Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smartass Camp - Day III
Quote | Reply
Another fabulous day in Las Cruces! I hadn't slept much last night, suffering from allergies - so I was up sneezing and blowing my nose every 30min or so. Good times. Needless to say, I wasn't terribly well rested. Today's plan had a challenging swim (w/ paddles), an easy Z2 bike, and a challenging run. I have to take it easy on my shoulders, as they're injury prone and dislocate very easily - so Paulo told me to cap the workout at 1500m. He neglected to specify whether the 1500 included the warmup, so I "played it safe" and hopped out after about 1600m total. I also never touch paddles, due to the shoulder thing. Everyone else donned paddles and did drill sets and swim sets galore. I did the same workout (sans paddles) 'til I hit my limit, then hopped out for a shower - getting lots of great hot water. :)

Zach hadn't made it to the pool, so I picked him up along with my bike in Danny's truck and we headed back to the pool to drop off a stem. Then it was off to Paulo's to kick off the ride. It was pretty straightforward. 1.5-2hrs easy, z2. We rolled out in a big group and hit a chipseal road that was kind of bumpy, but I'm always happy to be on my bike - so I teased all the guys on fancy carbon rigs who were complaining about the rough surface. Jonnyo and Zach started up a double paceline, so I hopped in line, fairly confident that I could trust jonnyo's wheel. After I pulled off, I noticed that the group was very small. Hmmmm... Now I can roll with these boys all day as long as they're just chatting and farting around, but when they decide it's time to ride I'd get blown out the back pretty fast - so I sat up and waited for the main group to catch me. Unbeknownst to me, Jodi flatted right around this time and Miranda stopped to help her. The rest of the group rolled up and we carried on some approximation of a paceline, with jonnyo making sure we knew wheere we were going and with me playing the role of nervous roadie in a group of triathletes. Overall it was very pleasant ride, with only one incident where a truck buzzed us - very slowly and about 6" from my elbow. Upon arriving back at the apartment, we discovered that Miranda had dragged Jodi around on a fairly quick "z2" tour - but they had fun as well.

We had several hours before the run, so several of us headed off to IHOP to refuel. There was a little more vehicular confusion as I tore apart Paulo's apartment thinking I had lost Danny's keys, only to discover that BigZach had taken off with both keys and truck. must. communicate. better. Will was kind enough to lend me his car, so I made another quick trip t the pool to drop off a basebar for Danny and then Miranda and I headed to IHOP. I also noticed Danny's truck in the lot. D'oh!

Lunch was a slow but decent affair, and we all rolled back to Paulo's to chill until the run. Laptops appeared out of nowhere, and a few shenanigans went on including a very nice letter to everyone from BigZach expressing his deep appreciation for jonnyo and suggesting that we should buy him a cheesecake. Chocolate with strawberries, I believe, is his favourite.

The run was a planned 30min warmup followed by 30min of z3-z4 progression, and a cooldown - all on a dirt "trail". Getting to the trail however, we ran through undulating sand dunes that had me wondering if Paulo was training us for a race across the Sahara. Min 20-30 of my run was extremely painful. Not to say that the first 20 were in any way easy, but that last 10min of my "warmup" truly SUCKED. This is what I get for running all of once since maybe June. I walked for a bit after I hit 30, and then ran some more. Will came flying by with BigZach in tow - will looking great, and BigZach looking like he was suffering. Danny flew by me as well, totally focused. I finally caught up with Paulo and we ran together for a little while before stopping at the top of a hill to assess people as they went by. No, I'm no run form judge but it was nice to stop :) After everyone had finished their 30min build, we rolled back to the apartment in a big group. I rolled in trailing behind, but glad to have made it back on my own. For a while there I was plodding along dreaming of one of Danny's mountain bikes. Then, out of nowhere, a woman on a horse appeared less than 50m away. My run-induced halucination then turned to her coming to my rescue and sweeping me up onto the back of her horse, where she would deliver me safely back to Paulo's. I even dreamt of that wonderful moment where we'd pass by all the runners, and I could wave to them weakly from the back of my saviour's horse. Alas, it was not to be. She never came any closer and I ended up running all the way home.

Some of the girls and I went out for dinner, and then it was home to bed. Paulo is in fact right now on MSN, telling me to go to bed. (He busted me last night when, awoken by my allergies I decided to check in @ ~22:30)

That's it for now, although I'm sure Jodi has something up on her blog as well.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Smartass Camp - Day III [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great minds think alike- I just posted my report a couple minutes ago.

Oh, what I would give for a pick of you on a horse overseeing all of us suffering our asses off today. That run was killer!!!

Now I hope everyone is going to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be gruesome...

:-)

Jodi

ps. Thanks for the ride Miranda!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
khai.....i been very impress by your riding in the last 2 days....you show a lot of comfidence and seems to be studying everyone and preparing something special........i will not be suprise by a big attack on a ride soon......i m getting nervous everyday....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair to fast Will since there are two Will's here that was Mr. Ronco who was leading the charge with Sam Walton's long lost love child and not me, slow Will.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: will: Mar 12, 07 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: Smartass Camp - Day III [will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, I won't object to being called "fast will" but I saw you running out there, you weren't going slow at all. You were cruising along pretty fast when I saw you.

Good work by everyone today! Can't wait to take tomorrow off after Paulo leaves!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, congrats on getting Sahara runners into a totally unrelated thread, you are the man! Lots of eating with some training interspersed it would seem. Nice. What's the ice cream like ;-)

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm insanely jealous of all of you - Zach, Jodi, Khai, Jonnyo, et. al. Sounds like a ton of fun.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartass Camp - Day III [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard that Jonnyo being in charge will make Paulo look like a pussycat - we have to be ready for MORE!

Jonnyo never tires - he is fast in everything - and in Z2 the whole time. He is running in the heat in layers of winter clothes to prepare for hotter runs.

Jonnyo is a "men of steel"

LOL!!
Quote Reply
Re: Smartass Camp - Day III [PoolDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is the king of the jungle there is nothing more to say. He is the Lion of Las Cruces.

He lead his pack of lions to catch up to me at the stop light. They are fearsome.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply