Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso?
Quote | Reply
A while ago I made an investigation of cyclists leg length in relation to their total length. Inner leg length can be measured e.g. by holding a book or thin binder against a wall, while at the same time pressing it firmly up against the crotch and measuring from the floor. You must be two persons to do this properly.

The results were:
Average total length = 185.3cm (6"1')
Average leg length = 85.4cm
Relative leg length = 46.1% (85.4/185.3)

If you have really short legs you are close to 40%, really long legs are around (or even above) 50%. This was done only on male cyclists and does of course include length differences above the shoulders. Still, it should give some idea of your stature.

You are welcome to add your own data
/Kevin
Last edited by: multi_kev: Nov 19, 05 3:14
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [multi_kev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 72 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam. I am Little Leg Man! or Captain Torso!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
32/72=44.4%, which isn't too far from average, but on the short side.

/K
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [multi_kev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
68" tall with 29" inseam

42.06%

Long torso, very short hairy legs, I am Badger.
Last edited by: Badger: Nov 19, 05 16:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75" with a 37" inseam. Leg length is 49.3%

Paul
Last edited by: zipp: Nov 19, 05 4:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height: 6'1.5" (73.5")
Leg Length: 36.75"
Relative leg length: 50%

-jamie
Last edited by: mindtrip: Nov 19, 05 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went back and did it properly, instead of from memory

Height 5'10" (was 5'11" - I'm shrinking with old age!)

Leg 34.5" (was 33.5" - at least something'g growing!)

Relative: 49.3%
Last edited by: Greg66: Nov 19, 05 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have short legs. No short torso.
oh well, I have both :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
65 inches short

31 inch inseam

47.7%

Not really sure what this tells me. I'm really slow, so maybe I'll use this as my new excuse.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hgt 67.5
inseam 32.5
48%

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height 185.5 cm

Leg 88cm

47.4%

I guess I got long legs.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 6'2" and only a 33" in-seasm, I am definately a short-legs-long-torso type.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be curious to see what the other gals percentages are.

31"
66.5"
46.6%

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 174cm with inseam of 85cm for a ratio of 48.9%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
opsss.... I forgot one little thing. I'm 75" tall, with 36" inseam on the right and a 37" inseam on the left. That makes me 48% on the right and 49.3% on the left. Got hit by a car in 1980 and a knee operation in 1976. This all adds up (or subtracts) to a short right leg by 1".

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70" tall with a 32" inseam = 45.7%

My problem is that my lower back is always tight no matter what I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
34.5"
71.5"
=48.3%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
179 cm and 80cm inseam for 44%.
Is this applicable to any general observations re bike makes/types?
Should low 40% be looking for longer top tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [boomermc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Should low 40% be looking for longer top tubes?
Possibly. At least, if you feel at home on a frame with a long top tube, then you know the reason. For fitting to a road bike you obviously need to include arm length as well.
/K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't read all the posts. Sorry if someone else already said this.

I'd like to see 2 things to go with this:

1. All you who are anteing up your personal dimension data ... do you know your speed over a flat 40k course? I'd love to correlate this data with speed.

2. I've always heard that long relative femur length has a high correlation to cycling ability (greater leverage or something like that). I wonder what the averages there are ... and correlations to speed, again.

Bob C.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neat, but mayber there is a better way to measure this - say inseam and the sternum notch. I am 72" with a 34" inseam (47.2% ratio ) but a big friggen melon. Long legs, short torso.
Quote Reply
Re: Some body statistics, do you have short legs or short torso? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a gal.

69.5 " tall

33" inseam

47%

based on looks, i am definitely a long torso/short legs person.
Quote Reply