Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Some Ventum Facts [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Your attitude is a perfect example of what I am referring to.....

No your attitude is.

Brilliant retort.

Likewise. It is people like you who think the whole world needs to reolve around the way you want things to be run that ruin a nice place like this. Entitlement society.
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you really hit it with this post. I would wonder with how the bike or tri market is, why would anyone ignore potential customers? It's not like the bikes are flying out of the stores and in short supply. Work every market to have a chance, and questions are good. You validate your products and show customers that you give a shit. I don't get this arrogant posture shown by a few….

chaparral wrote:
Power13 wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Not an excuse just facts. Sorry but 99% of people that are demanding information will never buy. They will reply as they always have.

Ding, ding, ding!!

I know of several manufacturers that don't participate here because they feel that there are data geeks here that have zero intention of ever buying their products but simply want to show how smart they are by playing "stump the product manager".

And yet the most successful bike companies in Tri do have people that participate. And the majority of replys to these reps are thanks or some other positive response to them participating. Why do companies like Felt and Cervelo punch well above their weight in the tri market? Why do huge brands like Cannondale and Scott get beat by these smaller guys? If those companies wanted to succeed in the tri market, maybe they should be looking at what these smaller companies that are beating them are doing. I am not saying slowtwitch is responsible, but maybe the attitude and philosophies of these companies is what makes them successful, that same attitude and philosophy is makes them open to participating in slowtwitch. The reps that are willing to play the "stump the product manager" game are the ones with solid product in the first place and know how to communicate, that is important to not just slowtwitch, but selling their bikes in general. The reps that do not want to play that game show a symptom of why their products are not as successful as they could be. Look at something like Scott and the Plasma, why is that not selling like hot cakes? It is a great bike, but it seems like they do not care about that market (see Dan's articles about it). Not having Scott on this board is not the reason it is not selling, but it is a symptom of why it is not. I am also guessing that the product managers experience on this site also feeds back into the future products, since they know what the market is looking for.

Sure lots of people asking the questions will not buy the product, but it is not just the people asking questions you are selling to, it is also the people reading. I bought a Felt DA and it was on my list of bikes largely because of Superdave and his responses on this website. He had very good responses that showed that Felt had a solid engineering philosophy. Felt was not on my radar before, but now Felt is definitely on my list for my next bike. And I have told lots of other people to look at Felt when they ask me what sort of bikes to buy. So those people that asked questions, sure they did not buy a bike, but I did because of their questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:

No your attitude is.

Brilliant retort.

Likewise. It is people like you who think the whole world needs to reolve around the way you want things to be run that ruin a nice place like this. Entitlement society.

Wait, what?

Holy hell dude...I'm saying the exact opposite. Turn that mirror around - "I WANT TO SEE THE DATA!! WHY HASN'T VENTUM GIVEN US THE DATA YET?!? "

Unreal....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still think you guys are being way too hard on this product.
Did Dimond really release anything much more meaningful? Are they on this forum all the time?
Again, no new frame is going to be some magical game changer, just not that much improvement to be had.
If you hate the way it looks, don't buy it. And like the Dimond, don't buy it thinking you are magically going to be faster. Even Rapp said his Dimond rides much like a normal bike, no magic. Wrong reason to buy these frames.

Yes, trek etc has more representation on here. They are also a slightly bigger company....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:

No your attitude is.

Brilliant retort.

Wait, what?

Holy hell dude...I'm saying the exact opposite. Turn that mirror around - "I WANT TO SEE THE DATA!! WHY HASN'T VENTUM GIVEN US THE DATA YET?!? "

Unreal....

This is unreal. First we have you stating how manufacturers won't come on here to support their product because they feel there are some on here that will just argue and show how smart they are without having any real interest in the product.

Then we have you come in here and state how your opinion is right and you just want to argue that and show how smart and right you are. This thread is about the Ventum. Not about you.

Holy flipping hell man. Give it a break. #mindblown.
Last edited by: burninglegs: Aug 28, 15 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:

No your attitude is.

Brilliant retort.

Wait, what?

Unreal....

This is unreal. First we have you stating how manufacturers won't come on here to support their product because they feel there are some on here that will just argue and show how smart they are without having any real interest in the product.

Then we have you come in here and state how your opinion is right and you just want to argue that and show how smart and right you are. This thread is about the Ventum. Not about you.

What's amazing is...this is a bicycle. All of this negative energy spent arguing about a bicycle.

Mind blown indeed.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Not necessarily pointed just at you ..... We all discuss WT protocol as well has how data is presented here on the forum. Who do you think has published the best, most comprehensive data that we could all say "Hey this is the standard".

Lets say we specify the A2 tunnel and we are talking about a complete TRI bike.

I thought Diamonds data was good. Any others?

I've sometimes thought testing should be done "as is - how you buy the bike" crap wheels and seat included.
Other times I think everyone is going to replace the "training wheels" with disk and 80 front so they should all just be tested that way.

It would be great if we could establish some kind of comprehensive, detailed and fair protocol - a detailed "how we want that data to look when presented - and see if manufacturers will adopt it. Or at least get close to it. It would be better than every company testing other bikes against a P5 and working the numbers to their advantage.

I think the issue with the data Ventum presented so far is that Faster is known to provide poor data. Not to mention, Ventum showed the P5 doing things in the tunnel that no one else has shown, not even Cervelo. So this calls into question the validity and quality of this data. Not to mention we know Ventum has data from A2 which tends to be of higher quality than Faster. So the question is, why hasn't Ventum released that data? Of course they are going to get called out on their Faster data. Of course they are going to get called out on not publishing their A2 data. Anyone with a critical mind would ask those same questions.

Regarding who has the 'best' aero data, I think one needs to understand the limitations of the particular aero testing and the specific way things were setup and what conclusions can be drawn from it. No test is going to be perfect. No test will give you an answer to every question you have. But multiple 'quality' test start showing trends and you can start inferring things from that. So if a company wants to set up bikes with stocks wheels vs. stock wheels, that data might be valid for that setup, but not really valid for the real world if customers are going to use Zipp/Enve/Hed/Flo type wheels. Not everyone has access to a Dave Z mannequin for their testing.

While not perfect, I think Cervelo, Felt, Trek and Specialized tend to do a good job with their white papers and aero testing. Not that any of them is perfect, but they tend to do a good job I feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:
burninglegs wrote:
Power13 wrote:

No your attitude is.

Brilliant retort.

Wait, what?

Unreal....

Pssst.....you're the one making it about me instead of the point I am making.

Carry on....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also thought the discount on the bike was a good deal.
I will keep you all posted on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about another topic? I like ice cream.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have asked questions about products before in forums and not had quick replies but that does not mean I write them off because they suck at answering questions. I send them an email directly which normally shows I am serious at which point the service and response time significantly is reduced to minutes most times. I have done this with frames and may other custom and stock items.

There is only a finite amount of time during the day to get everything done. A forum is the least of my worries if I am running a business. Getting my product out to paying customers, answer customers direct that are serious about my product or services and the rest gets fit in when possible.

You can say what you want but ST is not going to make or break this business.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 28, 15 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which flavor icecream do you store in the 1.4 litre tub?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are thinking about buying a DA just because Superdave has answered some questions on ST about it??? That is a pretty stupid reason to buy a DA I have to say!!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

I do try to get on here more and keep up with the discussion and do appreciate the input. We are dealing with customers who contact us directly first with sales, comments, or questions on our website or support email (support@ventumracing.com). I'm in Austria racing the World Championships and even though I know my race won't be as good as I would like it to be, I am here to race and focusing on the experience. If you are here in Austria and see me, stop me and say hello I would love to meet some of you.

Someone mentioned before that you would like to see a universal protocol for Wind tunnel testing. We completely agree and would love to have a protocol all companies test to or better yet a third party conduct testing so there is no data altering. We are willing and eager to test against any brand and we always welcome input into how we can improve our brand and product. We not only focus on aero testing but strict structural fatigue testing to ensure the bike is not only stiff and fast but safe and durable. We encourage every bike brand to conduct the testing even though it seems like a few don't. We not only want to produce the best bike we can we also want to help push the bicycle industry to develop and push the engineering envelope. We passed the EN 14781 and then put the frame back on the testing gig to conduct another 25% of the cycle. We have had no frame failures and we can say we pass the standards by more than 25%.

We thank everyone on here posting actively for your discussions as it helps us even though we are not on here everyday posting replies. Yes the bigger companies are more active on here with more staff and we will endeavor to be more active as we grow. We understand that a lot of the people asking questions will probably never buy a bike but they can influence other's who will. If you do want fast replies please feel free to contact us directly as we are much faster with those replies. Even if you have a question you want an answer for on here you can post our reply on here as we are much faster with our email responses.

As for the A2 data which a lot of you are asking about. We released the Faster data instead of the A2 because the Faster data was the latest data we had. As mentioned in my previous posts, the A2 testing was done with our prototype and even though is still comfortably outperformed the competition, it is not our production bike and therefore we thought it could have opened us up to criticism (we should have known we would be open to criticism no matter what we put out there). Here is what we here at Ventum propose: we go back to A2 after Kona and test against the top 3 bikes voted on by ST users. We will post a poll on our website in the coming weeks on our website and share the link. The only thing I ask is that you help us secure the bikes chosen. As a small company, we cannot afford to purchase competitor’s bikes just for wind tunnel testing. Perhaps some of you may be willing to lend us your bike or perhaps you work or own a bike shop that sells these bikes? We will pay for shipping (round-trip) and the wind tunnel, which you all know isn’t cheap. I would like to invite any and all editors from ST and other publications to come witness the testing and report on it. I stand by our statement that the Ventum One will comfortably beat any other bike in race trim (2 water bottles) no matter where those bottles are secured. In fact, we will test all different permutations and show the results. Does this sound like a good idea or is this a waste of time?

Thank you again for all the discussions we really do appreciate it even though we are quiet on here.

Cheers,

Jimmy

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [JimmySeear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i applaud the challenge and response. off the top of my head, one of the issues you'll run into, of course, is controlling all of the variables (i.e. components) on frames that are lent to you. Either you'll have to have several iterations of Ventum One's with you, with a variety of different component sets, or you'll have to source very specific bikes, which may make it all that more challenging.

That being said, I am sure that right off the bat, James Haycraft can snag you a p5 in whatever setup you need, and he's local...

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck this weekend at the race.

Gotta admit, that's a pretty legit response. I'm sure someone will find some fault with it somewhere...so to anticipate that, might I propose something?

If you (as in the general reader of this topic) don't agree with any detail(s) of the protocol above, make (practical) suggestions on its improvement. There are lots of smart people on ST, let's put our collective minds together and come up with a nice "baseline" wind tunnel testing protocol.

*Nope, I don't know Mr. Seear, nor anybody at Ventum. Nor am I in the market for a bike, much less a TT/tri bike.
Last edited by: Cafe Lactate: Aug 29, 15 2:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ohhhh, treck sc, P5 and Felt IA? Maybe a scott? Wish i was local to you, you could have had my trek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P5-6 (54) that you can have for testing after B2B. No need to ship as I live in Charlotte. All I am asking is to watch! If you need a rider on top of the bikes, well, I'll just happens to be there.
Last edited by: Baboonator: Aug 29, 15 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd vote for SC9, P5, and Dimond.
That said, they are all going to be so close, who cares.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy,

If you are coming back to A2, get in contact with James Haycraft. I'm somewhat local to A2, about 2.5 hours away in the Raleigh, NC area. James is the closest person I know to A2. I can possibly source an IA for you from someone I know. Shivs will be easy to get too. I know the Dimond rep, Chris, if you want to get a hold of him. Also, contact Desert Dude and Ex-Cyclist. Both Brian and Heath have done a ton of aero testing. Maybe even call Jim at ERO. I would love to come watch this test if you didn't mind having some local athletes come join the fun.

James, Brian, Heath, and Jim have done so much testing that having them there would eliminate any bias. Thanks for the response and opportunity to prove your results again!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 29, 15 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another vote to test against the Trek SC (with bottles and draft box), the IA, and the P5. On another note, am I the only one that finds this bike to be an eyesore?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can test my IA but only if you fix the rear brake!! Haha
Im 3 hrs from the A2
Last edited by: spasmus: Aug 29, 15 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote would be Speed Concept 7/9 (same bike as far as the wind is concerned), P5, and either the Plasma 5 or the new Orbea Ordu. If you were to do it in mid-November there's a chance I could meet you guys there with my Speed Concept (size large).

Edit: after thinking a bit more, I'd put my third choice to the Felt IA. Seems like those have become pretty popular. So Speed Concept, P5, and IA. Also, I'm only really interested in either bare frames or rider plus hydration. The latter doesn't look as good from a marketing perspective for you guys but it's more relevant to the serious aero crowd here on Slowtwitch. Putting a bta bottle on a bare bike is a drag penalty, putting it on a bike with a rider onboard means it's either drag neutral or drag negative.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Aug 29, 15 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Some Ventum Facts [ak_piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ak_piper wrote:
Here's another vote to test against the Trek SC (with bottles and draft box), the IA, and the P5. On another note, am I the only one that finds this bike to be an eyesore?

Personal preference. I find the new Canyon TT bike ugly as hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if it was mentioned elsewhere...
Where is the bike actually being manufactured?
Quote Reply

Prev Next