Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

South Beach Tri, who else is here? Course Tips? Water temp?
Quote | Reply
Having my first go at this one tomorrow morning, any last minute advice? Looks like beautiful weather, maybe a little on the hot side. Can't wait!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach Tri, who else is here? Course Tips? Water temp? [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you breathe right the swim will be super-easy to sight :)

There's a tight turnaround up north on A1A. Try to find a gap in traffic so you're not too close to too many people. I made that mistake last year and had to bail into the grass... which was fine, I carried on, but it's an accident waiting to happen.

When you come off the last bridge and make a right you have a ways to go until transition so don't get out of your shoes yet :p

Be careful going into transition. Lots of people trying flying dismounts for the first time.

Go eat at Mike's Genuine afterwards. Trust me :)
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach Tri, who else is here? Course Tips? Water temp? [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No tips, racing here for the first time as well. See you out there!

Any word on water temp?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach Tri, who else is here? Course Tips? Water temp? [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked on NOAA last week and it was 79ish (the gulf is frigin' 82!). The RD at south beach always seems to find that 77.9f water pocket :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 4th time doing the race. Swim has been wetsuit legal in most years but not this time... looks like water temps are 80+. Humidity will be high and that run will be hot! There's a section of 1-2mi (depending on what race you're doing) where you run on sand - this is where the wheels fall off ;) The right side going into that out-and-back stretch will be deeper sand and most people will cross over on the left half which is reserved for athletes going the other way towards the finish because the sand is more packed there.
Watch out for joggers and people out on a walk / walking their dogs as the run course is not closed.

The water looks calm now but sometimes you're fighting a current, we'll see how it is tomorrow morning.

Roads are good but there are some rougher sections in downtown.

Good luck and enjoy the race!

Timbikerun wrote:
Having my first go at this one tomorrow morning, any last minute advice? Looks like beautiful weather, maybe a little on the hot side. Can't wait!
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach Tri, who else is here? Course Tips? Water temp? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not racing I've got a kiddo commitment tomorrow but I will say this: the start for South Beach triathlo olympic distance is my absolute favorite race start yet. Sunrise over the atlantic ocean toes in the soft white sand. It just doesn't get any better.

You do have to walk the distance from transition to the start. So leave transition with enough time.Tomorrow is supposed to be winds from the south up to 20 by mid morning - I hope you get smooth water earlier in the day. We never get super big surf down here but it's a truly wonderful swim when you can see the white sand under you the whole way. The bike is fun - we potholes in downtown ... it's s city use caution. The run is hot. The boardwalk is narrow and gets wet from dropped cups - watch your step, lift your feet, try not to be annoyed by clueless hotel guests darting across from their hotels to the beach. The ending on the sand is both wonderful and tortuous. Smile that 's where the camera is :-)
Quote Reply