toupe in that width, riding has become so much better after 4+ hours of riding.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [jedi_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also using the alias on my P3c, seems good so far but I haven't raced it yet. I don't notice it all during training. FWIW, I HATED the Arione.

TK
ttbikefit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three, love em, done 8 hour rides with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea how it compares to the SLR with a cutout?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [e28m5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the Alias? Did you also check out the Toupe? I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the Arione as well (came on my Saber). Good for about an hour, then not so good. Have you gone for long training rides (3-6 hours) in the aero position with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized toupe saddle review: numbness begone! [danimalNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not try the toupe. The nose seemed harder to the touch to me on the toupe, but I did like the mid-saddle flex it had. It might depend on how you sit on the saddle - I figured since I have an aggressive forward/low position, that the nose of the toupe might be too hard. But as I said I haven't tried it. I have not taken it on any long aero rides.

TK
ttbikefit.com
Quote Reply