Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin.
Quote | Reply
Here's some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin on our editorial page today. It's on the left column, "Daily Editorial":

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting perspective. Good read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You consider Florida an exotic location? Man, Detroit must really suck then.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice article, but I find it hilarious/ironic that you refer to Benton Harbor, MI as the "Riviera" of the midwest when refering to Steelhead, and then bash Madison, WI as blue collar. IMHO, Benton Harbor is a shithole compared to Madison, but maybe that's just me.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. That is kinda funny. Good point. :) Fiddlesticks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you write this to remind people to bring their bikes to you so they will buy new tires, brakes, cogsets, chainrings, or possibly compact cranks for the the race? ;-)

I think your perspective is interesting too, thanks for sharing. For the record I never want to do this race. It seems way too volatile, which does not appeal to me.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [trinitythlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Did you write this to remind people to bring their bikes to you so they will buy new tires, brakes, cogsets, chainrings, or possibly compact cranks for the the race? ;-)

I think your perspective is interesting too, thanks for sharing. For the record I never want to do this race. It seems way too volatile, which does not appeal to me.[/reply]

I havent read Tom's piece, Im sure its interesting, but he has never done IMWI! IMWI is a great race and Madison is great town. To call it blue collar is ridiculous, It has the state capitol and one of the largest University's in the midwest. He must be confusing it with Detroit.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah typically any city with a major University/college in it is far from blue collar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 3 loops on Saturday would you like to tune up the bike?

Interesting perspective on Madison, I wouldn't have called that liberal island in a sea of conservatism "Blue Collar" but I think metaphor for the race itself is appropriate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMWI was my first, and it hurt, just like it should. I rode a road bike (my only bike) with aero-bars and found myself on the hoods a lot. Having a 12/25 cassette sure helped.

The swim isn't any worse than any other IM. I got the shit knocked out of me at IMLP this year, but skated through IMWI in 2004.

The run is very nice. Reasonably flat with great crowd support.

As far as IMWI being a blue collar race, I'd disagree. Madison puts it's best foot forward with an awesome venue and excellent support. From what I've heard about IMFL, Panama City is definatly more rednecky than IMWI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see ECE post, he elaborates better than I.

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting read. I do not think Tom is saying Mad-town is blue collar, he is saying the race is blue collar (i.e., the working man's triathlon). I agree with most of what he writes. This will be my first IM, however, living in the area, I have trained on the race course many times. The bike is brutal, period. Great for a bike race, but, tough for a traithlon course. The run is, well, like Tom says, urban.

For someone like me -- TERRIFIED about my first IM race -- I think the route is perfect. I draw strength from crowds and, trust me, I am going to need all I can get on that run. (Dang it! You made me think about the race again, I just threw up in my mouth ...)

One last comment -- Tom, I expect to see you in 2007. Consider this your official Cheesehead invitation...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Good article and an accurate description of the course. In 9 Ironmans, IMMoo is still one of the toughest I've done (and I've enjoyed 90+ conditions at CdA 3-times--I like the heat).

I equate Moo to Wildflower...It's a course which doesn't allow you to get a rhythm so it rewards patience, deep strength, and experience.

BTW, I'm not sure I think of Mad-Town as "Blue Collar." I think it's a bit more "Trustafarian" with lots of hippy-looking students driving Jettas provided by their parents.

Cheers,

Jonathan C. Puskas

www.wenzelcoaching.com

www.halffastvelo.com

http://www.ironheads.org

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [azierej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the same. Tom was reffering to IMWI as blue collar not necessarily Madison. But with all the midwesterners doing the race maybe it has a blue collar feel to it over other locations.

When did being reffered to as blue collar become a put down? I'm proud to have grown up partly on a farm and to have spent time in a factory. And if you meet better people than the ones you meet in Iowa then you are in with some pretty good company.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you're due for more punishment. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. I was writing about the race itself, the difficult, workman-like feel to it and the raw difficulty of the course. The race strikes me as a blue-collar effort. The participants are unpretentious and determined.

As for Madison, well, no doubt. The city itself is certainly a differnt matter being a University town, etc.

So, my characterizations using the vernacular "blue collar" apply to the tenor of the race, not the venue.

worthy observation.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost exactly what I was about to write. People just don't read carefully and often 'hear' what they want to hear.

Also with you on the other - why assume blue collar is a put down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom has conspicuously dodged my invitation to join me for IMMoo 2007 ...

On a side note, I thought I would share my incredible dilemma. I have Packer season tickets. Sept 10 is opening day in Lambeau against the hated Bears. Yeah, the Pack will likely suck again this year, but, still, born and raised in Green Bay so football is a religion. I am missing a day of fun in green and gold for ... well, a day of misery at IMMoo. You triathletes are sick puppies and you bastards have sucked me in ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh gad. Absolutely. Listen guys: I live in a car town, a factory town, a steel town. People work here.

A blue collar is a collar hard earned. It is an honest living, fought for and earned with honest labor.

I see the same thing among the cyclists in Belgium and Northern France. Tough athletes. tough men and women on a tough course in tough conditions. Blue collar. An honest day's racing for an honest day's result.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez Tom,

Just when I thought I was adequately prepared for this race I read your column and made a complete mess of my shorts. I am ok with the potential of a hot day after training thru the Florida summer. For me, the swim should be the easy part of the day. But the bike ….. I have ridden hills and figure to be ok so long as I can find an easier gear to spin up, but with all of the turns on that course I wonder if I can maintain an aero position for the race. Well thanks for your insights – I have now made arrangements to get my bike to my local ace mechanic for a tuneup, new tubes, tires, cables, cleats…….

As for the run, looking for some love from the fresh faced coeds to help get my groove on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

You are better athlete than I am, so there is no reason to NOT sign up and do it. This will be my third time. The first was hot (03) the second was hotter (04), so with 05 being a killer, we are do for a cooler day; I don't do well in heat.

I have trained hard and smart this year so with reasonable conditions and a little luck, I hope to set a PR. If I don't, it is still a hell of a fun race!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a different thread...but why does Bjorn have the bike course record when he DNF'd? Not trying to flame...just curious. Doesn't seem right.....

Also, can we get a gallery of the body shots? Perhaps put up an extranet and charge $5/month....

Just a thought.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good article, but I think your making it sound harder than it is. Now you make me wonder if not riding the course this year is a bad idea? Ive ridden many times before, and race their in 03 and 04.

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom:

Who is the girl in the trisuit and the wetsuit from your add? Why is she lying down with her eyes closed? Is she dead, or has she just done IMMoo?

Quote Reply
Re: Some thoughts on Ironman Wisconsin. [azierej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
his wife
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< but I think your making it sound harder than it is. Now you make me wonder if not riding the course this year is a bad idea? >>

OK folks, please take a deeeep breath and relax.

Tom's article is interesting and mostly well-written, as are most of his editorials. But, you are all forgetting one important detail - Tom has never done THIS race. (I know he is a tremendously experienced athlete at all distances, but IMHO, unless you have competed on a given course, it's pretty hard to know what it is really like)

So, while his thoughts and musings (the legal term for which would be "hearsay") make for entertaining reading, I would defer to the advice of those who have actually raced at this specific venue.

<< Ive ridden many times before, and race their in 03 and 04. >>

So now you are second-guessing yourself based on something you read online, that was written by a person who's never been there????

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next