Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread
Quote | Reply
This Monday, September 1st, is the 9th edition of ÖTILLÖ, the Swimrun World Championships, taking place off the eastern coast of Stockholm, Sweden. Ö TILL Ö is Swedish for "Island to Island" because 2-person teams, 150 of them (the event is capped and sold out this year AND next), race over land and sea across over 20 different islands in the Stockholm Archipelago. It consists of 75 total kilometers of which 65k is running and 10k is swimming. There are rules, most importantly that teams must finish together and finish with all the equipment they start out with. That makes for an intriguing race as racers swim with their running shoes on and run with their wetsuits on in order to save time in the transition between legs.

What started out as a drinking bet challenge (not unlike another popular endurance event) issued by a hotel owner to his staff has now evolved into a sold out event, recently featured on the front page of the New York Times as 'one of the toughest one-day events in the world', with limited additional qualifying spots held at minor races in Sweden and Switzerland.

I'm here to learn more about this sport of Swimrun that is spreading like wildfire here in Scandinavia. If you've read any of Dan's recent op-ed features lately or listened to his interview with Bob Babbitt, you'll notice a reoccurring theme on Slowtwitch challenging us to consider what it means to be a multisport athlete. These Swedes seem to have it figured out how to make getting from point A to point B a captivating adventure so I'm going to take you inside their world these next few days. It will be learn as we go.

In the meantime, here are some links to past stories we've compiled over the years on ÖTILLÖ:

Interview with 3-time ÖTILLÖ winner Jonas Colting
'08 Race report from Colting
'09 Race report from Colting
Link to LIVE race day coverage
Images from 2014 ÖTILLÖ
A Look Back at the 2014 ÖTILLÖ
"Where to do an ÖTILLÖ Swimrun in the US" Slowtwitch Forum Thread
Last edited by: larsfinanger: Sep 17, 14 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [larsfinanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great interview on a big Swedish breakfast show about OtillO.
You just need to understand Swedish to get something out of it :-)
http://www.tv4.se/nyhetsmorgon/klipp/petter-deltar-i-stenh%C3%A5rda-t%C3%A4vlingen-swimrun-2955058

Everybody should check out the course. It is a though one, but it is in a beautiful area http://www.otillo.se/course/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great to see ST raise an eyebrow to this cant wait to see a similar event here in the states!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are departing Stockholm in an hour for the 2-hour ferry ride out to the archipelago.

This past week was the coldest all summer according to locals and with it, colder water temperatures. Organizers are expecting the Baltic Sea to be 50-55 degrees on race day tomorrow! I believe to enter a race like this you must know what weather you might encounter, but nonetheless, 8-15 hours is a long time to spend in rough conditions.

I plan to post a few updates on equipment choices teams make on race day and general observations. As a novice to this world, it seems to me a flexible attitude and a good teammate would be the most important two qualities a racer can bring to this course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lars,

This event has that special cache that propelled Ironman.

I have wondered if you could get close to replicating this race in the Apostle Islands off Wisconsin...a USA version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...speaking of equipment, can you explain why they allow hand paddles? Ive searched for an answer but have come up short.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They use hand paddles to overcome the drag caused by wearing running shoes in the water. Many of the teams also use pull buoys for additional floatation, even one or two teams with fins. The rules allow for additional equipment however the kicker is that a team absolutely must finish the race carrying everything they started with.

So, while swimming with fins allows you to swim faster, it is not conducive to carrying on your body while running.

With 26 islands the race goes over, there are over 50 transitions that must be completed. For this reason, most teams complete all of the swims wearing their shoes to save on transition time.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new equipment?....running shoes with a flip up fin section when running....bungie a pull bouy to your thigh and slide to the outside when running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look forward to the coverage - that race is on my bucket list, sounds like a proper challenge and a ton of fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt where this ferry is headed to!

After a 3-hour ferry ride from downtown Stockholm to the archipelago, we arrived at Sandhamn which is the START island.

Race directors Michael Lemmel and Mats Skott (both former world class adventure racers in white sweatshirts) greeted each of the 242 racers (121 teams) to the archipelago.

Returning overall winners Björn Englund (SWE) and Paul Krochak (CAN) at check-in

Despite long lines at check-in, the mood was festive and light amongst racers.

The mixed team of Tracey McQuair (CAN) and Matt Lawrence (GBR) shared their equipment choices for Monday's Swimrun. Some equipment is selected as optional and other pieces are mandatory for safety purposes (compass, first aid bandages, whistle, GPS transponder). Lawrence is fresh off racing Challenge Penticton one week ago but the team was selected in ÖTILLÖ's lottery and the opportunity was too good to pass up.

All 242 athletes squeezed into a cozy banquet room for the mandatory race briefing which was littered with humorous stories from past ÖTILLÖ runnings.

The race kicks off either at 5:55AM or 6:05AM tomorrow morning (Monday, Sept 1) depending on a massive ferry that passes the island of Sandhamn each morning. The race directors receive a call from the pilot and determine the official start at 5:30AM. It is part of the flexible approach they urge competitors to take throughout the day. A live webcast can be found on their website HERE and is rumored to be an impressive display.
Last edited by: larsfinanger: Aug 31, 14 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race morning minutes before the start of the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championships.

Björn Englund (SWE), half of last years winning team, warming up prior to the start and shows the kind of equipment choices the top teams chose to wear however there were many other arrangements seen from other teams including: small backpacks for storage and hydration, tow ropes and fins. The only rule is that the team must arrive at the finish with the same equipment they started with.

My teammate, Oriol Guillamon (ESP), was a three time ÖTILLÖ finisher and had us racing with a light equipment load. I carried a small backpack throughout the race that he attached a tow rope to so we could stay connected during the swim passages and it also contained some hydration and stored our mandatory safety equipment. Almost all racers wear compression legs in order to keep legs from bruising and getting cut on tree branches, rocks and the difficult terrain navigated during the run legs.

Petter Askergren (aka Petter) is the most popular Swedish rapper and was paired with Runner's World Magazine's Jojje Borssen. He competed in six Swimrun events in order to prepare for ÖTILLÖ and uses his athletic platform to inspire young Swedes to get outside and be active. Hard to imagine Jay Z or 50 Cent doing the same in the US.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lars,

Race report please....

unsolicited opinion:

I think they should limit equipment options to wet suit and forgo the pull buoys and hand paddles. Unnecessary complications that you think you might need to be competitive. I guess I would allow towing since its a team event.

Another thing....making it a 2 person team event may limit growth. I think they should allow solo. Teams helped kill off Adventure racing which is a sport that is a shadow of its former self. Once you have a team mate you have issues with them dropping out before the event for all kind of reasons and sometimes its hard to find one that is matching your ability. I would make this primarily a solo event with two person teams as an option but not the main show.

thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Lars,

Race report please....

unsolicited opinion:

I think they should limit equipment options to wet suit and forgo the pull buoys and hand paddles. Unnecessary complications that you think you might need to be competitive. I guess I would allow towing since its a team event.

Another thing....making it a 2 person team event may limit growth. I think they should allow solo. Teams helped kill off Adventure racing which is a sport that is a shadow of its former self. Once you have a team mate you have issues with them dropping out before the event for all kind of reasons and sometimes its hard to find one that is matching your ability. I would make this primarily a solo event with two person teams as an option but not the main show.

thoughts?

If you look at the growth of swimrun events in Scandinavia the 2 person team pairing is not a limiter. A 2 person team makes it a lot safer since we are talking about swimming. Most of these competitions are in salt water and in typical Scandinavian archipelago setting so a pair is a lot safer. Also, the run legs of many of these compensations are not easy and can beat you up quite a but either through length or vegetation.

Here you have some of the swimrun competitions.

http://www.otillo.se/

http://xterraswimrun.com/

http://www.rockmanswimrun.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is amazing. If it makes it to the states I am 100% going to search it out and compete. I also like the team aspect and while I wouldn't be opposed to a solo division that long of a race seems much more enjoyable with a friend close by. This is great!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another place this could work is the Boundry waters in minnesoata...although I am not sure about permits.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of pics on our home page:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...2014_TILL__4574.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool deal Lars. If there is anything like this in the Texas area lets' let me know and I'll partner up with you. I actually go by my middle name - Jussi - so we should be the prohibited favorite for any race with Scandanvian roots.

Do people where their shoes while swimming? I would think it was best to take them off and drag them behind you in some kind of home-made flotation device.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of the lucky to get a spot in this fantastic race.
As a former long distance triathlete im thrilled with having a team mate to chat with during the race (and also for security reasons).
The rules gives you the chance of testing and inventing equipment but most of us comeback to the same conclusion.
Paddels and pull boey lets the leg rest and minimizing time in transitions is key. Always keep moving and only pull down top of wetsuit on runs longer than 5K.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stunning photos -- you really managed to capture the spirit of the event in this gallery! really no such thing as a bad photo with a backdrop like that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Lars,

Race report please....

unsolicited opinion:

thoughts?
I have done this race twice (last year and this year). The pull buoys and paddles are not complications: it's you choice. Nothing is forcing you to use them. It's just options to play with and to find the best compromise. It also makes it fun to figure out what works best for you.
Regarding 2 persons limiting the growth. First it's a safety issue, but this is a small point. Second the organisers are not aiming at becoming the new WTC. Illimited and uncontrolled growth is not the objective. Respect of nature and the communitiy arefar more important. Third racing in pair makes it such a different event, creates a completely different atmosphere from solo racing. It's about sharing, helping each other and also fellow competitors if needed. my 2c, I hope it will not change fundamentaly

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A brewery provided a special label ÖTILLÖ beer for finishers and spectators alike.

Happy finishers Stina-Cajsa Berlin (SWE) and Ulrika Wernstähl (SWE) proud of one another and their race.

Cheers for the two Johans!

The Andersson brothers, Mats (left) and Jesper (right), are two of the four Swedes who were responsible for coming up with the idea of swimming the length of the Stockholm archipelago and wagered a bar tab and hotel accommodations to the winning team. As the story goes, it took both teams two days to travel the 75km, and upon arriving they were all too tired to bother with squabbling over the drinks. Mats and Jonas Colting (center) are the only men who have raced in all nine ÖTILLÖ's to date. Note: we could not identify who the photo bomber is in this photo on the far left to give him name credit for his race finish!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colting greets his fiancee Elin Lilja (right) and her teammate Eva Marie Wergård (left) at the finish.

Co-Race Director, Michael Lemmel, greeted each team at the finish as he has done for the past nine years.

The operations expert on the team, Co-Race Director Mats Skott (right) posed with Daniel Hansson (left) one of the members of the winning team.

RD's Lemmel (left) and Skott (right) bid farewell to the ferry full of racers before finishing the work of island to island clean up so the race may go on!

One of the plusses of competing as teams is bonding time, as was the case with the overall women's winners, a mother and daughter combo, as well as North Carolina's team of Jan Kriska and son Matus. Next up father Jan is running Tor des Geants in Courmayeur in the Aosta Valley this upcoming weekend with Matus as his support.

There was Slowtwitch representation abound throughout the weekend, here showing the ever-smiling Francois-Xavier Li or "Fix" on Slowtwitch.

The winning mix team of Johans Udehn (left) and Ulrika Eriksoon (center) with Jesper Andersson (right). Andersson has committed to being on the starting line next year for the 10th anniversary running of ÖTILLÖ!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the many attractions of Ö till Ö is the two-man team concept! Unlike most other endurance endeavors this is something you experience and share with a friend. As a long-time competitor in triathlons I truly appreciate the possibility to race as a team!
-Lars, very happy that you got to see the course mano a mano:)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed! Matt Lawrence and I got in on merit from our previous race results after chatting 2 years ago in their Croydon living room. Super excited I travelled back from Canada with he and his wife after Matt raced Challenge Penticton. We thought he may be tired, but I was the one that got extremely ill. Having a race partner helped to keep me going. Our goal then changed from speed to getting to the finish line together and it's a racing bond we built. This is not like any other race...it was memorable in its own special family like way. Will I go back...hopefully one day...minus the sea sickness :) thanks for the memories!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch at ÖTILLÖ - Official Thread [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like a lot of competitors are wearing shin guards - I assume this is to protect them from rocks in shallow water? Seems like it would be unpleasant running that far in them.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next