Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore Butt from Bike Ride
Quote | Reply
So…I am training for my first triathlon, the Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon on August 17th. I am a pretty good swimmer and runner, so I am not really worried about those, but I am not really a good bike rider. I have been putting off my bike training as long as possible, and went on my first long ride yesterday for about 15 miles. I felt fine at first but then I could feel my butt really start to hurt. It is extremely sore today, and I feel like I can't go on another bike ride for a few days. I really want to do this triathlon because I am doing it with Team Fight, which raises awareness and money for young adults affected by cancer.

Does anyone have any suggestions about special shorts, padded seats...ANYTHING that can help? I need to find a way to be able to ride my bike, because this race is very important to me, as my family and friends have been affected by cancer. Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Butt from Bike Ride [Leahh3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of shorts are you wearing?

Running shorts? Cycling shorts? Bib? Tri shorts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some stock saddles are notorious for being poor quality even on some fairly nice bikes. That is where I would
put a few bucks if my butt hurt. Check with other female riders and see if they recommend an after market saddle.

Of course padded bike shorts are a good idea too.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leah, you need Time In The Saddle...and before that, a fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Butt from Bike Ride [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please don't take this the wrong way, I don;t care how fast anyone rides, that's beside the point, but even a sprint triathlon is a endurance event and If 60-70 minute, 15 mile ride is "long", then you need to ride more.

That's your issue first, but I'll 2nd getting a good bike fit.

You might focus on doing more shorter rides during the week to work up to it. Sometimes more frequency is easier to manage for building fitness.

Good luck at your event. You still have some time to get some more miles in and figure out what good even steady pace will work for you over the race distance.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, make sure you are wearing a good set of tri or bike shorts. Second, if you're in (or close to) Columbia, go talk to Mike Stone at Princeton Sports. I know lots of people who have had success with him alleviating discomfort issues. You may need a fit and if you swap saddles with them, I'm fairly certain they'll let you keep swapping until you get it right. Saddles and fit sessions aren't cheap, but it may make the difference between hating to ride and wanting to ride your bike. Once you get to the "wanting to ride" side of things, you won't spend a second questioning whether it was worth the money.

BTW, although it may be counter-intuitive, but going to a more padded saddle is often the wrong direction for these sorts of things. I would focus on the fit, the geometry of the saddle and getting some more time on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Leahh3,

Saddle discomfort can be a sport killer. Sometimes there is never a "perfect" solution. But as a start, consider the four and a half rules of road saddles:

http://www.cervelo.com/...f-road-saddles-.html

These rules can at least help you understand the different issues and the potential fixes for some of them.

Good luck, keep asking and keep trying!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even after riding a LOT for the last 7 years, my "underside" gets really sore if I have taken a break from riding for a couple months. The tenderness is miserable for a week or two, but then just goes away. I don't think it's necessarily a saddle/shorts thing. Just need some time to get used to being in the saddle. So yeah, more time in the saddle. If it hurts too much to sit on your saddle, stay off your bike for a few days. Then another ride, then off for a few days. My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Butt from Bike Ride [rvrrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echoing above,

you need a decent set of cycling shorts, look at spending 50-60gbp,

saddle wise ironically harder saddles are often more comfortable,

regular ridding will harden your postierer....

a chamois lube with a cooling aditive can help to deaden the area to get you through a one off long ride

and if your still struggling one of those slip on gell covers can offer good relief toward the end of a ride when its really starting to get too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What others said. More padded shorts. Possibly better saddle. That's hard to say. It is very individual, saddles are. Most people love their Adamo saddle. I got one and it sits in my bag of misc tri parts that I don't use often, and have switched back to stock saddle.

Above all, above all else, you simply need to ride more. Keep extending those rides until 30-40 mile rides feel "short" and proper training is 50 miles or more. Then you got it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Butt from Bike Ride [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Leah, you need Time In The Saddle...and before that, a fit.

This.

1. Good fit.
2. Time in saddle
3. Good saddle
4. Good shorts

In that order IMO 2 and 3 are about equal. An Adamo saddle made Q huge difference for me but that had its own pain curve.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's kinda like playing the guitar for the first time; your fingers will hurt, but you will harden to it with practice. Shorts are a good solution to help until your body has adapted. The fittest riders in the world use hard saddles and good bib shorts with padding and of course, cycle regularly. I went through the same thing as you did until I rode 3 or 4 30+ km rides a week. It got alot easier as my body naturally adapted. That being said if your saddle is pointed up your butt...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of saddle are you on and where exactly does your butt hurt? You have to figure this out because padded shorts may bot be the solution also, as someone previously posted, you need to ride more.

Quote | Reply
try a cutout seat.
chamois cream helps a lot with reducing friction, if that is part of your discomfort.
You might try the women's forum, and be more specific about where, exactly is sore. Nice people over there and you will get more responses from females about what saddles are comfy (or, at least, not uncomfy)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leah, you definitely need to work on your TITS!

Uh, 'time in the saddle' that is.

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! I am going to a bike shop this week to look at new saddles and bike shorts. This helped a lot!
Quote Reply