Login required to post replies

Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT
Quote | Reply
Over the last 11 months below is my total training

Run: 154 activities 1149 miles 176 hours
Bike: 156 activities 4330 miles 262 hours
Swim: 78 activities 110 miles 75 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NICE! Hoping to do IMMT as my first full next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe post your data from the last two or three months............I would say averaging 15 runs/month and 7 swims/month sounds a little on the light side maybe?

Thanks to Euro-Sports for my H3Cs.

http://www.euro-sports.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, the fun is in the training
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Congrats, the fun is in the training

that is a bold faced lie! <pink>
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [boney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boney wrote:
Maybe post your data from the last two or three months............I would say averaging 15 runs/month and 7 swims/month sounds a little on the light side maybe?

Boney, I think the big takeway is that he did 500 hours in the last 11 months. This tends to be more important in determining IM outcomes than the panic training in the last 2 months. The last 2 months will only likely affect the last 15 minutes of performance given proper execution. The last 2 months are more important in Olympic and half IM when sharpening and shaving time off becomes really important. For most IM guys, what we are really worrying about it to get to 30K into the run with legs to spare for the final 12K. If you can do that in 60 minutes you are an age group hero. Your last 2 months might affect our last 1-2 hours of racing, but the first 130 miles or so, of IM racing was already won in the last year of training. Most people ignore the bulk of the year and expect to pull it off in a 3 months or so. The problem is, having a bad base means getting to 130 mile mark pretty empty.

Looks like the OP has put in the solid work over the full year.
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
boney wrote:

Most people ignore the bulk of the year and expect to pull it off in a 3 months or so. The problem is, having a bad base means getting to 130 mile mark pretty empty.

uh oh... so you're telling me there is no chance in hell i PR the swim, bike and run at my next IM even though i'll have a full 16 weeks of training in vs my previous races where i've only done 12?
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

While I tend to agree with you, my point is based on the OP stating this is their first IM. His training block would be very solid for an experienced IM athlete. I'm suggesting that 3+ runs per week and 1 or 2 swims, is a little light, that being said, it all depends on the goal of the individual.

Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [boney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boney wrote:
Hey Dev,

While I tend to agree with you, my point is based on the OP stating this is their first IM. His training block would be very solid for an experienced IM athlete. I'm suggesting that 3+ runs per week and 1 or 2 swims, is a little light, that being said, it all depends on the goal of the individual.

I think you are incorrect looking at the micro view. The macro view is he has done 500+ hour of training in the last year....that is going to trump any fine tuning on the weekly level. The homework was done and he will have a solid race. I have followed the weekly logs of around 60 IM athletes over the last 7 years...the guys who did the homework always have decent races....the guys doing all the fine tuning on top have great races. The guys that do the last 2 months panic training while sitting on their asses for 9 month have bad races.
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
boney wrote:

Most people ignore the bulk of the year and expect to pull it off in a 3 months or so. The problem is, having a bad base means getting to 130 mile mark pretty empty.

uh oh... so you're telling me there is no chance in hell i PR the swim, bike and run at my next IM even though i'll have a full 16 weeks of training in vs my previous races where i've only done 12?

I feel that the case of the experienced athlete is different....6-16 week ramp can be plenty when they are already strong aerobic machines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed re panic training.

For me, I would not have felt prepared for my FIRST IM on 7 swims a month and <15 runs a month. Now, my goal was sub 11, had it been 13, 14 or 15 then yes, the work is there. Again, the biggest part for me is the individual's goal. Finish versus compete. (And also very important, very closely, their background).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Over the last 11 months below is my total training

Run: 154 activities 1149 miles 176 hours
Bike: 156 activities 4330 miles 262 hours
Swim: 78 activities 110 miles 75 hours

Very solid training... I am feeling seriously under trained

I will post my numbers... similar situation 1st IM at the end of August after a couple of seasons doing 70.3's.

Run 140 activities 999km 99hrs
Cycling 293 activities 6198km 278hrs
Swim 28 activities 66km 21hrs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good effort.

Out of curiosity, did you stay pretty consistent at approx 11 hours training a week?

I've never been able to put on a full consistent year like that due to life stuff..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little bit about me. Iam 52 years young, full time job and family. I ran my first mile ever AT the young age of 46. From that first mile I did my first oly at 47, first marathon at 48. Since then to now, about 5 half ironman and now my first full in two weeks. My goal is around 14 hours ti finish. I Ann not likely to do much better. I followed a build, sustain and peak (I think those were the names) and a lot of good advice from st. Essentially I built up my training over time starting with about 10 hours a week and peaking at 20. My swim is horrible and I came to terms with the fact that Iam not going to break ant records, just wanted the endurance to get through it in one piece. I have done the full swim distance in open water several times and feel ready. I hope to have a reasonably good day but bottom line, I just want to finish with a smile, a big smile. Thanks for all the advice I got here throughout the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey dude...

I'll be there for IM MT as well...probably not as well trained as many here on ST think should be the min, but out there to have fun anyway! I'm bib 1965...hope to see you out there! Good luck with your race.

Spot

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Hey dude...

I'll be there for IM MT as well...probably not as well trained as many here on ST think should be the min, but out there to have fun anyway! I'm bib 1965...hope to see you out there! Good luck with your race.

Spot

Looking forward to it. I am bib 1911. See you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training is about the same. More swimming, faster running, less biking. Third year doing triathlons, second IM. My first IM was not IM by ST standards, so we are in the same boat :)
Last edited by: Katia: Aug 2, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Some fun facts about my training for my first Ironman, IMMT [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have seen your running times :) Aren't you on the Garmin IMMT group?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Yes, I have seen your running times :) Aren't you on the Garmin IMMT group?

Yes, I am :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the reply and update. Huge props on where you've come from and where you're going.

Based on your training numbers and goals, I think you are in great shape. Well done. Enjoy Tremblant, fantastic place, amazing venue, organization that is second to none. You will have a blast.

Good luck,

Quote Reply