Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Solid Food for 70.3 Bike
Quote | Reply
What are some of your favorite things to use during the bike portion for those of you that take in solid food? Even more specific would be foods such as rice cakes or some sort of balled up concoction. I have one recipe that I use and like a lot but looking for some other ideas. I also have Feed Zone Portables so I know most of the recipes in there as well. Just want to hear who has used them with success like I have. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: LSchmitt: May 22, 15 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Solid Food for 70.3 Bike [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peanut butter and jelly bonk breaker bars
Last edited by: 1xatbandcamp: May 22, 15 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larabars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tortilla with almond butter and jam rolled up then wrapped in saran wrap :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Solid Food for 70.3 Bike [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you all don't mind expanding a little bit. Do you also take in liquid calories or just water? How many of each item do you eat to get your total calories? Last year I used Honey Stinger waffles on the bike with really good success. This year I have been experimenting with making my own things. Some have worked well and some haven't. It is always fun to try new things though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skratch Labs and a bottle of Skratch Labs mixed with plain Gen UCAN. It depends on the race distance and location too. If I'm travelling I just use gummy bears :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skratch Matcha Lemon in my bottles.

I carry two chewy nuts/seeds bar:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2097638/multiseed-flapjack

I realize this will be fattier than most people would like. It works well for me. I replace the golden syrup by brown rice syrup and blackcurrants by raisins and I cook it a bit more than what it says so it holds better (35ish minutes at least). One batch gives me about 12 bars of roughly 225 calories each (wait until completely cooled to cut). With Skratch, that gives me about 300 calories per hour on the bike.

I also carry a Clif blok pack - I eat this before the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic bars. Easy to open, eats to eat easy to digest real meat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do an oatmeal cream pie (100 cal) and fig newtons (4-6 at 25 cals each for 100-150). Cheap. Easy. Digestible. Effective. Yummie.

That, plus about 250-300 liquid cals in sports drink.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To piggy back off the epic bar suggestion, I say thunderbird bars if you want a non beef bar. Very few ingredients, date or apricot based, and good.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
What are some of your favorite things to use during the bike portion for those of you that take in solid food? Even more specific would be foods such as rice cakes or some sort of balled up concoction. I have one recipe that I use and like a lot but looking for some other ideas. I also have Feed Zone Portables so I know most of the recipes in there as well. Just want to hear who has used them with success like I have. Thanks in advance.

SodaStream Cola (with real sugar) in my bottles. Stroopwaffles make up most of my solid calories. They're like Honey Stingers but cost about half as much and they are delicious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 Fig Newtons equals 100 calories and anywhere between 100~150mg of sodium. You can even get them fat free if you are seriously worried about them possibly wrecking your stomach. Very easy to carry and eat to boot. I've been wanting to try Pop Tarts sometime as well, but those would have to be broken up.

I had 4 packed into my bento box for Honu 70.3 this past weekend, but for the first time I didn't even touch them. Turns out that I didn't really need them, but it's always good to be a bit overprepared on nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
What are some of your favorite things to use during the bike portion for those of you that take in solid food

Bananas. No littering penalty, cheap, available anywhere, tasty, easily digestable, adjustable glycemic index (different colours)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many things make me sick when I run (rice was recently added to the do-not-eat list), so I have been experimenting with homemade energy bars. I put oatmeal, dried fruit, and salted cashews in a food processor and add just enough apple juice to bring everything together. Then I roll it out and bake it just long enough to drive off the extra liquid so the bars will set up and not be sticky. I cut them into squares and put them in baggies where they stay good for weeks.

I haven't used them in a race yet, but I eat them in training with good results. They let me get about 200 easily digestible cal/hour and my stomach is fine.
Quote Reply