Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soaking Wet
Quote | Reply
 Looking for input here: Especially during long races I frequently dump water over my head.. or put Ice inside my cap. But, my feet end up screaming at me. Once my shoes get all drenched - I start getting blisters. If I refrain from water dumping - I dont get blisters. I'm using quality (non cotton) running socks on long races - no socks on sprints or olympic distance. Is this problem avoidable?
Quote Reply
Re: Soaking Wet [Charlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you might need to toughen your feet a little maybe. Check out the book "Fixing Your Feet". It has an awesome chapter on blister prevention.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my shoes to fit snug through the heel and mid section... but to have lots of toe room - both in front and side to side. Then there is very little rubbing on the sides and top so wet feet/socks do not matter. I use the 'ironman' labeled socks with the seems on the outside - thin ones only.

It is a personal preference and one that took a while to come to. I run in the rain - plus there are enough other things to worry about besides getting my feet wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the thinnest socks I can find (currently the wigwam Triathlon extra light, or something like that). One longer runs, I'll wear 2 pair, this seems to move the friction point to in between the socks instead of my foot.

you could also try shoes with more mesh, since they would allow excess water to drain better, and more air to help with evaporation. Adidas has some seriously meshy shoes. though I've never even tried them on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have exactly the same problem...

My only solutions has been to not get my feet wet... If I dump water over my head... I try to lean forward so it won't run down to my shoes.

Also, I have seldom done triathlons during the rain... if I do, I rub vaseline (and not just a little bit either) all over my foot. That helps,... but I also throw a pair of extra dry socks (placed in a plastic baggy) in my pocket.

Lot of trouble, but hey!... It's more annoying to have blisters. I'll give up the time changing socks before I'm willing to screw up my chances of depleting my training time for the following week.

For me, conditions of the race dictate the strategy.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would echo what Joe said... except i use body glide...

I put a glob of it on the heel of my shoe (no socks) but I would imagine that you could put it anywhere you get blisters...
Quote Reply