Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spare tube.
Quote | Reply
Just getting into triathlons and was hoping for some direction regarding spare tubes. I’m running zipp 858 nsw wheels with a continental 28mm tire tubeless. When I raced enduro mtn bikes I always carried a tube just in case. Any light weight tubes that don’t require a valve stem extension? Thanks for any advice or suggestions!!
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [Wfo35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The plan is to ride tubeless and if you get a puncture to install a tube? Or are you asking about spare tubeless tires? GP5000 are foldable, so that works.

There are tubes with 80mm stems. AFAIK that's the longest available. Even with 80mm stem you would need a valve extender on the zipp 858. Might as well run a 60mm valve stem with an extender because 60mm is more common. Install the valve stem ahead of time and test the seal. It's fine as long as it fits in your flat kit.

I'm a fan of butyl for spare tubes. Latex leaks CO2 fast, and is harder to install correctly by the side of the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPU would be better than butyl on all dimensions except cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
On average yes but it greatly depends on the specific TPU tube and tube/tire combo.

That's for rolling resistance. Pay no attention to few grams of weight difference. We don't constantly brake and accelerate in triathlon. Crit racing maybe it'd make a tiny difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wfo35 wrote:
I’m running zipp 858 nsw wheels with a continental 28mm tire tubeless.
You need a plug kit and two CO2s.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:

We need someone to try out the $2 alipexpress ones and report back. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:

We need someone to try out the $2 alipexpress ones and report back. :)
I'd do it for the lulz. Some safe predictions: worse than butyl. Made as thin as they could possibly be made. Can spontaneously burst for little reason or no reason. Valve or valve stem are leaking. It's a little too small or a little too big to fit on a rim properly. Smells of solvent out of the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
The plan is to ride tubeless and if you get a puncture to install a tube? Or are you asking about spare tubeless tires? GP5000 are foldable, so that works.

There are tubes with 80mm stems. AFAIK that's the longest available. Even with 80mm stem you would need a valve extender on the zipp 858. Might as well run a 60mm valve stem with an extender because 60mm is more common. Install the valve stem ahead of time and test the seal. It's fine as long as it fits in your flat kit.

I'm a fan of butyl for spare tubes. Latex leaks CO2 fast, and is harder to install correctly by the side of the road.

Riding tubeless with sealant, I have gotten slices that sealant won’t plug. I have used an empty gu package to line a slice and install a tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get tubulito or ridenow TPU tubes in long extension lengths. IMO TPU is the way to go for a flat kit (I run latex tubes for training/racing). The light weight is a side benefit; the real advantage is that they pack really small. Crr for TPU tubes varies from being close to latex to almost the same as butyl....but for a spare tube it really isn't a consideration IMO.

example (45-85mm stems available): https://www.amazon.com/...LLPS93X9LD1&th=1
\

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
You can get tubulito or ridenow TPU tubes in long extension lengths. IMO TPU is the way to go for a flat kit (I run latex tubes for training/racing). The light weight is a side benefit; the real advantage is that they pack really small. Crr for TPU tubes varies from being close to latex to almost the same as butyl....but for a spare tube it really isn't a consideration IMO.

\

I agree on the small packing size. For road and gravel I now carry a small pump. But for racing I have co2’s. I’ve seen some concern about TPU with cold co2 temps and possible fragility. Any firsthand co2 tpu experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
[Any firsthand co2 tpu experience?
Before I went tubeless I used Tubolitos for years. I never experienced any problems with using CO2 inflators with the TPU tubes.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Feb 12, 24 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s exactly what I was looking for and couldn’t find!!! Thanks!!! I also will be using c02 in the event of a flat.

I just clicked on link and they are only 85mm valve stems. Still too short for zipp 858 wheels
Last edited by: Wfo35: Feb 12, 24 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use the straw type extenders that don't relocate the valve core. I pre-apply teflon tape to the valve threads for a good seal.

These are the Zipp ones, but cheap amazon/aliexpress/ebay ones work just as well.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wfo35 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Riding tubeless with sealant, I have gotten slices that sealant won’t plug. I have used an empty gu package to line a slice and install a tube.

Whilst it was epic muppetry on my part, one of my early tubeless rides I got a puncture with a slice big enough to need a dynaplug. That was ok, but lost some air, so at top of next hill (group ride regroup) went to top up the pressure, bike slipped from where it was leant and I bent the valve. At that point not having a spare tube/extender even with 4 CO2, dynaplugs and fibre sealant left me stuffed. I now have a tube and extender in the seat bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

\

None of them answer OPs question because they're not long enough
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s looking like no manufacturers produce a light weight tube with a 100mm stem. Want to keep it simple and compact, was hoping a tube would fit in the frame tool storage on my Argon18 E119. I will get a tubolito with a valve extension and see if it fits ahead of the tool bag in the storage compartment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember this was for a spare tube...
Last edited by: ecce-homo: Feb 13, 24 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a valve extender adds no additional significant weight or size. In the case of revoloop you don't even need teflon tape. And I also have good experience with co2 and TPU tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wfo35 wrote:
It’s looking like no manufacturers produce a light weight tube with a 100mm stem. Want to keep it simple and compact, was hoping a tube would fit in the frame tool storage on my Argon18 E119. I will get a tubolito with a valve extension and see if it fits ahead of the tool bag in the storage compartment.

In case it's too long to fit with the extender, you can always pack the extender parallel to the tube and attach it right before use.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Wfo35 wrote:

In case it's too long to fit with the extender, you can always pack the extender parallel to the tube and attach it right before use.

I will try that! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wfo35 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Wfo35 wrote:

I will try that! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

It's not as big a deal as you think. People have been rocking a latex tube and extenders and the small tool for extenders/valves for decades now.

I still bring the extender, but honestly, every time I flat with my tribike now, I just use the tool to remove the extender that's on the flatted tube and transfer it to the new tube. It adds barely a minute to the total time, and is a rounding error compared to the whole rigmarole of checking for thorns, proper mounting, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What tool are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Park tool

Both removes the core as well as tightens the valve extender on installation
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What tool are you referring to?

If you buy a valve extender, this little tool is usually in the package and it works very well so you can keep it in your tool bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGC2EG/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_pd_te_o_mr_ti/137-3248289-1387420?
_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008RVWF66&pd_rd_r=172CB5XASZSG4C76HVD8&pd_rd_w=e53cP&pd_rd_wg=9uedq&th=1&psc=1

To OP, get a spare tube with 45mm valve and get the 60mm valve extender and they should work for you. Since you have 858NSW wheel on both front and back, you can install the valve extender and keep it in your tool bag. I have 858NSW in the front and Super-9 disc in the back. If I get a flat in the front, I just simply move over 60mm valve extender from the old tube to the new spare tube. If I get a flat in the back, I just use the spare tube as is since 45mm fits perfectly on Super-9..
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tube. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use your fingers to tighten a valve extender.
Quote Reply

Prev Next