Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spacer removal question
Quote | Reply
While I would consider myself 'useful' with tools and such I've never done much in depth bike maintenance. I'd like to remove a spacer from my P2SL/Easton fork. Is it as simple as taking out the hex bolt in the top cap, lifting off the stem, removing a spacer, putting stem back, putting spacer on top and reseating cap and bolt?

I don't want to get into cutting the stem or anything right now. Just want to make sure if I do the above a bunch of bits won't shoot out like a jack-in-the-box...

Thanks in advance for any comments on how to do this right.

- Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Spacer removal question [mike_28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure hope that's right, cause that's how I did it on my bike.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. That's how I do it David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did this last week. You'll probably want to use a hacksaw like the one Park Tools has. Just remember the old carpenters adage....measure twice, cut once.

That and make sure you tighten the cap bolt before the stem bolts.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what you need to do. And by the way, you'd cut the steerer tube, not the stem. I would not want to see what would happen if you cut the stem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tighten the stem after the cap and make sure the cap isn't too loose or too tight. Too loose you can check by holding the front brake and pushing the bike, you'll know if it's not right. Too tight and the bars won't turn freely.
Quote Reply
Re: Spacer removal question [psimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for this - i'm thinking about getting a little lower in front on my P1, and may be doing this in the next week or so (going to race my current setup first, then fiddle with it). won't be cutting anything, because lord knows i may need to put it right back the way it was!

i've changed stems and headsets on MTB, but not on road/tri/TT...figured it couldn't be THAT much different..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Careful, the Easton forks usually use a special spring loaded plug to anchor itself in the fork tube. If that's the case, it's a little more complicated than what everyone else is saying.

You may want to read the instruction manual at eastonbike.com.
Quote Reply
Re: Spacer removal question [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information from all around... one question since curiosity will eventually kill me.

Why does the order you tighten the cap/stem matter? I am fine with doing it the right way - just trying to understand the rationale. My stem is the kind with the two horizontal hex bolts one on top of the other on the back side of the steer tube if that matters. Thanks.

- Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cap squishes the fork into place (not too tight). When you tighten the stem it freezes everything as it is so the cap has to come first. I hope that makes sense. If you really look at the set up it will be kind of obvious what each piece is for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top cap forces the stem down so it is properly seated. If you tighten the two stem bolts first it might not be seated all the way down against the headset. It could leave a small gap which causes the fork to jiggle around. I know because I did this and my LBS laughed at me ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Spacer removal question [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally makes sense... thanks again guys.

I took one spacer out and over a 40K ride can't say I noticed a difference at all. Indication it was way to high to begin with or need a multi-hour ride to truly appreciate the difference?

- Mike
Quote Reply